Pilot Career Losing Luster

You might be right, but it's probably prudent to be really, and I mean REALLY, careful when making that assumption...

[ QUOTE ]
Hope we didn't cause you to go missed on your ILS last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, the dual coupled up autopilots handled the ILS with flawless accuracy. I just watched. Besides, it gives me time to think about mundane things.
grin.gif
I just clicked them off at DA and flare a little at 50'.

We did miss during a CAT I ILS at KBDL (CAT II/III was OTS) a couple weeks ago as the vis was bouncing around 1400-1800RVR. Nothing like applying 120,000lbs of thrust on a half empty airplane to a 20 degree pitch up to get the adrenaline going. We got in the second time around;) My f/o that day, and for the bid period, was an ex-Blue Angel ('93-'96 team), great guy, who kept me laughing most of the flight with his stories and antics.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
airplane to a 20 degree pitch up to .............. bid period, was an ex-Blue Angel ('93-'96 team), great guy

[/ QUOTE ]

No wonder you were at 20 degrees on climb out - I am surprised he did not want to follow the aircraft infront closer so he did not have to worry about shooting the approach he could just follow.

[ QUOTE ]
I hate to use the 'cyclical' word again, but professional aviation definitely goes thru seasons. Now, it's definetely winter, but there's a spring thaw somewhere around the corner. It might be a few quarters or a few years, but as long as you hope for spring, but dress for winter, you're going to be alright.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the grass is always greener, huh? There are some definitely pluses to an aviation career, and the brochures always emphasize those. They don't bother to tell you that oh, by the way, after you blow $50K with us (even though we told you it'd be only $35K but that's assuming that you get done with the absolute minimum hours the FAA requires, which virtually nobody does), you'll be out there fighting for a CFI job which pretty much guarantees you'll be eating ramen noodles for a while.

And folks, no matter what you do for a living, people who do other things will always tell you how easy you have it. I used to deal with people who said, oh, you sell advertising? It must be so cool to go to all those trade shows and sit in a booth and to just call those people back after you get to the office. Of course, they never mentioned that as soon as the economy goes down the tubes, you get laid off even if you are good at what you're doing, they never mentioned that a lot of people just come for the free goodies you're giving out and don't want to hear from you after they get back home, and that you've got a boss breathing down your neck bugging you if you don't put a sale in the tracking system every few hours.

Advertising and aviation. Man, I am a masochist, huh?

[ QUOTE ]
No wonder you were at 20 degrees on climb out - I am surprised he did not want to follow the aircraft infront closer so he did not have to worry about shooting the approach he could just follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, the first time we flew together I told him that we don't do dirty rolls after takeoff and that getting close to other airplanes inflight is no longer a good thing!
grin.gif

Back