PHX WX

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
How's the WX up that way? TSTMS down here. Just got down from flying, and it was a pain.

We had the usual late night thunder, lightning, blowing dust but little-to-no rain.

Although that Huricane down south is supposed to nail us with some more rain ... they're saying end of the weekish I think. 'Course you guys will probably see more of it than us.

This desert is like a friggin' sponge. By the time anything gets over PHX all the energy has been sucked up by the surrounding landscape.

You folks could come and fly here. Boomers all summer long! Right now, we've got one and it's producing hail.

Oh we get thunderstorms. Thunderstomrs like you've never seen. It just doesn't rain and/or the rain evaporates before it gets to the ground.

Ah, but have you ever seen thundersnow?

Now that is pretty cool. It doesn't happen very often, only when we get those blizzards that shut down all of the east coast for like a week. But when it does happen, it's like, whoa, what was that?

Yup.

<--- a St. Louis born and bred (actually across the river in Illinios) boy and even got my private back home before moving out here to the wasteland.
wink.gif

I was up at 2100 on Monday shooting approaches into Willie and Chandler. Man what a show. It looked like another microburst hit the Queen Creek area (again). Neeless to say, we scurried back to the west valley sooner then expected. Funny though, no wind on the west side and ugly as hell on the east.

[ QUOTE ]
I was up at 2100 on Monday shooting approaches into Willie and Chandler. Man what a show. It looked like another microburst hit the Queen Creek area (again). Neeless to say, we scurried back to the west valley sooner then expected. Funny though, no wind on the west side and ugly as hell on the east.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was meeting a KC-135 tanker at AR-647 (south of CGZ). The tanker was in and out of clouds/rain to where you got the "rush" effect of the WX going past the two of you. With NVGs off, you couldn't see when the tanker was going to enter the WX and it takes you by surprise.
Very good potential for Spatial D

The flight ahead of me, I heard this from the fighter on the boom ahead of me...........

Gunhog11: Grizzley (the KC-135), any chance we can roll-out of this turn and AR straight tonight, it's getting a little disconcerting...

Grizzley 21: We're straight and level, sir.

Gunhog11: (somewhat suprised) Ummm, Roger.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh we get thunderstorms. Thunderstomrs like you've never seen. It just doesn't rain and/or the rain evaporates before it gets to the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]Last friday at IWA we had a microburst that flipped one MAPD (chained down) baron into another one!
shocked.gif
Both are total loses. The same microburst also flipped and destroyed an ATP seminole (er, I think it was a seminole).

It was quite a show as that was the day I moved out to IWA. Turned out to be the worst WX I have ever experienced in AZ!

Talk about a wake up call. Wow..... That has got to be a bit scarey doing a mid air refuel in that garbage. I wasn't too thrilled being as close as I was.

I heard about the damage, I didn't realize they were totalled. I bet their insurance loves them.....

Hey Missed .. I'm based out of FFZ ... let me know when and I'll make an "extended" touch and go there at Willie one day ...
cool.gif

BTW are they repaving 30R?

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Missed .. I'm based out of FFZ ... let me know when and I'll make an "extended" touch and go there at Willie one day ...
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ] That sounds very cool!
cool.gif
laugh.gif
shocked.gif

If you'd like I could show you the destroyed MPD planes. If we're really lucky and no ones in recurrent maybe they'll let us take a look see at the Mesa CRJ and ERJ sims.

...anyway, Wed, Fri, and maybe Sat are good for me.

Haven't heard anything about 30C. There's nothing about it in the construction section of http://www.flywga.org/.

I was just out in the SE practice area yesterday and noticed the "shoulders" of 30R were jet black. But now that I think about it they have concrete runways there so they probably wouldn't be "repaving" 'em with asphalt.
smirk.gif

Back