Passenger Briefing Card

DrBenny

Do any of you have a good passenger briefing card for a light single? I'd like to put something together that I could use both to impress the DPE, but also that would be helpful to passengers.

(Someone unhelpfully suggested I just say: Get in; put that belt on, shut up, and don't touch anything. I'll bet he's a real pleasure to fly with.)

No offense, but the DPE might just start laughing if you pulled out an airline-style briefing card for your seminole, 172, or whatever else you're flying. Then again he might like it, but who knows. I'd just stick with what's required in the FAR's....how to buckle and unbuckle the seatbelt, how to open the doors, smoking, electronics, and if they have a headset when it's okay to talk and when it's not (I'd skip that last part with the DE though).

Three checkrides so far and I've never been asked about the "passenger briefing". I feel like it might be insulting to the DE if I tried to give him a passenger briefing unless he specifically asked for it.

Make some sandwiches and bottle of water - call it inflight refreshments, and a game boy - call it your IFE, then you will be set.

Nice. Very helpful.

OK, let's say that the DPE likes to see these things. Now, does anyone have anything? Show and tell, anyone?

Here's a idea... pop a cooler open that is full of beer and other "refreshments" and try to get $4 from the DPE. Call it first class since he gets a drink before takeoff.

I did the passenger briefing before my flight commenced with the DPE. Afterwards, he said I liked your briefing, when you give one, here is how you can do it better. So I guess there is one DPE out there who cares about the passenger briefing.

Dr. Benny,

I'm not sure if it was you or not but I saw a similiar post over on flightinfo.com about passenger briefings. lol Don't worry so much about it. I took my private checkride at the beginning of this month an I could only get about this much out. " And now for passenger briefing..." he basically laughed an said I'm buckled, set, an have been briefed millions of times. Lets get this baby fired up! lol that was that. So all in all don't worry so much about this briefing..

Chad

New Cessna's come with briefing cards. I borrowed one out of one of the new planes at a certain college on the east coast of Florida when I was there...and oops...it seems I forgot to give it back. Not that it matters, its buried away in a box somewhere...
wink.gif

...but anyways, you may try finding someone with access to a new Cessna. Ask the owner, or look in the POH thats in the aircraft (thats where I found it).
smile.gif

I had a roommate at Riddle who handed out peanuts while we were flying... He was an average pilot, but a good flight attendant, so it was good he had something to fall back on!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Three checkrides so far and I've never been asked about the "passenger briefing". I feel like it might be insulting to the DE if I tried to give him a passenger briefing unless he specifically asked for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I'm PIC, I give a pax briefing to whoever's aboard, whether they're a pilot or not. (Call it a crew briefing if you like; you should do one or the other, particularly for things like your aborted takeoff plan and the like--it's just good CRM.)

If I'm flying with someone (another CFI or on a checkride for example) I'll ask if they would like a PAX briefing. If I'm flying with a student, I require them to give me one. Here's a good way to remember what to brief. S.A.F.E.T.P.

S = seatbelts. make sure your PAX know how to use them.
A = airvents/airsickness. show them how to open the vents and what to do if they are feeling sick.
F = fire extinguisher. how to access and operate. if the aircraft is badly on fire DO NOT try to put it out. it's not going to work. RUN from a burning aircraft after you are 100% positive everyone is out. you can use the extinguisher to put out someone if they are on fire or a VERY small aircraft fire.
E = emergency exits. can they get out in an emergency?
T = traffic avoidance. use your PAX to look for traffic.
P = positive exchange of flight controls.

I also always give a takeoff briefing. I give runway distance, required takeoff distance, aborted takeoff procedures, who will be flying the aircraft, and winds.

Thanks for the message. Nope--that wasn't me. I didn't even know there was a forum at flightinfo.

[ QUOTE ]
Dr. Benny,

I'm not sure if it was you or not but I saw a similiar post over on flightinfo.com about passenger briefings. lol Don't worry so much about it. I took my private checkride at the beginning of this month an I could only get about this much out. " And now for passenger briefing..." he basically laughed an said I'm buckled, set, an have been briefed millions of times. Lets get this baby fired up! lol that was that. So all in all don't worry so much about this briefing..

Chad

[/ QUOTE ]

my brief in the single is like this.

See the door? it is the only one, if we do an off airport landing, you will need to get out first, if you don't I am climbing over you.

I try hard to instill a sense of calm in all of my pax

"Here's the door, here's how you work it if I don't reach it first. If you don't open it after an "off airport landing", I'll pop it open myself and trample your ass on the way out!
smile.gif
"

I asked my DPE if he wanted a pax brief and he said no, he had been on one of these planes before. So I moved on, this seemed to be okay...

[ QUOTE ]
Dr. Benny, are you taking the checkride with Mike D or Annable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Zombie, sorry I'm responding so late. I'll probably be taking the regular ride with Ed C. (who doesn't fly out of BWI, I don't think). I also have to take that medical checkride (SODA ride) with an FAA inspector. I called the FSDO, and I'll be doing it with a gentleman named John C. Do you know either of them? They both sound like through but friendly guys.

Hope to report back to you as a PPL in a couple of weeks. --I'm flying every day this week, except today, as long as the weather holds out!

Back