Pilots and the holidays

Speaking of cargo, how junior do you think that Iraq trip went in the bid package at DHL?
smile.gif

Hey Doug, I'm right in here in the Santa Monica/LAX area. Shoot me an e-mail if you ever get tired of the hotel food or simply hang out.

[ QUOTE ]
Let me say that if you haven't tried a fried turkey yet, it's absolutely fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]
I second that!
cool.gif

The Deep Fried Turkey Gone Bad:
---------------------------------------------------------

28 November, 2003
Attempt to deep-fry turkey sparks garage fire
Michelle Tan
Staff Writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Fickett wanted to give his wife a break from the kitchen this Thanksgiving, so he offered to cook the turkey.
His nice gesture ended up setting their two-car garage on fire and causing about $14,000 in damage.

"I don't know how it happened," Fickett said. "My wife just had a baby, so I said I'd take care of the turkey."

He decided to try his hand at deep-fat frying a turkey.

"Everybody told me it's very good," Fickett said.

He borrowed a fryer and some directions from a friend. He even bought a thermometer to make sure the oil didn't get too hot.

Fickett and brother-in-law Patrick Cook were heating up about 3 gallons of oil for the turkey right before the fire started. They adjusted the temperature to the recommended 350 degrees, then stepped into the house to get the bird.

Smoke was pouring out of the garage when they came back to the garage with the turkey.

Fourteen St. Cloud firefighters went to Fickett's home, 230-22nd Ave. N, about 2:16 p.m. The garage was in flames when they arrived, acting assistant fire chief Gene Kostreba said.

The fire was contained to the garage, which was not attached to the house.

A pickup parked nearby and the neighbor's garage suffered heat damage, Kostreba said.

No one was injured, and the incident is under investigation, Kostreba said.

Fickett's garage, which contained his tools, his kids' bicycles and his lawn mower, was destroyed, but it was insured, he said.

Fickett and his family had a nice Thanksgiving dinner.

"We just had to have chicken instead of turkey," he said. "I'll probably stick to baking them now."
blush.gif

LOL. So many people try that every year with those results or worse. I know I won't try to fry a whole turkey unless I have a designated instructor present, I'm not ready to solo yet LOL.

Ah, the junior pilot's life:

I spent Thanksgiving in Boise (where the nice people at the Red Lion Suites provided a turkey dinner for us crew members!).

Christmas for me will be a 13-hour duty day ending in a short (9.5 hours) overnight in Kansas City. Looking forward to THAT!! umph!

[ QUOTE ]

I'm off from December 16 through January 5, 2004

[/ QUOTE ]

FalconCapt.

Do you work for John Deere? This sounds like their 2 week shutdown. Always thought that was a good idea around the holidays.
smile.gif

I am off for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I actually forgot to bid before the deadline in November and still wound up with a reserve line that gave me T-day off.

In December I remembered to bid and moved up to a build-up line (mish-mash of leftover trips and reserve days) that included Christmas off. I do work on New Year's Eve.

Fried turkey is the best, but rule #1 is to set up the fryer outside.

Anything is better than a Christmas on a ship...or worse yet, in a country where they don't even celebrate Christmas, with a bunch of depressed, drunk Marines (infantry battalion, all men...
crazy.gif
). Horrible, I tell ya!!

I second that thought. I spent X-mas of 93 of the coast of Somalia onboard the USS Ranger (CV-61). The one good thing was the food, we lucked out and had steak and lobster for dinner. I guess the other good thing was we would be in Perth, Australia for New Years Eve. It was one quick call to the "Dial-A-Sailor" board and I was off partaking in the local festivities with some friendly Aussies for New Years Eve.

Hey fly4free, do you know of any restrictions on sending packages to a ship? I have a very close friend who I'd like to send a Christmas package, and I just want to make sure the contents will get there OK. PM me for details about what's in the package, if it will create problems. Know anything about this?

I worked Thanksgiving, and I'll work Christmas Eve, New Years Eve, and New Years Day. The thing that sucks is that its for my non-flying-actually-pays-the-bills-job. I can't wait to get paid to actually fly on a holiday.
crazy.gif

I have to work all Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. The nice thing is that I am working graveyard shift(11-7). That means that I work the holiday, get holiday pay, and still get to go home and be with the family. I am often up by 2:00pm anyway so its just in time for dinner. New Years will suck, can go to the parties.

Well, there are worse places to be than Santa Monica if you've got to be stranded. There's a place right down by the pier that's got some karaoke going on. It's highly entertaining. I don't remember the name of the place, since my friends took me there, but I'll get you the name of the place if you want.

Yea.. if doug ends up in that area, i might just drive over or hop on AWA or SWA to get over there... i have no plans since he'll be gone and I do have family in the long beach & san bernadino area...we'll have to see!

She's got family in the L-B-C, and uh, it ain't snoop D-O-double-G...

Back