Perks to be being an ATC

So if you are employed by the FAA as a controller, are you forbidded from using a friends/family passes from people that you know working at the airlines?

By any chance were you on the DEN CID flight Monday Aug 4th when that poor guy had that baby that cried almost the entire flight? That was me!

It was actually Tuesday the 6th on the 1520 arrive 1820L flight. The flight was full of Raytheon guys, Quaker Oat people, and 3 live animals one of which was a small porcupine named Peter. You can't even make this stuff up, he had a name tag on the kennel.

Anyway..... did Kansas City Center send you down at 4700 fpm too? I think they refer to it as "shooting hoops with regionals" as our jumpseater told us with a smile

So if you are employed by the FAA as a controller, are you forbidded from using a friends/family passes from people that you know working at the airlines?

You are not allowed to use "buddy" passes etc. The FAA considers it a conflict of interest... you're not even supposed to own airline or aviation related stock. Every now and then something appears in the MBI binder about it.

You are not allowed to use "buddy" passes etc. The FAA considers it a conflict of interest... you're not even supposed to own airline or aviation related stock. Every now and then something appears in the MBI binder about it.

That funny, I know of 4 people who use them on a regular bases

We had a controller ride with us in the jumpseat this week from DEN to CID. When he came to the cockpit, the Capt said "Oh sh#t this guys an ASI--- did you do the weight and balance yet?" Turns out he was not an ASI but a controller/ administrator at DEN Tracon.

Capt let him ride up front... he did have a pink/yellow carbon copy slip of paper with him... but it was issued by UAL.

And then another perk of being a controller:

Clear the E175 (which can't slow down for anything with even the boards and gear out) for the visual into CID 45 nm out at FL210 when were still descending at 270 IAS. SLAM DUNK!

Now that is controller enjoyment--- I can almost hear the joy in his voice.

so if it's against the rules, now did this guy get into the cockpit?

wonder if they teach that at okc or if I have to wait for ZDV to learn that.

Yes, if fact right after radar basics there is a two week course on shooting hoops with regional jets and slam dunks. You score the most points when your STARS displays the aircraft having to do -5000 fpm or greater to comply with your clearance.

Another one the controllers have fun with is the visual 16 into HPN (White Plains for those of you from New Jersey). NY Center will keep you high and hot till about 50 nm from the northwest at FL170 and then say your clear for the visual when they know the tower is closed. That's always a joy- sometimes they snicker a "good day" at the end to prevent the laugh.

Yes, if fact right after radar basics there is a two week course on shooting hoops with regional jets and slam dunks. You score the most points when your STARS displays the aircraft having to do -5000 fpm or greater to comply with your clearance.

Another one the controllers have fun with is the visual 16 into HPN (White Plains for those of you from New Jersey). NY Center will keep you high and hot till about 50 nm from the northwest at FL170 and then say your clear for the visual when they know the tower is closed. That's always a joy- sometimes they snicker a "good day" at the end to prevent the laugh.

so, "later bitch" isn't approved phraseology then? :bandit:

That funny, I know of 4 people who use them on a regular bases

I know my share of people in the FAA that do many things you're not supposed to be doing ... it doesn't make it ok.

The fact is under the rules of conduct you're not supposed to and under the present regime running the FAA you are risking your job by violating those rules.

FL 170 huh?

You were thinking Europe, right? Simple mistake:buck:

In Bosnia our FL started at 8000.

HD

ASA guys must think they're in Europe then, I regularly hear them saying FL160 or FL140 when being handed off from ATL center to approach down here. Its pretty entertaining. :)

ASA guys must think they're in Europe then, I regularly hear them saying FL160 or FL140 when being handed off from ATL center to approach down here. Its pretty entertaining. :)

Well that's Acey for you. The reason why they can't communicate clearly is probably because they are always running 30 to 50 minutes late and in a scramble to make up time. And they blame it on Atlanta being busy.....
Or maybe because their hiring requirements are 500/100.

I use this great word "UNABLE". I went around Saturday, and during the handoff back to approach the tower asked why. I clicked the mic and said it was a slam dunk and poor vectors, I'm not going to fly my airplane unsafely. I use "UNABLE" any time controllers give me a clearance that might have me use my speed brakes.
Speed brakes are for my mistakes not yours!

it'll be great for you having that knowledge and going into ATC. Keep em low, keep em slow on approach.

Back