Please answer!

dpgtime

I would like some personal opinions on whether or not this is the right profession to enter into. I am about to lay down some serious bones and have a few thoughts that constantly nag at me..

Is aviation the right career path? (would you go into it now)

Will the aviation industry pick up within the next 5 years?

Will there be enough students to CFI for aviation self improvement and time building?

Will the regional airlines hiring pick up to pre Great Depression levels in the next 5 years or is that too short of a time frame?

In your opinion have we entered a new era in aviation?

Thank You,

:confused:Darren:confused:

1. I wouldn't go into any fast-track program or get in to debt. Pay as you go and just take your time.

2. Who knows? It is cyclical, but we are in some dire straights as far as the economy goes.

3. Probably not. CFI shouldn't be thought of as "time building", IMO

4. No way

5. Who knows?

1. Is it right for YOU?

2, 3, 4. Who knows? You can only guess, right? I mean, is anyone for sure about the future?

5. Perhaps. "I think... blah, blah."

That's a pretty personal choice you have to make.. I thought it was.. Lately, I am rethinkin' it.. Do you want a career where the first ~10 years you make little to no money, are gone a lot and then start making better money and are gone almost constantly for the next several years?

No telling.. A better question is, if it picks back up, will it rise above what it was?

Each fall in the "cycle" leads to lower bottoms.. Like, if it was a 10 and fell to a 9.. well.. it's not going to rise back to an 11.. it's going to come back at a 8 or strong 7.. then it's gonna fall again.. where will it rise to?

In a relatively short period (30 years or so) this industry has gone down hill in terms of pay, treatment, etc.. The days of "Catch me if you can" are long gone...

Will there be enough students to CFI for aviation self improvement and time building?

Another good question.. Many are talking of a pilot shortage, since the career has almost become... not worth doing.. to many and thus, no one is learning to fly.. It's also very expensive right now.. So who knows.. I know the rental birds out at the local airport can sit for days and not move...

Will the regional airlines hiring pick up to pre Great Depression levels in the next 5 years or is that too short of a time frame?

Another who knows question.. Right now, the regionals are not worth working for, based on pay alone.. I mean, I'm a 3rd year FO making $27K base pay... However, I am one of the lowest paid FO's in the industry... soo take that for what it's worth..

Once the 65'ers start to get out of here (and with incentive packages like what UPS just came up with and what FedEx is working on supposedly) they may start hiring again.. Right now, there are tons of guys on furlough, so.....

I think so.. I personally think that the industry is in a continual spiral downward.. I am seriously trying to find a way out..

There really isn't anyway to predict those things. I really like what I do, and personally I would probably do it again. Like others said, I would avoid going into loads of debt to do it right now. I admit my luck/timing has been better than some here on Jetcareers. At least I am stuck in the left seat with relatively good senority. Like everyone else your milage may be better or worse. Regardless, you are going to run risks in any career field you choose.

Any regrets? I wish I had started younger and I wish I had strongly pursued the military route. Worth checking out if you ask me.

Like everybody says, have a good backup degree or marketable skill (Skills with a bow-staff, nun chuck skills and cake making skills don't count. :) )

Personally I think things will improve greatly in time, though I couldn't accurately tell you when. A couple of years maybe?

For me, its a perfect fit. I make my own schedule and its hands on work. Would I go into it now? Hellz no, way too expensive.

probably, of couse it might pick up in the next two years, then tank again in the third or fourth so I will say year five looks pretty grim.
I have had no shortage, in fact I have a waiting list. But my experience means nothing in relation to what you may or may not experience. Instructing is not for timebuilders.

Prior to the great depression things were pretty slim, I mean airmail and barnstorming was pretty much the only game going outside the military; and even they didnt have much going on

no, we are in the same era, just a new epoch.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading an article last week that airlines will continue to cut back on flights and have no vision for expansion in the upcoming few years. I think it also said Delta is going to cut another 5% Domestically and another 10% internationally.

I got out and started my new career Monday, not sure if I like it yet or not but oh well, right now its the only thing I could find.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading an article last week that airlines will continue to cut back on flights and have no vision for expansion in the upcoming few years. I think it also said Delta is going to cut another 5% Domestically and another 10% internationally.

I got out and started my new career Monday, not sure if I like it yet or not but oh well, right now its the only thing I could find.

What are you doing now?

Prior to the great depression things were pretty slim, I mean airmail and barnstorming was pretty much the only game going outside the military; and even they didnt have much going on
LOL Exactly what I was thinking!
Sorry but I don't have anything to contribute to this thread.
But to the guy who said planes at their school can go days without being touched, thats crazy to me. The ones where I go are always out, though to be honest I don't think there are many there trying to do this for a career. Lots of "just for fun" people, which is perfectly fine.

Truthfully? No. If I was starting college again, I'd major in mechanical engineering or something and fly for fun. As it is, I may be looking to scale back on the flying and move into something else.

It's a crapshoot. I subscribe to the "DOOOOM" school of thought and think we may be just seeing the tip of the economic iceberg.

This one's interlinked with the question of the economy. Do what you can to avoid instructing for time building. It will burn you out. Believe me, I'm there.

Very doubtful.

Maybe not aviation specifically, I think more our overall economy.

Thanks for the responses! I would like to clarify that I would have my training paid for by my generous family. Therefore I would not be accruing financial debt....Does this change the nature of the beast?

(I already have my private parts and did the instrument written)

Now there is a college word for you.. :)

I'm going to have to find a way to use that in a sentence..
"Well Nigel, the Planck Epoch was by far the most fascinating of all the epochs wouldn't you agree?"

"Oh my goodness no Hans, I would proffer the Oligocene as the most scintillating of all!"

(can you tell I'm drunk?)

Thanks for the responses! I would like to clarify that I would have my training paid for by my generous family. Therefore I would not be accruing financial debt....Does this change the nature of the beast?

well thank god you have your private parts

Dude, I don't know who told you this, but you do not need to get neutered to enter the aviation field.

However, there are probably some who could stand to grow a pair.

"Well Nigel, the Planck Epoch was by far the most fascinating of all the epochs wouldn't you agree?"

"Oh my goodness no Hans, I would proffer the Oligocene as the most scintillating of all!"

(can you tell I'm drunk?)

LOL!!

Most of the career pilots I've personally met and spoken with have said they would not recommend the career to anyone. The general mentality regarding this career, conveyed by similar people on internet forums, is by far more negative than positive and seems to reinforce the statements given by those I've personally met. Couple that with laughable wages, job instability, harsh economic times.........and of course don't forget very high initial training costs just for the privilege of subjecting yourself to all this.

As someone not yet in possession of a comm certificate, aviation as career remains a "back-burner" consideration for me. It sure is fun, but fun certainly is not worth going into debt for, and personally I think it's a bad idea not to at least expose yourself to other lines of work.

Back