Pilot training part 141

jettison IT

I'm pretty sure this question has been posted but does anybody know......
Does a flight school have to be Part 141 to train international students or can we train them part 61 if we get them approved by TSA. I just got my internet going again because of the hurricane and haven't been able to do research. Any info will be appreciated.

Maurus

The Great Gazoo
You can train international students as a free lance instructor if you want. Now some foreign brokers will only work with Part 141 schools though.

Also in order to issue the I-20's for the visa you will need to be at least a 141 school I do believe. There are other international students that come over on different visas that don't require to sign up with a 141 school.

ILS37R

You can train international students as a free lance instructor if you want. Now some foreign brokers will only work with Part 141 schools though.

Also in order to issue the I-20's for the visa you will need to be at least a 141 school I do believe. There are other international students that come over on different visas that don't require to sign up with a 141 school.
That's correct on the I-20s; we're working on that presently for the FBO at which I work.

That said, we get a lot a of European business already and much of that is done Part 61--the only license you can transfer over is the PPL, but many of the pilots already have the hours and experience necessary for the other certificates and it's simply a matter of getting them prepped for a checkride.

But if you're looking to bring in, for example, zero-to-hero Chinese and Indian pilots, you're going to need 141 programs and I-20 authorization.