Paying Dues

IrishSheepdog

Sitting in the median
To avoid having this post get buried in the "Sanford" thread where it doesn't belong, I figured I'd post here in a new thread. It seems like all over the industry people are arguing about who is "paying their dues" to move into new positions. I really never got what "paying your dues" was, because there is no clear cut answer. Is it working freight? CFIing? Getting paid crappy wages? When do you stop "paying dues?" I guess the career regional pilots won't ever stop paying dues?

If I could offer one piece of advice, it would be to STOP worrying about "paying dues." There is no such thing. Just worry about setting goals for yourself, and staying on track for those goals. AND HAVE FUN DOING IT!

While you are working towards what YOU want (not what other people think you should do), take the time to ENJOY it. I think the only way I stayed sane during college flying and instructing was spending as much free time as possible going out with friends and doing stuff. Whether it meant dance clubs, pubs, biking, hanging out watching movies, hobbies, whatever, if you don't have some outlets to make a life for yourself outside the cockpit, things will get really boring!

On my last trip, I think my captain and I talked about flying for maybe 30 minutes the entire trip. The rest of the time we talked about RC planes, waterskiing, women, golf, mountain biking, WOMEN, a book he was reading, women, telling good stories, and telling hilarious jokes. It was a GREAT trip, because we weren't so wrapped up tight about who paid what dues and how many hours or airplanes each of us had flown. It gets to a point where you get in the cockpit, do your job, and talk about the stuff you enjoy outside flying.

Just do the work, and work HARD. But at the same time, play hard. Don't worry about what people think of the path you are taking towards your goals. They are YOUR goals, not anyone elses. As long as you are working hard, flying often, and having a great time in the process, you are coming out on top!!!
grin.gif

Male Airline Pilot. def. Man who talks about flying when he is around women and women when he is flying.

And flyChicaga, no - you don't ever stop paying dues. We just get upset at those who want to short cut it.

Paying your dues means being patient and waiting for the breaks to come your way (and they will.) Success is not getting breaks, but being ready when they come, and recognizing the phony ones!

[ QUOTE ]
Paying your dues means being patient and waiting for the breaks to come your way (and they will.) Success is not getting breaks, but being ready when they come, and recognizing the phony ones!

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, that is twice in one week we agreed on something

[ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, that is twice in one week we agreed on something

[/ QUOTE ]

"Uhhhh.....We got a situation here...we need backup..."
laugh.gif

Eagle I really do think we have more in common than either of of would like to admit, in "thinking processes" that is. We chose different directions, that's all.

[ QUOTE ]
Eagle I really do think we have more in common than either of of would like to admit, in "thinking processes" that is. We chose different directions, that's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Come to the dark side my son"

geez..I guess using the term paying your dues started a firestorm....basically what I meant by that was not taking any shortcuts, not stepping on other toes, and trying to be the best pilot you can be by learning as much as you can and molding ones self as a true professional....

[ QUOTE ]
geez..I guess using the term paying your dues started a firestorm....basically what I meant by that was not taking any shortcuts, not stepping on other toes, and trying to be the best pilot yoy can be by learning as much as you can and molding ones self as a true professional....

[/ QUOTE ]

That about sums up the whole deal. Agree.

Nahhh, I opted to go for a more famous track star. I run the 100 meters nationally, but not in europe like that guy. Plus, he has me by about 15 pounds and I'm about two shades darker.
grin.gif

Back