PPL: Diamond, Cirrus, or Cessna?

Do you have experience teaching in a plane like that? Its not that much different. We still use maps, plotters, navlogs, etc, pull the power to 50% and its a great 172.

Do you have experience teaching in a plane like that? Its not that much different. We still use maps, plotters, navlogs, etc, pull the power to 50% and its a great 172.

I have some. I teach in a SR22 G3 turbo some on the side. I have done one private pilot in it and some instrument training. Things happen very fast in that airplane compared to a 172. I think it is a great plane, dont get me wrong. But I think it could be a little too much for a new private pilot. You dont get good breaking stalls in it like you do a cessna, and personal preference, I think everyone should learn to fly in a six pack.

One great thing about it, 185kts to the practice area saves some time!

I am a 172 guy myself. I chuckled eveytime a CPL came in for a checkout and didn't know a thing about a 172. Isn't there a regulation that you have to have a certain amount of hours in a 172 to even be a pilot?

There should be.

I am a 172 guy myself. I chuckled eveytime a CPL came in for a checkout and didn't know a thing about a 172. Isn't there a regulation that you have to have a certain amount of hours in a 172 to even be a pilot?

There should be.
You know, I have 300 something hours in a 210, 60 or so in a 206, 50 or so in a 177 Cardinal, 35 or so in a 182, a few in a 152......

but not one single hour in a 172

Where do I turn my certificate in?

You know, I have 300 something hours in a 210, 60 or so in a 206, 50 or so in a 177 Cardinal, 35 or so in a 182, a few in a 152......

but not one single hour in a 172

Where do I turn my certificate in?
Perhaps he meant to say a certain amount of time in single-engine Cessnas ;)

I would recommend the cessna. I flew a diamond after all my training and was surprised at how forgiving the airplane was. It didn't seem like it would stall or even come close to a spin. Training in the cessna will teach you to respect stalls and spins. I wouldn't want to go through training without having a healthy respect for those dangers.

I recommend the Cessna as well. Another personal choice, but I believe everyone should start learning with the analog gauges. Now, I know you can't buy a 172 anymore like that, but still, there are MANY sky hawks that don't have a G1000. Think of it this way, once your done with training, what are you going to be doing? I can almost guarantee any airplane you will fly after training will have steam gauges. We have a student here who did his private training in a G1000, and now he's doing his instrument with analog gauges, he's having a hell of a time. But when myself, and others went to fly a G1000 after learning with analog instruments, it was an easy transition.

I'd opt for the Cessna. It's the most common type around, so you may as well get checked out in one. The Diamonds are fun too, but I'd save it for rentals once you obtain a PPL.

Would you like to fly a sports car or a pickup truck?

Cessnas handle like crap, the 208 feels like a dump truck. The Diamond is really reponsive and fun to fly. It will spin nicely, and the slick airfram will teach you to mind your airspeed carefully.

OTOH, sitting under a bubble canopy in the Texas summer should be banned as torture. In flight wasn't too bad, but the nessecity of having the canopy down durrign taxi was murder.

OTOH, sitting under a bubble canopy in the Texas summer should be banned as torture.
Tachometer
Oil pressure
Manifold pressure
Altimeter
Temperature sensor (liquid-cooled)
Oil temperature (air cooled)
Fuel gauge
Landing gear position
Airspeed indicator
Magnetic compass
ELT
Seat belts & Sun Glasses

Tachometer
Oil pressure
Manifold pressure
Altimeter
Fuel gauge
Landing gear position
Airspeed indicator
Magnetic compass
ELT
Seat belts & Sun Glasses

And Sunscreen!

Most have the painted top now a days though, makes for a much nicer ride!

Tachometer
Oil pressure
Manifold pressure
Altimeter
Fuel gauge
Landing gear position
Airspeed indicator
Magnetic compass
ELT
Seat belts & Sun Glasses

You didn't list all that from memory, did you? Or just remember one of the thousands of acronyms?? :D :sarcasm:

Is it possible to get some time in the Diamond AND Cessna during my PPL training, or is it best to just stick to one or the other until I have my license?

I've had a couple students fly a different airplane during their training, either due to plane availability or just the desire to try it out. It is usually a good experience. Variety is the spice of life...

I would, however, focus and plan on doing most of your training and the checkride in one plane. I wouldn't switch back and forth very often. It'll save you time and money.

Back