Possible Everglades crash

Guess I should stop complaining about the traffic out here...sounds like you guys have it WAY worse out there. I have mentioned before, but the PCAS is the best $500 I have spent since getting involved in GA. Of course it won't eliminate the risk, but can help mitigate it!

... really scary stuff. I've had my share of close calls out in that practice area. The really aggravating thing is that often guys (esp on the weekends) will fill 123.45 with stupid conversation - not position reports.

According to another forum the practice area frequency is 123.3.... 123.45 commonly known as "the fingers frequency" (or uncommonly perhaps) is a pilot BS frequency. Not officially, but whenever I've been flying and guys want to talk they'll say call on that frequency. I'm not trying to nitpick, as they hopefully were making position reports, but ya gotta get the right #s...

When I was at Airborne Systems at FXE, I would take my students East of the shoreline between PMP and PBI airspace. There was never any traffic and always an airport to glide to if needed.
:yeahthat:
I'd even get radar services from PBI approach.

According to another forum the practice area frequency is 123.3.... 123.45 commonly known as "the fingers frequency" (or uncommonly perhaps) is a pilot BS frequency. Not officially, but whenever I've been flying and guys want to talk they'll say call on that frequency. I'm not trying to nitpick, as they hopefully were making position reports, but ya gotta get the right #s...

123.45 is used for Coral Springs practice area and North Perry practice area. Other practice spots around S. FL use the other freq.

It is annoying when you are trying to listen for other aircraft while Joe and Mike are talking about what he did to to get his grass so green.

... really scary stuff. I've had my share of close calls out in that practice area. The really aggravating thing is that often guys (esp on the weekends) will fill 123.45 with stupid conversation - not position reports.

Whats even worse are the guys that are speaking in spanish on the training frequency. Gets really annoying fast.

While I was training out there it was really busy. Lots of great weather days, but the increased chance of a mid-air didn't seem worth it for me to CFI down there.

Man I wish I could say something more substantial than RIP. :( I would like to see the cost of those PCAS systems come down so people would be more inclined/ could afford to buy them.I know it wouldn't solve all the problems but getting more out there could only help.

These stories are always sad and tragic for everyone involved. With deepest sympathies, RIP fellow airmen.

RIP.:(

In San Diego the practice areas would get pretty congested and I remember we got a new 172 that had a bendix panel that had traffic on it. The amount of planes that would get close to you that you wouldn't have noticed without it was an eye opener for me. After that I always made the trek a little farther east up into the hills and got advisories whenever possible.

Anyone have the tail number of the Cessna?

********************************************************************************
** Report created 12/8/2008 Record 2 **
********************************************************************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 369ES Make/Model: C172 Description: 172, P172, R172, Skyhawk, Hawk XP, Cutla
Date: 12/06/2008 Time: 2020

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: Y Missing:
Damage: Destroyed

DESCRIPTION
N118TP, A PIPER PA44 AIRCRAFT COLLIDED MIDAIR WITH ANOTHER AIRCRAFT,
** Report created 12/8/2008 Record 2 **

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 369ES Make/Model: C172 Description: 172, P172, R172, Skyhawk, Hawk XP, Cutla
Date: 12/06/2008 Time: 2020

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: Y Missing:
Damage: Destroyed

DESCRIPTION
N188TP, A PIPER PA44 AIRCRAFT COLLIDED MIDAIR WITH ANOTHER AIRCRAFT,
N369ES, A CESSNA 172, UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, THE FOUR PERSONS ON
BOARD BOTH AIRCRAFT WERE FATALLY INJURED, WRECKAGE LOCATED 12 MILES FROM
HOLLYWOOD, FL

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 2
# Crew: 2 Fat: 2 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: METAR 1953Z 19008KT 10SM BKN060 27/13 A3001

OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Unknown Operation: Other

FAA FSDO: SOUTH FLORIDA, FL (SO19) Entry date: 12/08/2008

, A CESSNA 172, UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, THE FOUR PERSONS ON
BOARD BOTH AIRCRAFT WERE FATALLY INJURED, WRECKAGE LOCATED 12 MILES FROM
HOLLYWOOD, FL

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 2
# Crew: 2 Fat: 2 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: METAR 1953Z 19008KT 10SM BKN060 27/13 A3001

OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Unknown Operation: Other

FAA FSDO: SOUTH FLORIDA, FL (SO19) Entry date: 12/08/2008

How effective is flying over the ocean though for someone that is working on his private or commercial in respect to ground reference maneuvers?

Heck, I think I'm gonna just finish my private down here and work on the rest somewhere else after I'm done with school.

How effective is flying over the ocean though for someone that is working on his private or commercial in respect to ground reference maneuvers?

Heck, I think I'm gonna just finish my private down here and work on the rest somewhere else after I'm done with school.
"Turns about a boat"
"8 on a pier"
"s-turns on the shore"

Sun-Sentinel said:
On Dec. 8, 2007, two propeller planes crashed about a mile west of Lox Road, near the Palm Beach County-Broward line. Both pilots were killed
That's crazy. Just about a year since the last one.

Can someone comment on the fact that this is the 3rd mid-air GA collision in as many months? I KNOW that the ADS-B system is out there, it cut GA mid air mishaps in Alaska substantially...why is the FAA or AOPA or someone not insisting on implementation here in the lower 48? I looked up ADS-B the other day and saw that even china has it up and running over large swathes of their territory. So, even the chinese are kicking our butts when it comes to trying to improve air safety.

Perhaps Obama will add this to everything else he has promised to fix.....

Does it cost THAT much more to have the traffic advisory feature on the GPS enabled? It seems like every school down here that I fly with has it disabled.

Back