Please post your interview questions(and answers)!

[ QUOTE ]
You're at minimums on the approach and the captain continues, what do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it was you Doug that said that you would key the mic and tell the tower that you're missed approach. I like that approach to the problem as now he's dedicated to going missed and it's on the CVR.

The key the mic answer is generally viewed as a "wise-ass" answer.

The first priority is to verify that someone is in control of the aircraft, i.e. the captain is not incapacitated.

The rest is all up to your creativity
wink.gif

Wise ass eh? Descending at 600 FPM from 200' requires action and quickly. You don't know what's down there below your DH and you don't have time to find out.

I'll take being a wise ass while not running into the approach lighting short of the runway over possibly damaging an aircraft and getting a violation.

Violations are bad, right John?

John don't argue with me - argue with the guy on the other side of the table at your next interview. See how far you get.

In the industry it's considered a smartass answer, I'm just passing on the info to you.

Here's a couple:

1) If your groundspeed on an ILS approach is 140Kts, what would be your approximate rate of descent to maintain the G/S?

2) How could you calculate a Visual Descent Point if the Instrument Procedure does not publish one?

[ QUOTE ]
1) If your groundspeed on an ILS approach is 140Kts, what would be your approximate rate of descent to maintain the G/S?

[/ QUOTE ]

gs/2 (then add a 0)

140/2=70 (add 0)

700 FPM

confused.gif

swing

Glide slope is an angle so it should be a constant 623 fpm (or whatever the number is) no matter what airplane you're in, right?

??? Not sure., I am recalling what the CFI's at my fbo use as a general rule. GS/2, then add the 0. Not sure if that is exact....will look into at the fbo and dig through my notes..

It's a constant 3 degree angle (for most ILS's) but it is definitely not a constant rate of descent. The divide by 2 and add zeros is the accepted trick. So 140kts = approx 700fpm.

I know that 120kts is exactly 648 fpm.

VDP is a also a common question on interviews and on orals. You use 300' per nautical mile. Calculate the AGL of the MDA and divide by 300, and you get the distance to the VDP.

Question [ QUOTE ]
Captain gets off the elevator in a red dress

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer[ QUOTE ]
call missed real real loud to let him/her know your intentions regardless...also to get it on CVR just in case

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It's a constant 3 degree angle (for most ILS's) but it is definitely not a constant rate of descent. The divide by 2 and add zeros is the accepted trick. So 140kts = approx 700fpm.

I know that 120kts is exactly 648 fpm.

VDP is a also a common question on interviews and on orals. You use 300' per nautical mile. Calculate the AGL of the MDA and divide by 300, and you get the distance to the VDP.

[/ QUOTE ]

VDP, remember GuS wears a HAT. HAT over GS in degrees (2, 3, 4, whatever), or GS divided into HAT. Take that value and walk back from the beginning of the runway on the IAP chart to get the location of the VDP (in DME/nm) from the runway.

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a couple:

1) If your groundspeed on an ILS approach is 140Kts, what would be your approximate rate of descent to maintain the G/S?[ QUOTE ]

Two ways to do this: first as described above, a) take the groundspeed and drop the zero (14), b) divide this number by 2 (7), then c) multiply by 100 (700fpm).

Or,

take the groundspeed and multiply by 5 (140 X 5) = 700fpm.

[ QUOTE ]

2) How could you calculate a Visual Descent Point if the Instrument Procedure does not publish one?

[/ QUOTE ]

A VDP can be determined by DME or Timing.

To calculate VDP in DME from the end of runway,
HAT/300 = DME
Ex, HAT at MDA = 450' therefore, 450/300 = 1.5 DME from the approach end of runway.

To calculate VDP in minutes from the final approach fix,
Timing to MAP - HAT/10 = minutes to VDP.
Ex, Timing FAF to MAP = 2:00
HAT = 400'
therefore, 2:00 - 400/10 = 2:00 - :40 = 1:20 from the FAF.

[ QUOTE ]
Now for the follow up question,

Is it ever permissable to descend below the MDA prior to reaching the VDP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing prevents you from descending below MDA prior to VDP if your in compliance with 14 CFR 91.175(c). CAN you descend below MDA prior to the VDP? Yes, but you're risking possible obstacle clearance issues, yet if you feel you can keep clear with a shallower than "normal" descent angle, nothing prevents you from doing so. SHOULD you descent below MDA prior to VDP? I wouldn't, but that's just because I want to insure obstacle clearance, especially from something I may not see. BL is, if you descend prior to VDP, you're guessing that you see all the necessary visual cues for descent angle and obstacle clearance. If you descend at VDP, with the required viz and runway environment in sight, there should be no doubt of obstacle clearance.

I was thinking of the interview situation. If a VDP is defined for an approach then I don't think you are allowed to descend until past it.

JT is right on the missed approach thing. Be ready to take the aircraft. You are there for all the folks sitting behind you, not just to tell on your captain to ATC prior to letting him/her crash the airplane. Calling missed might not hurt, but it doesn't increase the aircrafts lift either.

You are at an outstation airport scheduled to fly a one-leg day back to your domicile. When the captain shows up for the flight, you notice a strong smell of alcohol on his breath. What do you do?

EDIT:

Variation. Same scenario, however the crewmember in question is the Senior (Flight Attendant).

Back