PPL: Diamond, Cirrus, or Cessna?

MattC

The FBO that I'm looking at for my PPL offers a Cessna 172, Archer III, Diamond DA-20 Eclipse, or Cirrus SR-20.

I'm leaning towards the Diamond right now, but have also considered the Cirrus. My only question is this: With Cessna's being the most "available" aircraft at most places, will the transition from a Diamond (or Cirrus) to a Cessna if I rent from a different airport at a later time be relatively smooth?

The FBO that I'm looking at for my PPL offers a Cessna 172, Archer III, Diamond DA-20 Eclipse, or Cirrus SR-20.

The cheapest one.

As far as transitioning, I did all of my primary training in a 172 and I did 5 aircraft checkouts this year (C150, Flight Design CTSW/CTLS, Gobosh G700S and a Piper Archer III), most only being an hour checkout that is required for insurance purposes. Once you get your PPL, you should be able to transition to different SEL airplanes rather easily.

Go with whatever's least expensive-to a point as long as it's properly maintained and not duct taped together with half the systems inoperative. Sometimes what's cheapest isn't the best value, but on the other end, the most expensive airplane may not be the most efficient for primary training.
Relative to Cirrus, you'll probably be able to solo a bit more quickly in a Cessna/Piper plus have the option of using grass fields; I've never flown a Diamond so I can't comment on them. There's more to learn systems and avionics-wise in a glass airplane like Cirrus, so that will take time. My opinion-for private training glass adds nothing, and can be a distraction from learning the basics of stick and rudder skills, pilotage and dead reckoning. Learn the basics in one airplane, then after you pass your checkride, transition into different types.
More important than the airplane- find a good CFI at the school that you have a good rapport with, and make sure you can understand what s/he is teaching you.

As above. Whatever is cheapest. Spend your time and effort finding a good CFI who is suited to your method of learning. The type of airplane just isn't really important at all for what you need to learn.

I'd vote the Diamond. I did my private in one and I love that airplane. Easy to fly airplane.

It's usually not very expensive either, since it has a geat fuel burn and good speed.

Plus it looks like a big dragonfly (I always thought anyway!).

Go as cheap and low-tech as possible.

In fact, if you can find a guy with an old taildragger, that'd be even better. Wish I'd learned to fly in a J-3 Cub.

Then, you'll have money afterward to get checked out in other airplanes.

I liked flying the DA20 a lot - fun as hell, but every FBO I've talked to that has one grimaces when you ask about maintenance.

C152s and C172s are bulletproof. They will take a tremendous amount of abuse.

I agree with everyone else, go with the cheapest. I have flown both the Diamond and the Cessna. I prefer the diamond. When it comes to transitioning it is easy. Most of our student checkout in the cessna in about an hour.

If you're even considering getting a PPL in a Cirrus, I'm going to disagree with the "do whatever is cheapest" posts. Obviously in your case, money isn't much of an issue.

Having said that, I still wouldn't get your PPL in a Cirrus; fly the Diamond or the Cessna. Learn how an airplane flies, learn how to scan for traffic, learn how to navigate, learn how to use the radios and THEN jump into the more advanced airplanes.

An Aeronca Champ, Piper Cub, or Citabria will make you a better pilot than any of the above mentioned airplanes. They will teach you to actually fly the airplane and once you have that down you can fly almost anything well.

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I'm going to use the Diamond DA-20 (which is also the cheapest). After looking at the Cirrus some more, it became kind of obvious to me that it may not be the best aircraft to start out with.

Cheapest is a personality thing, I don't have the money so I go cheapest. If you have the money, do what ever you want and don't worry about the check out at a different school. That is something that you can't control, it is there insurance minimums normally. Once you become a PP transitioning is not very hard. The hardest thing to transition that I have seen is from steam gauges into A G-1000. So from the check outs I have given it has never been the aircraft that has been take the longest but getting checked out in the G-1000. So again, I vote that you do what you want.

As far as transitioning goes, I had a PP student that did most of his PP training in a C-172 and in the last couple of hours transitioned into the DA-40 for his checkride. It is not a hard transition, do what feels best.

You made the right choice.

I'm training in a 150 right now. It might be kinda tight (I'm kinda tall) but I'd rather that then pay $20 more/hour.

You made the right choice.

I'm training in a 150 right now. It might be kinda tight (I'm kinda tall) but I'd rather that then pay $20 more/hour.

Amen. I'm 6'7" and I did all my PPL training in 152s. I think it's a lot more fun to fly than a 172 myself.

I am 6'5 and I have a student who is also 6'5, we have gotten a few comments from others when we get out of the C-150.
C-150 is great on head room. i love it.
Diamonds are tho worst for tall guys.

I'm leaning towards the Diamond right now, but have also considered the Cirrus. My only question is this: With Cessna's being the most "available" aircraft at most places, will the transition from a Diamond (or Cirrus) to a Cessna if I rent from a different airport at a later time be relatively smooth?

Good choice on the DA20. I learned to fly in the 172 and flew a couple times in a diamond and it was really easy to fly even though it uses the center stick. Lands really smooth when learning to fly.

I'd choose whatever is CHEAPEST! No gives a rat's butt what you got your PPL in. Get your time (as many ratings as you can, or desire) as cheaply as possible and THEN worry about what a/c to fly.

Edit: After quickly reading through the thread, I see I'm not the first to suggest 'cheapest.' So, with that in mind, what do you think that should be doing to the neurons in your cranium??? CHEAPEST, CHEAPEST, CHEAPEST. Looks like your gonna go that route.....good luck to you!

Cheapest

But certainly NOT a Cirrus.

The Cirrus is not a primary training airplane.

Says who? I teach Primary students in a SR 22 GT3 2008 Model with the Garmin 1000 Perspective, Synthetic vision. All My students have done extremely well, and the one student who transitioned to a 172 had no problem with it.

A Cirrus at 50 % power burns only 8 GPH and still flies 120 knots at only 50% power.

just because you're a good instructor in the cirrus and your primary students are responsive dosn't mean the whole world is that way. I'm glad you train your students well in the cirrus, but most around here know my view on those pilots.

Back