Paying Dues

grin.gif

Gotcha.

Still the man, though. Didn't mean to imply you weren't if that wasn't you.
laugh.gif

I used to have some wheels back in the day... but, them days are LOOOOONG gone.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I used to have some wheels back in the day...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, bigwheels?
grin.gif

FlyChicaga-

A statement you made on another now infamous and rather overweight thread indicated that you were going to be able to save your pilot's salary rather than throw it away on loan payments. I know I've read this before but have since forgotten: where did you train and how did you finance it? I have pretty much convinced myself that the only way for me is to take out one of those billion dollar loans.

By the way, congratulations on your success- always makes me smile to see one of the good guys win one.

Someone once mentioned to me that you could get a sponsor, does anyone know the story behond that? If it's true perhaps that's an alternative to loans?

I have about $15,000 in school loans from getting my four year degree. I was in a flight program with the University of Illinois. So I am paying those off on a 10-year plan, but it really isn't as bad as it could be. From insurance, car payments, uniform deductions, 5% 401(k) contribution, and loan repayments, there isn't much left over on a ~$18,000/yr wage. If the loan payments were multiplied for four, I'd be digging a big hole into major debt.

I pulled out a $5,000 loan to finish my private, through Sallie Mae. I pay $42/month. I'm glad that I don't have to get another loan again. I can't believe that I was actually thinking of taking out a 80,000 Key Loan. I would have been paying almost $500/month for 20 years to pay it off.

Thanks for the reply, FlyChicaga. From what you're saying, it sounds like your training didn't cost any more than any other four year degree, or not much more. Am I understanding you correctly? Probably not, come to think of it- I know that ISU, a similar sort of school, charges you something like $65,000 for their full flight program. Rats- how does one do this without racking up huge debt? A full flight education with only $15,000 to pay off means you were definitely doing something right.

[ QUOTE ]
Whether it meant dance clubs, pubs, biking, hanging out watching movies, hobbies, whatever, if you don't have some outlets to make a life for yourself outside the cockpit, things will get really boring!

[/ QUOTE ]

Liar. There are no dance clubs in Champaign.

Plenty of pubs, but no dance clubs.

grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whether it meant dance clubs, pubs, biking, hanging out watching movies, hobbies, whatever, if you don't have some outlets to make a life for yourself outside the cockpit, things will get really boring!

[/ QUOTE ]

Liar. There are no dance clubs in Champaign.

Plenty of pubs, but no dance clubs.

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on now, if you never went to the clubs how did you ever see all the backless shirts and mini-skirts? Watching them walk by from the windows at Murphy's just doesn't do it justice... you gotta get right up there and dance with them on the poles at Joe's....
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Oh come on now, if you never went to the clubs how did you ever see all the backless shirts and mini-skirts? Watching them walk by from the windows at Murphy's just doesn't do it justice... you gotta get right up there and dance with them on the poles at Joe's....
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I gotta get back there one of these days. I will never forget the lines of girls in miniskirts trying to get into Kam's when it was like ten below out. Here they are, shivering in their miniskirts and sweaters, trying to get into a place where they are guaranteed to get sweaty.

But you gotta admire their determination...among other things.

smile.gif

Back