Pot

canuck goose

Last December I was at a party with some old friends I had just reunited with, the party was coming along fine, I drank a bit but I was still fine. We were a good bunch, but I knew maybe 15% of the people there, the rest were friends of the friends. At some point it seemed like a group of people decided to light up their %$@# joint in the room ... I realized it after maybe 1 or 2 minutes when the smell started filling up the room, needless to say I grab my coat and told my friend I had to go.

That was last december, now we're May 5th and I have to take my class 1 mecidal soon and I'm scared • that they find something in my urine (the pee in the cup test) even though I did not smoke ANY pot (only breathe the smell in the room for a couple of minutes) and it's been about 5 months now.

What do you guys think?
Thank you.

I don't even think the pee test is a drug test, I think they check for sugar level etc as warning signs to diabetes..

I don't know if you'd have tested positive for THC even the next day. I don't think you have anything to worry about, and the urine test isn't for a toxicology screen anyhow.

Eh, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. Some of my not-so-brilliant friends, (outside of the aviation business), have had to take drug tests, and they only laid off the leaf for a month or so beforehand, and they passed.

Thank you guys for your input, that's reasuring!
laugh.gif

I knew I guy who took the pee-test after having been a pot smoker (the prior year I think). He came up "clean."

I wouldn't worry, and I thought that just being in a room wouldn't affect a urinanalysis, just hair samples....?

The urine screening is how they check for diabetes, they check the sugar level, or something like that.

[ QUOTE ]
The urine screening is how they check for diabetes, they check the sugar level, or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, they check for ketones--the byproduct of your body using fat for metabolism instead of sugar. Actually, a person on a low-carb diet (like Atkins) enters ketosis--they burn fat for energy.

I don't think the flight surgeon regularly checks for narcotics during the flight physical, but as much as it pains me, I do my best to avoid social settings where as*holes smoke pot.

Sometimes when I go to concerts, I'd like to take my louisville slugger and bash some stoners head in when he lights up upwind of me at a concert.

GRRR that makes me mad because I've got to move somewhere else so doofus can get a buzz.

But it's not worth my career by being in that environment and I don't want to even have to worry about something popping in up in my hair sample (if taken) or uninalysis and have to use the story that some punk at a concert lit up nearby me.

[ QUOTE ]
I do my best to avoid social settings where as*holes smoke pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto.

You did the right thing by leaving.

It's good that you are scared... More people should be. Here is the good news.... You'd have to preety much stay in a pot smoke filled room all night for it to register. Yes, it takes a lot for it to get into your system that way.

Being in the Military and subjected to random urinalysis for almost 20 years, you learn about the tests. IF you truly didn't smoke, you're fine. Don't waste any more energy worrying about it. As far as your future in aviation?????? You may want to find some new friends...... You don't want youre name in the paper during a bust or something.....

Here's a question...

My sister lives in Amsterdam where it's perfectly legal to smoke wacky tabacky. Sometimes at parties people will light up a joint in the middle of a conversation. They know I don't smoke and usually I will just remove myself from where they are and go to another room or go inside. It doesn't bother me that they smoke because I see myself as a guest in their country and in their homes.

Would you leave the party? What if it's YOUR birthday party? (Happened to me last summer, my sister had a big birthday party for me over there) It's not my place to ask them to stop.

Like I said, I didn't knew too many people at the party and those were not my friends. My friends are pot-free but they tolerate people who smoke next to them, while I don't, that's why I left.

[ QUOTE ]
Would you leave the party? What if it's YOUR birthday party? (Happened to me last summer, my sister had a big birthday party for me over there) It's not my place to ask them to stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's not my party I would leave, if it's a party organized for me I will throw the potheads out and make sure they know they're not welcomed next year. Like Doug said, I don't consider that my career is worth a dumba*s smoking some pot, I could care less if they're mad because they've been thrown out.

Now here's something something I'm not happy with.

Your SIster and your friends should have enough respect for you and your wishes. Let them know how you feel about it and they should accomidate you. If not, find new friends and let your Sister know that she's welcome to visit you at your place but being at her place while that kind of activity takes place bothers you. I think they will come around.

If it were my party, damn straight I'd leave. I'd first give the ultimatum them or me.....

Aviation is not a forgiving career for drug use..

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you would have to give up your dreams and just run for President or something instead.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely correct.

Had a girl down the hall from me in Freshman year come down to the water fountain like 16 times in a row to fill up a glass. Me being curious, I walked outside and asked her what was up (I knew who she was). Well I guess she had smoked up earlier that night at a party, and had to take a drug test (pee) the next afternoon for track (Big-Ten NCAA). So she was drowning herself in fluids. I kinda gave a "ha, good luck" and thought what a way to waste a college sports career. Two days later I asked her how it went, and she said it came up clean.

No worries my friend. Second hand takes a long time to settle in. If you were smoking, it would be a different story. If I remember correctly hair samples can last a LONG time to give you up, but pee tests will not after a few days.

This is why so many cops are still smoking up!
shocked.gif

It takes about 30 days for the weed to get outta your system when it comes to a pee test.

My Mom is a nurse, she's given the tests before and know how they work.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Back