Piper Mirage PPL

And that is exactly what I was referring to. Doing stuff in the airplane for the first time while youre trying to instruct someone isnt a good idea IMO... just saying.

So maybe it would be a good idea for him (the CFI) to take the airplane solo, (or just not in an instructional role) and do all the maneuvers first? Plus its probably not a bad idea even befor taking the airplane solo to ask "how is this airplane going to try to get me in trouble?".

As for the people that say "get in a 172", it will probably cost way more money to rent the airplane and learn that all over again, than is is to use any airplane that the student already owns and is proficient in.

Wow. I can't believe all the post of fear. Stalls are stalls. Keep the ball centered. Take the guy out, do whats necessary, get him his license and move on. One factory aircraft flies much like the next one. This should be a none issue.

Wow. I can't believe all the post of fear. Stalls are stalls. Keep the ball centered. Take the guy out, do whats necessary, get him his license and move on. One factory aircraft flies much like the next one. This should be a none issue.

Thanks for the positive input, I never knew I needed to keep the ball centered in a stall. Maybe I won't have to post in fear anymore....

And that is exactly what I was referring to. Doing stuff in the airplane for the first time while youre trying to instruct someone isnt a good idea IMO... just saying.

I agree, but then again I don't want to turn away the business either. He was refered to my by an owner I contract fly for, and there is the small possibilty it could lead to other things. (He owns an Embraer Phenom)

How much time do you need to do slow flight for a checkride? I was in slow flight for about 30 seconds just to show I could maintain a stable aircraft. And the power on stalls should be a non-issue. This is a guess, but I'm assuming that a luxury aircraft like that isn't as unstable or happy to go belly up as we might assume. I think that piper designed it to be easy to fly and be quite forgiving. That could be wrong but it's a pretty decent assumption seeing as many people have them and a few people have said already that the aircraft has benign flight characteristics.

As for roping the guy in and flying his plane around... wouldn't it be more useful for him to fly a plane he owns and is extremely more comfortable in rather than train in and re-learn (that's only if he initially started in a 172, if he hasn't then he actually has to learn) how to fly a 172? That would be more of a waste of time because he will have to spend X amount of time just getting familiar with the aircraft.

I see many of your points as valid points. But flying an airplane straight and level is completely different than slow flight. It may take this guy 2-3 hours of flying the thing in slow flight to be proficent at it. I am just trying to look out for the guys airplane, thats all. Overhaul of a turbocharged engine is very, very expensive. And you also run the risk of cracking the exhaust/turbo from the excessive heat and low airflow. That airplane is desgined to be flown at high speeds, not high power, low airspeed configs. Just be carefull, and manage the temps when doing things like power on stalls and slow flight. And remember, this guy probably dosen't fly as much as most of us in these forums do, so his profeciency may not be as good as someone who flys everyday.

As far as the aircraft is concerned, it is quite benine. I've done the power on and off stalls, lazy 8's, chandelles, Piece of cake.

Back