PDT Employee Killed in MGM

I'm almost to the point of showing actual ingestion videos with the grizzly outcomes during training.

The mechanic who was pulled into a 737? those pictures showed chunks of meat and a mostly intact but missing flesh skull on the C1

Or pics of the guy who got run over by the main gear of a heavy.

Or the compound fractures, severed limbs, or crushed parts.
I'm all for this. Visual depictions can have huge impact.

Yeah, who knows.....maybe she was working sick because she had to, and was on meds that affected her awareness. We may never know what it was. But the way she died is about the most horrible thing I can imagine.

And that's when you need a lead or supervisor or ever an alert co worker to pull you out of the hazard zone if you're acting wonky.

Due to depression, head cold, or even just a chronic dumbass.

Pull them off the line before they become ground ground crew and figure out the problem later.

It could be something as simple as her having been mentally distracted or head just not in the game at that particular time due to life events; as opposed to her being written off as untrained, incompetent, or incapable.

Just as Boeing crapped on the pilots of Lion and Ethiopian airlines to deflect fault....

Even with personal fault, what safety nets were there to catch a screw up

Maybe they realized life is worth more than minimum wage
Most airports pay above the local minimum wage by mandate, at least all the ones I've worked at. Flight benefits are worth risking life and limb for though, for sure (I've taken over 400 non-rev pleasure flights and been left behind less than 20 times, don't believe the haters). I was making $10.80/hr in 2008 starting at SkyWest when the local minimum wage was $8/hr. And by 2010 that bumped up to $13/hr starting and more for those of us who had been there. Plus we all got free health care as an SF County ordinance, so no pay deductions for that. I don't know why people always act like the airlines pay the same as a being a Foodmax janitor.

When I was trying to fix the 400%+ turnover rate for DL in SMF last year, we were offering to start people at $20/hr when AA was doing $17 and WN was doing $16 while the average retail and fast food job was doing like $15-16. Even offered positive space flight bennies for you and a friend twice per year in the best cabin available. One day in ankle-high rain or one time being held hostage 6 hours until 4AM for a late flight and they're and all gone anyway. It's not just money in that industry. It's just people not wanting to do the work period when you throw in how long it takes to get to an airport, an employee lot, park, get to clock in, etc. mixed in with flooding rain, ice in Dec\Jan, and 100+ humid heat all summer. Plus SMF makes them go thru TSA over and over all day. I'd be shocked if places in the US with even worse weather pay minimum wage lol.

Last edited:
Most airports pay above the local minimum wage by mandate, at least all the ones I've worked at. Flight benefits are worth risking life and limb for though, for sure (I've taken over 400 non-rev pleasure flights and been left behind less than 20 times, don't believe the haters). I was making $10.80/hr in 2008 starting at SkyWest when the local minimum wage was $8/hr. And by 2010 that bumped up to $13/hr starting and more for those of us who had been there. Plus we all got free health care as an SF County ordinance, so no pay deductions for that. I don't know why people always act like the airlines pay the same as a being a Foodmax janitor.

When I was trying to fix the 400%+ turnover rate for DL in SMF last year, we were offering to start people at $20/hr when AA was doing $17 and WN was doing $16 while the average retail and fast food job was doing like $15-16. Even offered positive space flight bennies for you and a friend twice per year in the best cabin available. One day in ankle-high rain or one time being held hostage 6 hours until 4AM for a late flight and they're and all gone anyway. It's not just money in that industry. It's just people not wanting to do the work period when you throw in how long it takes to get to an airport, an employee lot, park, get to clock in, etc. mixed in with flooding rain, ice in Dec\Jan, and 100+ humid heat all summer. Plus SMF makes them go thru TSA over and over all day. I'd be shocked if places in the US with even worse weather pay minimum wage lol.

It's not worth it.

#truth......

I'll use my Navy example. Every recruit in bootcamp, at the least over the last 30 years and longer I'm sure have seen the video of the USS Forrestal. If that doesn't stress the importance of firefighting and paying attention when its being discussed I don't know what will.

#truth......

I'll use my Navy example. Every recruit in bootcamp, at the least over the last 30 years and longer I'm sure have seen the video of the USS Forrestal. If that doesn't stress the importance of firefighting and paying attention when its being discussed I don't know what will.

In ATC tech school the midair over Pope AFB that resulted in the deaths of 24 paratroopers on the ground is played quite often

#truth......

And even those who didn't have bootcamp, eventually get it on day one, minute one, of the Shipboard Firefighting School that is a requirement prior to deployments.

And even those who didn't have bootcamp, eventually get it on day one, minute one, of the Shipboard Firefighting School that is a requirement prior to deployments.

Yup I should have just went with 'anyone' in the Navy....My son is going through all of that pre-deployment stuff now. I think he's somewhere off the east coast catching airplanes. Not sure exactly where... OpsSec and all... :bounce:

Last edited:

I knew a ramper that witnessed one of those accidents last year (year before? I can't remember) when they got run over by a main.

I don't think people realize how "not instant" it is, the sounds, the screams, the helplessness and the knowledge that you just witnessed someone die a grizzly death.

I knew a ramper that witnessed one of those accidents last year (year before? I can't remember) when they got run over by a main.

I don't think people realize how "not instant" it is, the sounds, the screams, the helplessness and the knowledge that you just witnessed someone die a grizzly death.

If it happens in a specific way, the blood get squished upwards like toothpaste and the skull fractures or explodes.... sounds like a shotgun.

Last edited:
Yup I should have just went with 'anyone' in the Navy....My son is going through all of that pre-deployment stuff now. I think he's somewhere off the east coast catching airplanes. Not sure exactly where... OpsSec and all... :bounce:

Nice! Among other things that naval aviation strangely/unexpectedly prepared me for in the airlines, is not getting run over by a truck at night out on the ramp during the walk around. Though the flight deck is even more crazy, what without any lights and all. Tell him to stay safe and keep a good lookout!

Reactions: JEP

I've been lucky not to witness anything like that. I've seen people get hurt badly, the worst being a guy run over by a pushback and unable to walk without support for 2 years after having is leg crushed. I have seen 2 passenger deaths (heart attack and diabetic shock) in the terminal and a ramper who fell down the slick metal stairs of a jetway raised up to a 77W who later died in the hospital but those weren't bloody and at least less nightmarish to witness. Still obviously bothered me. Work at a hub long enough, you'll see death sometime, but I wouldn't go as far as to say the job is so dangerous if even if appropriately done, one can still expect inevitable serious injury. Being cautious would have prevented everything I've seen.

In SMF we had a 757 crew on an NBA charter pop the brake for some unknown reason while the ground crew was disconnecting the tow bar and ran a guys foot right over with the nose wheel, they moved a full 4 feet before they noticed, and stopped just before destroying the damn pushback itself. Not bloody but he was on crutches for months after. No idea what happened to the crew after that, had to give a statement to several people with titles back in ATL so no idea what happened. I've actually seen pilots roll into crap during engine start at every airline I've worked for, but only once did they hit a person. They claimed they had muted the intercom to the rampers headset because it was "distracting them from their procedures" which I thought was a very interesting thing to say while you pop the brake which is not the procedure with a tow bar and tug on your nose gear haha.

Last edited:
Back