Pilots working as dispatchers - seeking opinions/real life experiences

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
Kev recently posted a quite well thought-out post on his opinion of pilots working as dispatchers. I will quote him below - Kev, if you'd like me not to quote you just let me know and I will delete this post but I thought it was quite thought-provoking.

I'm not speaking for my employer on this next point, this is just my personal professional opinion. I think it's a bad idea for companies to hire pilots as dispatchers. It's one thing if a pilot realizes that life out on the line isn't suitable to the quality of life expected or desired. One may still wish to work in aviation, that is a yearning that is hard for some people to shake. The price of pilot certification can be steep, and it can be an enticing way to jump into a job to regain financial stability (to a certain extent) and still attain a sense of fulfillment. It may also seem a logical way to make ends meet if furloughed from the flight deck.

However, I think that if one were to retain hopes of becoming a professional pilot, the inevitable result is that employment in a dispatch environment would be temporary. Resignation either due to dissatisfaction of the working duties or to seek employment as a pilot are the most likely outcomes, and the company benefits little, if at all, from the experiment.

I'd like to clarify that nowhere in my opinion shall I suggest that pilots are not equipped to succeed as dispatchers. The overlap of knowledge required to execute well in both positions is significant. Yet most dispatchers, by and large, do not have "the bug," that almost addictive quality which beckons you to fly, which calls you to soar above the earth. That fundamental emotion is hardwired into a pilot's soul and cannot be loosed regardless of circumstance or aptitude. The presence of that emotion is about as close to fact as a perception can be.

Someone who possesses this quality is not going to maintain the same sense of interest and challenge from working as a dispatcher as one who does not. Despite the fundamental knowledge both positions share, a career dispatcher who enjoys the work is wired differently from a pilot. It is beneficial when empathy for one another's role in sharing operational control exists between the pilot and dispatcher, but I believe that the approach of a good dispatcher is aided by an ability to see things differently.

In particular, the role the dispatcher plays in safety, meteorological proficiency, and regulatory compliance when balanced with a regard to efficiency on the part of the company, is augmented by a different mindset than is normally nurtured by air crews. In my experience, I believe it is easier for a dispatcher to think like a pilot than vice versa. This is through no fault of the pilot, it's just increasingly evident that many have little idea as to what we really do and, in some cases, little appreciation as well. While pilots can and have made good dispatchers, I think that more often than not a pilot tends to approach duties on the desk in ways that may be better executed by one who holds dispatch responsibilities as primary motivation for continued employment in the field of aviation.

It's hard to shake "the bug," whether you have your feet on the ground or wish to be in the air. Yet if a pilot wishes to remain in the air, then it is there a pilot will, and should, stay.

Now, for my thoughts on the subject - I have worked for and with several former pilots working in dispatch who were seeking a flying career. Many did treat the dispatch profession with a certain amount of disdain. I had one manager who was a grounded ex-corporate pilot who was one of my worst bosses ever, that seemed to feel that dispatch was "customer service for pilots" as its primary mission.

That being said, I have worked with a fair number of people who later went on to fly that were very good dispatchers and really knew their stuff. In my opinion, some pilots do not realize the workload we have, especially at regional airlines, but I do like to think that any pilot who first worked in dispatch and then returned to flying gained some valuable experience, at any rate. Also, one of my best managers ever was a former line pilot who had worked at a carrier where he also dispatched one week per month.

I don't think there is a "one size fits all" answer with regards to which experience makes the best dispatcher. I personally do not have any type of pilot license although I would like to work on one someday just to say I've done it and get some new experience in aviation. However, to pilots who seem to think that you HAVE to have at least a private license to be a good dispatcher, I would strongly disagree with that - and I can provide many examples of people I work with at my major carrier and at other carriers. I guess ultimately my opinion is that - whether a pilot makes a good dispatcher depends on the individual, and we shouldn't be too quick to judge anyone based solely on their ratings without getting to know them first.

No problem at all, Manniax. It works better as a dedicated thread, so thanks for posting.

My succinct point is this: hire a pilot, hire a temp. More often than not.

I can agree with the "customer service for pilots" statement. I worked as an Air Traffic Controller in the Army and thats how a lot of pilots viewed us. They didn't realize we were helping to keep their butts alive. Would have gone ATC in the civilian world but trying to get picked up by the FAA is like trying to win the lottery with Roman numerals. So on to dispatch for me.

I can agree with the "customer service for pilots" statement. I worked as an Air Traffic Controller in the Army and thats how a lot of pilots viewed us. They didn't realize we were helping to keep their butts alive. Would have gone ATC in the civilian world but trying to get picked up by the FAA is like trying to win the lottery with Roman numerals. So on to dispatch for me.

Jeez you think you guys get the "customer service for pilots" routine? ..Try being a mechanic

Since this was "directed" towards me in the other post because I worded a question kind of harshly (I'll admit I could have used another word other than crap and I've spoken out somewhat about my former employer, a employer who I had wanted to work for for years mind you, that wasn't at all what I had expected). Grab some popcorn as I'd like to share my story of why I got into dispatch as a pilot. Take it for what its worth :cool:

Do I love flying? Absolutely! Haven't known (airline brat) nor wanted anything else for a career ever since I could logically think about stuff like jobs and work. So I'll say since about Kindergarten. Yet when it looked like my "life's goal" was going to be taken away from me by the FAA I went through hell. In the process though I expanded my knowledge, and associated interest, in dispatching. I came to realize that flight planning was really neat.

Thanks to a lot of great people, the biggest being my parents, I was able to start flying again and continue towards the "dream." It was a really trying experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone. However my interest had been peaked enough that I figured I wanted to try both sides and figure which one was the best fit.

Having been an airline brat, I was fortunate enough to be able to visit a certain legacy's dispatch office in a very "windy" city. The same legacy I grew up with and within. Right away I was seated in the transcon sector with a really great dude (one that has been a tremendous help and a true friend since that first night). After the traditional introductions, the first thing he asked me is if I still wanted to be a pilot. I really didn't know how to answer that question because I'd never given it any thought. I love flying but I've also grown to enjoy dispatch. I seem to recall I answered "yes but" to his question and for the next few hours he gave me some great insight.

I guess where I'm going with the touchy feely story is that I knew going in that there was a lot of questions about the dedication of a pilot who wanted to still fly. Questions held by many in the dispatch profession.

Fast forward about a year and after having my ticket frozen, I was able to land an internship as a intern dispatcher (did most everything except for signing the releases) at a really unique "Sun and Fun" airline. It was small, the people were great; but with only five airplanes flying up to 18 hours a day, it was sometimes very stressful. On a few occasions I was thrust into finding other airlines to fill in on short notice. I thrived on IROPS! Loved it! It was some of the best few months I'd ever experienced! All while adding skills and experiences to the proverbial tool box. Unfortunately that airline wasn't longed for the world much longer and I wasn't going to have the chance to work for them once I turned 23 (they were 121 domestic/flag/supp).

Fast forward another few months, back flying regularly again. A "local" airline that I had been very interested in for many years had yet another "Flight Controller" position posted. No ticket required. Said airline is one of the most unique 121 supplemental carriers flying and were adding the B767 at a very rapid rate. Having much knowledge and experience with the plane, I wanted to give applying another shot since I had applied a few times before for the position over the past year or two with little success. I called the OCC manager one night on a whim and we ended up having about a 45 minute phone conversation. Turns out he is a super cool, laid back person who seemed very interested in me. OK great I thought! Then the bottom dropped out a few weeks later and they lost their major customer that they'd flown for for decades seemingly overnight. The open position was instantly closed and the airline wasn't "local" to me anymore. Yet the OCC manger said he'd keep me in mind going forward because they had stuff in the "works."

A few months later, out of the blue, I get an email from him asking me when I could make it down to WHQ for an interview. Around this time, I'd all but forgotten about the company and was actively flying 135 and looking for a 121 spot. Yet I hadn't given up on dispatch since my last position was so much fun. However I wasn't "actively" looking either. The friend of my from the legacy had secured, by word of mouth only, a guaranteed interview for an asst. dispatcher position once they opened it up to the street again (side note; there were 1437 pilots (give or take) on furlough from the legacy at this time and ALPA actually helped get some of those pilots into this position on a few occasions negating the need to open it up to the street). Anyway, I took the OCC manager up on the offer and figured the job was mine to lose since he had emailed me!

During the interview I was told that there was a slight possibility that I could cross over later on. A few others who had worked in the office before had also done this. He brought it up to me, not the other way around. I figured that if he was so laissez faire about the dispatcher to pilot career path as to bring it up during the interview, then it wasn't an issue with the company. Seemed like the company encouraged movement within departments if desired. Great! Getting all my experience and knowledge in the B767 made official with a type rating is a bucket list item for me anyway. Plus it would be great to fly it on the line someday. I took the job and gave up a 121 flying interview in the process because I figured I'd found my airline for my career. Was crossing over definite? Absolutely not! Yet I wanted to give dispatching a serious go because it sounded like I could fly for them when I was ready to if I wanted to.

The rest is history.

The company wasn't exactly what I expected nor was the job. During my internship we had software that was invested in and made generating paperwork only a part of the job. At my new airline, however, there were multiple systems that didn't interact with each other which made composing flight paperwork the vast majority of the job. On some nights there really wasn't time to do anything else. In addition, I had "watered down" operational control. What I mean by that is, it was delegated many times before it reached me. So basically all I did was generate paperwork and answer the occasional call. Paperwork composition could take over one hour easily on some flights. Pilots would rarely call either (unless it was to point out the un-avoidable errors that arose with flight plans and such because of all the human interaction that was required). What really topped it for me though was that everyone admitted the system we had in place was flawed but easily fixed, yet the company wouldn't invest it in. I myself submitted two proposals using my previous consulting experience to help address the problem to no avail. The mind-set of "we've done it like this for years" was very noticeable. I guess the OCC room had been a bone of contention for years before I was even there (they had the provision for contract dispatch in the GOM and our partner airlines under the same holdings company had contract dispatch in their operations) and it seemed like the company invested as little as they could into our department. Just enough to get by.

My view is that paperwork composition is only part of the job, not the vast majority of it. So the job didn't fit my views of the dispatch profession. In addition, some of the stuff in the "works" that had justified hiring another person fell through and cuts were going to be made. I was one of them (yes I did sort of volunteer, especially after I found out I wasn't going to be one of the dispatchers terminated).

So to wrap up my novel and address the real question, I'll share these few points:

* Did I go into my last position as a pilot or a dispatcher? The answer is dispatcher hands down based on my previous experiences and bit of operations consulting I had done on the side.

* Did I still love to fly? Yes! However, I really wanted to see what career path was going to be more rewarding going forward. If nothing else, I knew I'd end up being a pilot for my career but I wanted to answer the "what if" question while I was still young. Was a 121 supplemental carrier the best place to do that? Probably not since I basically was just there, in my personal view, to do paperwork and general office work (scanning, faxing, copying). Not that there is anything wrong with that type of work but it was a complete 180 from my previous dispatch job and wasn't for me.

* Am I done dispatching? I'd say no! The urge is still there but I think I know that having the possibility to cross over within a company won't happen again.

* The best thing a pilot working as a dispatcher can take out of the job, IMO, is seeing the "big picture." It was painfully obvious that some pilots didn't see that. I can think of two examples that will stick with me for my career on the line on how not to act when interacting with my dispatchers! I'd be happy to share these two stories if anyone is interested!

* Is it wrong for a pilot to knowingly take a dispatcher job with the sole goal of flying for the company? Absolutely! They will, more than likely, not be into it and do an overall terrible job. Even with my complaints about my company, I made it a point to give 120% each night working the desk. I was hired as a dispatcher, not a burden!

* So what if a pilot still wants to fly! If they come to work each day with the dispatcher hat on, there is no reason they can't turn out to be a good dispatcher going forward. So I'll disagree with the "hire a pilot, hire a temp" mentality in this respect. Lets be honest, who really sees themselves (dispatcher or not) doing noting but generating paperwork every four days for the next 40 years in some random office in some random city? Career progression is not a bad thing. If I were to stay in dispatch, I'd love to become some type of SOC/OCC manager someday.

* Finally, having seen the operation from both sides, I know that I'm better prepared to be able to utilize my resources going forward. Having had the "big picture" once before will help me recognize the dispatcher's true job description.

I apologize if I rambled on but since the question was raised, I figured I'd give my perspective as a current pilot/dispatcher or dispatcher/pilot. However you want to word it. In addition, I'll admit that I may need to tune down my bitc*hing about my former company just a little. Just know that I had an entirely different view going in than what actually occurred. As I said in the other topic: "I've been there, got the T-shirt." Finally, please forgive any grammar errors. I really try to produce quality, well thought-out posts but it's late ;)

Just one other thing.... notice the vast majority of my posting on this forum is in the Flight Control/Dispatch section. Just sayin....... :def:

g767, I'd like to clarify that my original post was not "directed" toward you. I don't know you, and it had nothing to do with you personally. I felt it a topical matter to discuss as the subject had been brought up by another user.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Lots of solid points being brought up. I would echo that it depends on the individual. I wish more guys on the line worked to possess an understanding of the big picture, develop a rapport that is professional yet succint, foster teamwork, and worked to really learn meteorology and regs. I wish more guys on the desk worked to understand what maximum duty limits/minimum rest/maximum duty limits really means, how important it is to monitor flight progress, get the details right, anticipate irregularities, and use all available resources at his (or her) disposal.

For whatever its worth, my wife has a master's degree in human resource management, and says overall people who are "jack of all trades, masters of none" are statistically viewed as more successful by their colleagues and superiors. That would suggest that someone who took the time to work both sides of the radio is going to get a great well-rounded perspective. Experience and a willingness to always learn are valuable assets.

Sky King in Lakeland, FL will be posting for entry-level dispatchers in the next week!

umm... we had two pilots on the desk for 5 months. We lost one to the Chief Pilot (flying the line), and the other quit when he found out he couldn't fly for us.

Sky King in Lakeland, FL will be posting for entry-level dispatchers in the next week!

umm... we had two pilots on the desk for 5 months. We lost one to the Chief Pilot (flying the line), and the other quit when he found out he couldn't fly for us.

This appears to be the biggest issue...pilots don't want to stay in dispatch permanently unless they have no choice (i.e. medically grounded.) So then you get back to that "hire a pilot as a dispatcher, hire a temp" thing Kev brought up. Still, I hope any pilots who did work as dispatchers gain a better understanding of the operation as a whole, as mentioned by ljg.

Back