Part-Time Job - I think I'm gonna go for it

JaceTheAce

In order to help pay off bills faster I'm going to pick up a part-time job. My current part-time appraisal job wasn't like it used to be with the housing market slumped. I'll probably apply to work at one of the several local coffee shops in my neighborhood. I've worked in a coffee shop before and I enjoyed it... so it's not so much a "job".

I've been holding pretty good lines now and I have enough time off to hold a part time job. The crap economy is real and it is affecting me. Piedmont has reduced all lines by about 8-10 hours and December will be the same. This will really make it more difficult to pay the bills.

Any other regional pilot here have a part-time job while flying about 80-90 hours a month?

I took a part time job at my old school, Im a ground instructor whenever I am available. In just 5 days of teaching a class, I make the same as half of my guarantee at Colgan. Pretty sadddd. The only problem is now Colgan gave me a better schedule (weekends off) however it does not allow me to teach in the week.

. Piedmont has reduced all lines by about 8-10 hours and December will be the same. This will really make it more difficult to pay the bills.

Was this is in effort to keep people from being furloughed? Just food for thought: they could probably build 80 hour lines and get rid of junior folks, which would certainly suck. I feel your pain though, just sayin'.

Was this is in effort to keep people from being furloughed? Just food for thought: they could probably build 80 hour lines and get rid of junior folks, which would certainly suck.

Yeah, which is why our lines all went up to 90 hours (from 75 to 80) AFTER we furloughed.

YOu gotta do what you gotta do. As a commuter its hard to pick up a part time job. BUt if you live in base, I dont see why you wouldnt.

I'm thinking of starting up an inventory photo & window sticker business for car dealers. If I can pick up two or three stores that turn 50 cars a month I'd actually make more doing that than my current spot.

I had a second job making an extra 300 bucks a week, lived in base and was on NAP reserve so I never flew. Life was great! Then I got my jet training class date earlier than expected. Darn:D

My sim partner was a high school substitute teacher. I think he made like 80 bucks a day.

Yup, that's a good 2nd job. No commitments---if you're available when they call and you want to--you work...if not, you don't. I'm still on the substitute list at a preschool I worked at and pick up the work when I want to. $70 a day for watching preschool children (or infants/toddlers) is a very easy way for me to earn extra cash. I even got a call at 3 am while in LAS for NJC to fill in for someone!

I'm probably gonna do the substitute teacher thing when it comes around again. I've got a mole in the DeSoto Country school system that's doing research for me. :)

I have one and it was working just fine when I was on reserve and hardly flying at all. I found 5 days of sitting on the couch made me want to go do some more work. But since I have a line I just haven't had time to put as much time into it as I should. Kinda obvious, but if you can find something that allows you to make your own hours it'll help immensely.

I commute home to do my pre-flying job. The commute is brutal but the pay is great. It makes me wonder if I want to continue this career.

Jace commutes San Diego - NYC :)

I say go for it

OUCH. I dont know if a part time job is a good idea. U already lose a several days a month because of the commute. So with the few days off you have, do you really think you want to go into work making lattes and mochas?

In cali, sub-ing is a good idea, but you need to take the CSET. Most states just want a degree, but no the golden state, unfortunately.

Good luck. My suggestion is, in your situation, your rest/ time off is more valuable than 8 bucks an hour at starbucks. If you can find a job that pays more, than MAYBE. but dont burn yourself out.

OUCH. I dont know if a part time job is a good idea. U already lose a several days a month because of the commute. So with the few days off you have, do you really think you want to go into work making lattes and mochas?

In cali, sub-ing is a good idea, but you need to take the CSET. Most states just want a degree, but no the golden state, unfortunately.

Good luck. My suggestion is, in your situation, your rest/ time off is more valuable than 8 bucks an hour at starbucks. If you can find a job that pays more, than MAYBE. but dont burn yourself out.

$8/hr must be CA wage at Starbucks. My wife doesn't make much more than that there, and she's been there for 4 years.

I'm working on setting up some part-time software development work. The thing with that is, you can take it with you. Good thing to do during overnights in BUF and three hour blocks of LGA appreciation time....

The next time you're in SYR hit up Borders at the mall and get some .NET books, take a Microsoft test, and boom.

Back