Pot

Guess that shows how good our NCAA testing is...
shocked.gif

Hello Goose,

Where's Maverick? (Couldn't resist!). Nearly the same thing happened to me a few years back...went to concert on SoCal...lot's of pot being smoked all around me...next day I had a surprise piss test (I was in the military)...passed with flying colors!

Don't worry, be happy!

JR

Canuck
Its funny how cunuck rimes with your f*****d, kidding. Your first mistake was being in an enviroment that could compramize your future but more importantly your reputation, as earlier said you could be the "innocent" bystander when the deal goes down and your caught up in a bust. This is something you will spend the rest of your proffessional life explaining away, no muligans here for youthful indescretions. That said, if you are innocent and I will assume nothing less, the second mistake you could make is "confessing" this on your next flight physical. If you need to clear your concious go to confession but don't put anything down on your permament record, reams of paperwork will surely follow. I too had a simular experience when I was a PP, my roomate lit up in my car and even though I had him put it out right away I drove home with my head out the window, I must have looked like a dog.

Be very careful.

I knew a guy who would brag about how he could smoke marijuana, take "XYZ" before his test, wait a period of time, or do a certain thing that was known to skew the test results to show "negative" got fired during ground school when his results came back positive.

The point is U DIDN'T SMOKE and that's what's important.
Though you might want to dump your friends...sorry buddy but everybody is right...u don't want any bust or drug related incident anywhere close to your record....
Unless u want to fly in the pot biz...
tongue.gif

I shouldn't be a problem, considering it was five months ago. I wouldn't worry about it. It was a good thing you left though.

What about Vicotin? (for medical purposes of course, wisdom teeth removed). Will they except a medical release saying it was for medicinal purposes or does it need to be completely out of my system before I can get the certificate?

Yes. So long as you provide the documentation indicating that it was perscribed, and you're no longer on it, it shouldn't be an issue.

Paul

Oh please......some of you here speak as if marijuana is the worse thing ever......

I'm not a smoker myself, but there are really far more intoxicating legal substances, such as alcohol.

The governments policy on marijauna is totally irrational, though drugs and alcohol have absolutely no place in the cockpit.....or while driving for that matter.

Sorry, Eric, but if you want an aviation career, marijuana is the worst thing ever ... so is alcohol, ecstasy, cocaine, and everything else out there. You've got to be as clean and pure as the wind-driven snow if you want to make it in this business. Yes, that does mean excusing oneself if your friends are going to light up.

I got called a "dork" a lot in college, but I stayed far away from drugs of all kinds. Guys would smoke pot in my dorm, I'd go hang out in the library or computer lab instead. That's why, on random drug test day at Riddle, I could have cared less, and guys I knew were mixing Clorox in their ice water and other dubious (and dangerous) concoctions in an attempt to fool the drug test.

I don't care what your opinion is on the dangers (or absence thereof) of marijuana, but if you want a career in aviation, DON'T even THINK about it. I don't even eat poppy seeds for this reason! A positive test will follow you for eternity, and is the kiss of death to your career.

Having never tried it, I don't know how good the high can be. But even if it is ten times better than sex (something I doubt) ... IT IS STILL NOT WORTH IT. ONE JOINT CAN RUIN YOUR CAREER FOREVER. Don't even think about it. Don't even think about it. Stay away, stay away, stay away. I can't say it strongly enough, stay the hell away from any and all drugs of all kinds. If you want to smoke pot, then consider a career in burger-flipping, because that's where you'll wind up if a random test pops up at the wrong time. IT IS JUST NOT WORTH IT.

Sorry for the lecture, but this is a topic I feel VERY strongly about. As Hayden Fox would say, "Bury it. Bury it with a shovel and then bury the shovel." Flush it down the toilet, throw it in the river, get rid of it forever.

FL270

No, I am completely in agreement with you on that one. I was speaking about it (intoxicating substances) generally, and not nessasarily related to aviation. Note that I said that drugs and alcohol have no place in the cockpit.

I admit I used to be a smoker a few years ago, It never became a habit or anything. Right now I don't smoke anything, and drink only occasionally, as I would like to keep my medical certificate for as long as I'm able.

Thats interesting that you mentioned drugs at Riddle. I would think at a school like that it wouldnt even be attempted. I guess there are some careless/reckless people out there.

[ QUOTE ]
Thats interesting that you mentioned drugs at Riddle. I would think at a school like that it wouldnt even be attempted. I guess there are some careless/reckless people out there.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, that's what I thought too, until I got there and saw differently. Stupid people are everywhere, even at Riddle. That said, the guys I knew who were in to pot (or worse ... one of my roommates freshman year came home on the down side of an acid trip ... "interesting" to say the least) did not graduate. Most dropped out after the first or second year. They just weren't motivated to do what it takes to get through. The program can be tough if you're not willing to put forth the effort.

FL270

Wow......what a waste of money....

The way I see it, if you gonna fork over $100 000 +, you should be serious about passing.......

You've given me a whole new perspective...

You'd think that not just about Riddle, but about Harvard or Emory or Vanderbilt or any of hundreds of highly competitive, expensive, and academically elite universities throughout the country. However, students at all of them get involved in drugs, alcohol, etc. My one piece of advice to anybody going off to college is you have got to be strong enough to say NO. You'll get laughed at by your "friends", you may have to leave a happening party early (or skip it altogether), and the hot sorority chick might not take you back to the house at the end of the night. Especially in aviation, even a single mis-step with drugs is doom.

In every college I've ever heard of (including Riddle) drugs and alcohol are everywhere. Especially among freshmen, who are reveling in not being under Mom and Dad's thumbs anymore, their abuse is rampant. Watch out for it.

FL270

How's that song go
"driving that PLANE high on cocaine"
ohh.. wait, it's train! damn maybe I should be an engineer.. JK
smile.gif

So do they drug test on a first class medical?
I didnt see it in the FARs

Back