Piper Arrow

Dazzler

I want to get checked out in, and subsequently rent, a Piper Arrow. I have two choices.

1) An Arrow IV, with the newer style swept wing, renting for $114/hr (ouch) at an FBO near to where I live.

2) An Arrow II (1971), with the older "Hershey Bar" rectangular wing, renting for $91/hr at an FBO 20 miles further away.

Is it worth paying the extra $23/hr to fly the newer Arrow?

What are the different characteristics of the two kinds of aircraft/wing types?

Thanks!

Beyond the fact that the newer plane may have more ‘bells and whistles’ think about the value of your time. Could that 20 extra miles turn into an addition hour or more in travel? Where I live I’d opt for the closer of the two just to save myself the frustration of sitting in traffic for any longer than I had to.

You could always fly both and decide which is more valuable to you.

Something to consider is the fact that no one cares whether it's an old Arrow for $91 or a new Arrow for $114; they are both single engine complex.

Ditto on the suggestion to try them both and then decide.

As far as differences though, they are few. They land a little differently (not much), but the speeds are about the same. I've got about 75-80 hrs. in each (the -201, and the -200 series), and don't really prefer one over the other.

The newer style wing will glide a little bit better. A bit better roll rate.

Or I guess the correct term with an Arrow is to fall not as fast
smile.gif

In general, the PA28 models that have the old Hershey bar wing, and the newer tapered wing versions are fairly similar. Newer ones will be a very little bit faster, and have a better roll rate (not as noticibile if you have gap seals installed on the old models). Generally also will have better panel, and a different fuel capacity.

Which has a lower checkout requirement?
smile.gif
If one only has a 5hr then do that, then build up the time solo (cheaper there) til you have the TT complex required by the other place. If costs matters to you.

I like the Arrow, but will take a Warrior II any day if given the choice, and I don't need complex.

One thing I can say, it is hard to land a Arrow long. Just chop the power, no slip needed!

Outside of not putting the wheels down, the only time the plane will get you is if you let the speed get too low in a power off landing approach: you run out of 'flare mojo', at least in the older model (never flown a new one).

If the extra money is worth it to you, then cool. But for me aslong as it is in good mechanical shape, I would go for the cheaper one. After all, after flying for several hours you saved enough money for another hour.

[ QUOTE ]
ive been flyin an arrow II with the older wing , likes to drop like a rock when u chop the power.....

[/ QUOTE ]

The new-style wing doesn't glide all that much better...

[ QUOTE ]
Outside of not putting the wheels down, the only time the plane will get you is if you let the speed get too low in a power off landing approach: you run out of 'flare mojo', at least in the older model

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing'll happen in the t-tail Arrow IV I'm flying.

Sarah

[ QUOTE ]
ive been flyin an arrow II with the older wing , likes to drop like a rock when u chop the power.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I've flown both. I tend to prefer the later models when flying with a passenger, just for the smoother arrivals.

I have a considerable amount of time in the Arrow II because my family owns one. It will drop like a rock if the power is brought to idle, and it likes to land with a little power. The T-tail, along with other planes with that tail has a reputation of getting mushy stabilator control at lower speeds due to the stabilator being out of the prop wash.

[ QUOTE ]
The T-tail, along with other planes with that tail has a reputation of getting mushy stabilator control at lower speeds due to the stabilator being out of the prop wash.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep exactly. As long as you are on top of your airspeed, and don't let it get low on short final (and I mean not even 1kt too low), you'll be fine. I too like to leave some power in until the last possible minute.

Sarah

Exactly, I do not have any T-tail Arrow time, but I do have Duchess time and if you get slow in the Duchess The elevator will get mushy, and it will definatly be a firm landing.

No the Arrow II has a conventional tail. The only model arrow that has the T-tail is the Arrow IV. The new Arrows, The Arrow V, has gone back to a conventional tail.

He's right. The Arrow II has the "conventional" tail. That's the type of Arrow my FBO has. Fun plane to fly.

Go for the II. Less money is what it's all about my friend.

The II also usualy goes a little faster and will hold more in people and bagage. With full fuel 48 gal in the II we can hold 745lbs of people and baggage, an 829 with fuel to the tabs. I will flight plan conservatively at 10 gallons an hour and 130 kts, and regularly see about 9 to 9.5 and 135kts.

I fly an Arrow II now and would recommend that. I've gotten so used to the brick like features of the Arrow that I find myself floating down the runway when I fly the warriors. The Arrow is a great airplane and I hope you enjoy your time. As much as I would love to fly a newer aircraft with a nice avionics package, the older ones build the same flight time at lower cost. I figure I can fly the newer models when I actually have money to spend
grin.gif

Back