Perks to be being an ATC

Crisally07

So, I've been trolling these forums for a little while, and I don't believe I've seen this question answered.

Just wondering, what are the perks/benefits to being an ATC. I know you don't get buddy passes, but what do you get? Not that that's all I'm worrying about, but it would be a nice little silver lining.

Soo....what kinda perks do ATCs get? I mean, they are responsible for travelers' safety while flying on a daily basis. Doesn't that count for something?

pride of being a civil servant. you can swing military ride-alongs sometimes. that's about it. FAM program is long and gone.

I dont see why you need perks? There are very few private companies that can match the benefits the government gives you. You get and excellent leave package starting your first day. Some very good life insurance with absolutely no physical. Tons of options for great health insurance, of which you pay only 25% of the premium. Guaranteed retirement, matching on TSP, guaranteed raises, ability to transfer almost anywhere in the country, job security. In addition to all the benefits you get great pay even under the IWR.

I dont see why you need perks? There are very few private companies that can match the benefits the government gives you. You get and excellent leave package starting your first day if you get the chance to actually use it..I've actually had about 15 days over the last 1.5 years stolen because I wasn't allowed to take it by the end of the leave year due to staf###g. Some very good life insurance with absolutely no physical. Tons of options for great health insurance, of which you pay only 25% of the premium. Guaranteed retirement don't bet your pension on this one, matching on TSP, guaranteed raises haven't had a raise in three years, ability to transfer almost anywhere in the country at your own expense and ONLY if your current facility will let you go...goes something like this at our facility ABC facilty..I'd like to pick up Joe Controller for our vacancy...my facility...We'll let him go in two and a half years...ABC facility...click, job security. In addition to all the benefits you get great pay even under the IWR.

Thank you ATLTRACON. I knew his post sounded fishy, but I def didn't have facts to back that up. Ok...back to my original question....are there any perks? Not saying I need them, but just wondering if they're there.

I don't think this is a career that has perks. You go into this career for the desire to become an ATC. You do get medical, you do get life insurance but you have a yearly physical to maintain the job. As for now you have a great retirement but I have no clue what the future holds. As the saying goes, don't count your chicks until all the eggs have hatched and don't count any that aren't in your hen house. In other words, still plan on providing yourself a retirement. If you end up with more money in retirement, that won't hurt you.

Thank you ATLTRACON. I knew his post sounded fishy, but I def didn't have facts to back that up. Ok...back to my original question....are there any perks? Not saying I need them, but just wondering if they're there.

You get to wear a headset like at McD's but not cordless, and all the NATCA stickers you want...so no, no "perks".

Fam flights may return. FAA and Homeland Security are trying to make it happen.

The difference is, your employer is going to tell you where you are going, when you are going and it will be a one day gig. ATL..LAX..ATL Oh, you were delayed and you worked a 14 hour day...tough see you in the AM.

Come on Philip, you know better than that. I've known two people in my 23 years get fired over doing that. Used to be a worthwhile risk/reward...not even thinking about it anymore.

Really ? I never saw anyone get in trouble for that. We used to have those pink (or maybe yellow) cockpit access cards... I actually still have mine somewhere. I remember pre 9/11 when winter was getting to me I would jumpseat to Florida for the day... leave my suit in the rental car, sit on the beach. Then jumpseat back home in the evening. As long as you didn't give anyone a hard time or bump anyone that was trying for the jumpseat that had business to conduct you never got bothered.

We had a controller ride with us in the jumpseat this week from DEN to CID. When he came to the cockpit, the Capt said "Oh sh#t this guys an ASI--- did you do the weight and balance yet?" Turns out he was not an ASI but a controller/ administrator at DEN Tracon.

Capt let him ride up front... he did have a pink/yellow carbon copy slip of paper with him... but it was issued by UAL.

And then another perk of being a controller:

Clear the E175 (which can't slow down for anything with even the boards and gear out) for the visual into CID 45 nm out at FL210 when were still descending at 270 IAS. SLAM DUNK!

Now that is controller enjoyment--- I can almost hear the joy in his voice.

We had a controller ride with us in the jumpseat this week from DEN to CID. When he came to the cockpit, the Capt said "Oh sh#t this guys an ASI--- did you do the weight and balance yet?" Turns out he was not an ASI but a controller/ administrator at DEN Tracon.

Capt let him ride up front... he did have a pink/yellow carbon copy slip of paper with him... but it was issued by UAL.

And then another perk of being a controller:

Clear the E175 (which can't slow down for anything with even the boards and gear out) for the visual into CID 45 nm out at FL210 when were still descending at 270 IAS. SLAM DUNK!

Now that is controller enjoyment--- I can almost hear the joy in his voice.

By any chance were you on the DEN CID flight Monday Aug 4th when that poor guy had that baby that cried almost the entire flight? That was me!

Back