Pilots and the holidays

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Quite a few of your more "junior" years as an airline pilot are going to be spent on "the road" during the holidays.

Kristie flew from PHX to TPA to visit her sister and father during the holidays and I was actually lucky enough to find a trip in 'open time' (meaning that it hadn't been assigned an FO yet) that I was able to 'swap' and be in Tampa for Thanksgiving. Let me say that if you haven't tried a fried turkey yet, it's absolutely fantastic. Plus, being around extended family when you'd normally be watching holiday Dr. Phil re-runs in the hotel is definetely a heartwarming experience.

My captain wasn't able to join us because he had way too much 'busywork' from his second job as an Air Force Liason officer, but he was able to bring his daughter on our long layover in Seattle for some father/daughter quality time. Me? I caught up on some much needed sleep after meandering around the rainy, cold Seattle streets and was able to watch the lighting of the "Westlake" on friday evening.

I guess one of the important things to remember with this career is that you've got to more or less make the best of the situation when you're on the road during the holidays.

Sure, being away sucks, but considering I helped bring about 1302 people a little closer to their loved ones, was able to spend the holiday with my wife and her (my extended) family and watch a proud father and his daughter enjoy some 'reconnect' time in Seattle, it was all strangely worth it.

1302? yup, I counted!
smile.gif

(Day one) DFW-ATL-IAH-ATL-CMH
(Day two) CMH-CVG-TPA
(Day three) TPA-DFW-SEA
(Day four) SEA-DFW

That's great you managed to spend the holidays with family Doug! I did as well, since we deadheaded in from Michigan VERY early on Thursday morning, and I had the rest of the day off. Much of it was spent sleeping, with quite a bit of eating and wine drinking in between. We almost didn't make it in that morning though due to fog and low clouds, as well as heavy holiday loads.

Luckily this year I have Christmas Eve off, and don't fly until the afternoon on Christmas. This means spending the night before Christmas with family like every year. I just need to find out what to do for my overnight on Christmas!

How are the other professional pilots spending the holidays? Anyone else working?

Right now I've got a long layover in LAX in Santa Monica, but I'm going to start working on trips that layover PHX so I can see Mrs. Taylor or maybe SMF so I can drive home to see my family.

[ QUOTE ]
How are the other professional pilots spending the holidays? Anyone else working?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm off from December 16 through January 5, 2004

I am suffering from a self induced injury, I scheduled recurrent training without realizing it was a holiday weekend. I had to leave Gramma's right after pumpkin pie to catch a flight to Wichita, KS. Other than a quick flight on Wed. ( home by 1pm) I had all last week off and would of had most of next week off except for my goof up.

I was off for Thanksgiving, but I work Christmas day and New Year's Eve & Day. I'll try to bring my wife with me if the loads allow.

I've worked Christmases in the past and the worst part is trying to find something to eat. Most resaurants are closed. Usually the company requires the hotel to put together some food for us, but it's not great. Sometimes you can talk the hotel into free pay-per-view out of sympathy.

I managed my Turkey Day off...took some creative tactics to get to work on Friday though. But I'll be working on Christmas Eve/Day.

For the third year in a row, I will be on call for Christmas. I have ended up flying the last two years in a row, hoping not to make this year a third. Air ambulance, YAY!

[ QUOTE ]
For the third year in a row, I will be on call for Christmas. I have ended up flying the last two years in a row, hoping not to make this year a third. Air ambulance, YAY!

[/ QUOTE ]

Alas, but it is what you make it. You get the pleasure of answering "But where were you during the holidays?" when some yahoo states that you're overpaid!
smile.gif

Glad to hear you had a good thanks giving and not watching 'Dr Phil Reruns'. Welcome back Doug. I think we handled your situation while being gone rather 'matturly' as you might say....Glad your back though!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
That's great you managed to spend the holidays with family Doug! I did as well, since we deadheaded in from Michigan VERY early on Thursday morning, and I had the rest of the day off. Much of it was spent sleeping, with quite a bit of eating and wine drinking in between. We almost didn't make it in that morning though due to fog and low clouds, as well as heavy holiday loads.

Luckily this year I have Christmas Eve off, and don't fly until the afternoon on Christmas. This means spending the night before Christmas with family like every year. I just need to find out what to do for my overnight on Christmas!

[/ QUOTE ]

Flychicaga you don't know how to spend your overnight on Christmas day...hookers man hookers...
blush.gif

Or better yet call me @ (513)-847-
tongue.gif

Everett

[ QUOTE ]
Right now I've got a long layover in LAX in Santa Monica, but I'm going to start working on trips that layover PHX so I can see Mrs. Taylor or maybe SMF so I can drive home to see my family.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long is this layover? Doug is going to be in my neck of the woods.
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

How long is this layover? Doug is going to be in my neck of the woods.
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

...maybe... but I'm not quite sure yet.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flychicaga you don't know how to spend your overnight on Christmas day...hookers man hookers...
blush.gif

Or better yet call me @ (513)-847-
tongue.gif

Everett

[/ QUOTE ]

okay....Ev

Matthew

aka Katsuhara

Well this will be my first holidays away from my family this year. Although I am on vacation having a great time - I am a family kind of guy, and am going to miss not being part of the xmas celebration. This year was the third year in a row I have not been at home for Thank Giving - with living in England, and all it has been too long.

I have meet quite a few British guys, and girls at the polo club who are in the same boat as me, so I could possibly spend it with them - a few chukkas with a stomach full of turkey!! Good Times!!

My DH was on short call on Thanksgiving, he spends his short calls with his parents who live close enough to CVG that he can make the two hour call out. The turkey had just come out of the oven when his phone rang. Someone broke a plane and so he had to go to TPA for Thanksgiving night. He ate his Thanksgiving dinner in the car on the way to the airport.

As for Christmas, he's on RSV. So he'll end up who knows where.

I was in Warsaw, Poland for Thanksgiving. Personal choice, since it's a way senior trip that I can't normally get. Will be off for Christmas and back in Cologne, Germany for New Years. Then, in early January, I give up the fancy life to get trained on the 757 so I can fly Spokane-Des Moines day trips and be home every night.

Back