PDCs and Electronic Gate Request now online at ASA

Trip7

Skywest Inc continues to impress me. With PDCs, Electronic gate request, Electronic W&B, and Cost index flying we have to be the most technologically advanced regionals out there.

Its amazing especially coming from a turboprop were everything was done old school to now flying a very automated plane where alot of my duties are now automated:D

BTW, did everyone enjoy the CAT II approaches to minimums in ATL last nite?:)

Skywest Inc continues to impress me. With PDCs, Electronic gate request, Electronic W&B, and Cost index flying we have to be the most technologically advanced regionals out there.

Its amazing especially coming from a turboprop were everything was done old school to now flying a very automated plane where alot of my duties are now automated:D

Your aircraft are CAT-II approved?? Nice. I could only wish!

I actually enjoyed my Cat III approach yesterday morning into ATL while all the Cat II guys were holding. Gotta love an airplane that can go down to 300 RVR.

CRJ-200s.... are still "interim approved" to 1600 RVR. CRJ-900s.... not even close to interim.

You guys must have had quite an interesting night then.

I actually enjoyed my Cat III approach yesterday morning into ATL while all the Cat II guys were holding. Gotta love an airplane that can go down to 300 RVR.

What was the RVR in the morning? I only did an afternoon roundtrip. It was 1200 RVR when I came in.

Umm...Welcome to 2003 :)

I actually couldn't believe you guys didn't have all those things until now. And I actually did a Cat2 to atl yesterday too. Little foggy but piece of cake, not much wind, no blowing SN or heavy rain to mess things up. Those are the CAT2s that are "cool," the "uncool" ones are St Johns and Halifax with wind, snow, and a far alternate (moncton, gander) with equally crappy metars.

I actually couldn't believe you guys didn't have all those things until now.

I was going to say the same thing.

I was quite surprised that with ASA's modern jet fleet, PDC, e-W&B, and ACARS gate info wasn't there already.

Enjoy the reduced workload. :cool:

Now you need to get printers installed. Who writes the ATIS? :p

That must put some hair on your balls, eh?

No...I think it added more to my back actually. The hair you speak of gets rubbed off as I shift in my seat yelling for the SELCAL to work....;-)

Do you guys do Cat2 in the Q? I know the plane can do 'em but with all the options, heads up and stuff?

No Cat 2 on the WeedWhacker yet. They say they are going to do it. Horizon has them certified for Cat 3 I believe.

I was going to say the same thing.

I was quite surprised that with ASA's modern jet fleet, PDC, e-W&B, and ACARS gate info wasn't there already.

Enjoy the reduced workload. :cool:

Now you need to get printers installed. Who writes the ATIS? :p

We have printers too!

I actually couldn't believe you guys didn't have all those things until now. And I actually did a Cat2 to atl yesterday too. Little foggy but piece of cake, not much wind, no blowing SN or heavy rain to mess things up. Those are the CAT2s that are "cool," the "uncool" ones are St Johns and Halifax with wind, snow, and a far alternate (moncton, gander) with equally crappy metars.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. We've had PDC and electronic gate request since I got here. The -900s have had the electronic W&B since day one, and we'll probably get them on the -200s as soon as NWA's crappy W&B system goes away (which means no more sitting in the pad waiting for numbers the gate agent forgot to send load control).

As for CAT II..... -200s are CAT II, and I heard the -900 wasn't a CAT II aircraft, hence the reason they aren't approved.

That's great for y'all over at ASA! I wish my "little" Navajo had all that...but hey, I'm just happy not to get run over at ATL!

However, the most technically advanced regional has to be Horizon Air.

At Horizon, all aircraft can do CAT III(A) approaches with 50' DA and 600/400 RVR. Using the HUD we could also do 300/300/300 RVR takeoff's. The Q400 is, or perhaps was, the only aircraft in the fleet that could do CAT III(A) single engine approaches (I can't recall if the CRJ700's could or not).

The Q400's are starting to get EFB's and are soon to have upgraded FMS's (thanks to the FAA) that are WAAS capable. Horizon will be the first Part 121 Carrier to have full WAAS certification. We did have RNP certification before that.

(Don't forget the free NW microbrew beers and free NW wines)
:nana2:

I was kinda thinking the same thing. We've had PDC and electronic gate request since I got here. The -900s have had the electronic W&B since day one, and we'll probably get them on the -200s as soon as NWA's crappy W&B system goes away (which means no more sitting in the pad waiting for numbers the gate agent forgot to send load control).

As for CAT II..... -200s are CAT II, and I heard the -900 wasn't a CAT II aircraft, hence the reason they aren't approved.

You know originally I wasn't sure what to make of the PNCL W&B thing. It seemed nice that it was one less thing you had to do in the plane, but upon further review I think it's easier just to do it yourself and get outta 'Dodge. The electronic one we use is easy, just fill in the fields, it knows all the weights. Then it has a summary page with all the zones with the weights added up, we spin "the wheel" to get a trim setting. It would be nice if it gave you the trim but oh well. I wonder why the -900 can't do CatII?

As far as coming from a turboprop to a jet, where automation will easily bite you in the ass as quickly as you say "Looks good," certainly you won't get to a point where you will duty in, walk to the gate, pre-flight, do what paperwork is required of you, fly the leg, goto the overnight (your time off right?), do day two, three and four just as you did day one. . . . . for free.

Automation aside, flying for a living comes with a great deal of responsibility. I certainly hope you're not making an effort to erode the responsibility flight crew members are tasked with on a daily basis.

I can see your reply already.

As far as coming from a turboprop to a jet, where automation will easily bite you in the ass as quickly as you say "Looks good," certainly you won't get to a point where you will duty in, walk to the gate, pre-flight, do what paperwork is required of you, fly the leg, goto the overnight (your time off right?), do day two, three and four just as you did day one. . . . . for free.

Automation aside, flying for a living comes with a great deal of responsibility. I certainly hope you're not making an effort to erode the responsibility flight crew members are tasked with on a daily basis.

I can see your reply already.
debbiedowner.jpg

Back