Please answer!

My dad, uncle and grandfather were all airline pilots..

Not a single one of them every suggested I be a pilot...

Doctor, Lawyer, etc, etc, etc..

Never once - Airline Pilot..

Most of the career pilots I've personally met and spoken with have said they would not recommend the career to anyone. The general mentality regarding this career, conveyed by similar people on internet forums, is by far more negative than positive and seems to reinforce the statements given by those I've personally met. Couple that with laughable wages, job instability, harsh economic times.........and of course don't forget very high initial training costs just for the privilege of subjecting yourself to all this.

As someone not yet in possession of a comm certificate, aviation as career remains a "back-burner" consideration for me. It sure is fun, but fun certainly is not worth going into debt for, and personally I think it's a bad idea not to at least expose yourself to other lines of work.

Well, as one that actually is in the business I recommend to the OP that you do what you want to do. If you want to be a pilot-be one. I like it. Its a great fit for me. The money, while not great right now, will come. No one starts out making the big bucks. And you can find job stability. Its hard, but its out there.
Also, don't forget, there is more to flying than regional flying.

I would recommend this career only if you absolutely could not see yourself doing anything other than flying, don't plan on having a family, don't mind relocating several times, being away from home a lot, having zero job security, and you don't mind making poverty level wages for the first 5-10 years.

Is aviation the right career path? (would you go into it now)

It depends on you. For me, it's worked out pretty well so far. Your mileage may vary.

Will the aviation industry pick up within the next 5 years?

It's going to be a lot different in five years. Maybe be better, may be worse.

Will there be enough students to CFI for aviation self improvement and time building?

Maybe.

Will the regional airlines hiring pick up to pre Great Depression levels in the next 5 years or is that too short of a time frame?

With the demise of the 50-seater market, the regionals will look a lot different then than they did five years ago.

In your opinion have we entered a new era in aviation?

Depends on oil! :)

I would like some personal opinions on whether or not this is the right profession to enter into. I am about to lay down some serious bones and have a few thoughts that constantly nag at me..

Is aviation the right career path? (would you go into it now)

Will the aviation industry pick up within the next 5 years?

Will there be enough students to CFI for aviation self improvement and time building?

Will the regional airlines hiring pick up to pre Great Depression levels in the next 5 years or is that too short of a time frame?

In your opinion have we entered a new era in aviation?

Thank You,

:confused:Darren:confused:

If aviation is a personal passion, yes, if not i.e. money, then no.

I believe it will pick up but in the latter part of the next 5 years.

I do not believe fresh students for CFIs will pick up to previous levels unless you count the influx of foreign (European, Indian, Asian airline cadets). People in this country simply have an increasingly difficult time to afford it or see the worth of the investment.

I believe regional hiring will increase eventually but pay is solidified at low ball standards and will change little.

Yes I believe aviation is in the early stages of a new era. The public and their mindset, including executives and shareholders, continue to believe that pilot pay is high (where they get this idea who knows but perhaps the congressional investigations are helping) and in the last 5 years while things were better I still didn't see people turning down terrible pay scales in enough numbers to affect the mindset of management.

Thanks for everyone's insightful answers! I was going to ATP for their 10 month program and as of today I am now officially going to a Van Nuys FBO to do my instrument and then some (where I work). I am hedging on a five year low in hiring and feel the next hiring wave is to come when the age limit takes effect. I do not believe in this Great Depression ending anytime soon. On a side note my father moved to China a few years ago for business and called me to say that this depression is just now effecting the factories...He said get ready...

I would also like to point out that I am not infatuated with the "Big Shinny Jet"..Just want to make back something to allow my family the comfort in knowing that they didn't waste their money on me.

I am fully aware that I will be fixing a nice dinner of Top Ramen noodles for the next few years and living down by the river (if I can afford the shack down by the river)...GOD, why do I love aviation...All I know is I DO! It is my dream and I can not imagine anything else I would want to do.

Thanks for the support guys and gals!!

Darren

I say go for it if it's really what you want to do. Also don't forget that there is more to this industry than flying for the airlines.

<-------------

Back