Part-Time Job - I think I'm gonna go for it

I commute home to do my pre-flying job. The commute is brutal but the pay is great. It makes me wonder if I want to continue this career.

I wonder what percentage of people at the regionals fell the way you do. I don't see things improving industry wide any time soon.

If I could find a part time job that paid 11 an hour i'd get one. Until then I'd rather pile it onto the visa.

Having grown up in africa and asia and europe, I can say that North America is the only, and absolute only, place where professional pilots are reduced to working 2nd jobs. I think if your customers knew you were a professional pilot, they would be very shocked.
Why not fly elsewhere? Turbo-prop pilots from the states and canada are finding work all over the world. It may not be the 747 or anything but it's expat pay and hours in the logbook.

Having grown up in africa and asia and europe, I can say that North America is the only, and absolute only, place where professional pilots are reduced to working 2nd jobs. I think if your customers knew you were a professional pilot, they would be very shocked.
Why not fly elsewhere? Turbo-prop pilots from the states and canada are finding work all over the world. It may not be the 747 or anything but it's expat pay and hours in the logbook.

Actually, I don't think they'd be shocked. People over here really don't care what pilots make as long as they get from point A to point B relatively on-time and don't have to pay more than $79 each way. If it means they have to pay another $20 for their ticket, screw the pilot. Let 'em work at Starbucks in addition to his pilot job. I mean, he gets 20 days off a month, right?

Actually, I don't think they'd be shocked. People over here really don't care what pilots make as long as they get from point A to point B relatively on-time and don't have to pay more than $79 each way. If it means they have to pay another $20 for their ticket, screw the pilot. Let 'em work at Starbucks in addition to his pilot job. I mean, he gets 20 days off a month, right?

Well I don't expect them to care about my paycheck because I don't care about theirs. They will care when cheap underpaid (as judged by the market rates) pilots have a history of bending metal or not being able to get to their destinations but until then they won't care because it doesn't effect them one iota. Why you guys, and ALPA in general, don't get this boggles my mind.

When you shop for gasoline for your car do you look for the most expensive gas or the least expensive? Do you care if the owner is making less money or the employees inside make $0.25 less per hour at the cheaper station?

Well I don't expect them to care about my paycheck because I don't care about theirs. They will care when cheap underpaid (as judged by the market rates) pilots have a history of bending metal or not being able to get to their destinations but until then they won't care because it doesn't effect them one iota. Why you guys, and ALPA in general, don't get this boggles my mind.

Boggles your mind b/c you turn everything into a cost analysis rather than what's right and wrong. I don't shop at Wal-Mart b/c of how they treat their employees. Doesn't matter that they're $0.02 cents cheaper than the other guy. Plus, I actually care about quality in my products 90% of the time.

When you shop for gasoline for your car do you look for the most expensive gas or the least expensive? Do you care if the owner is making less money or the employees inside make $0.25 less per hour at the cheaper station?

Apples to oranges. Shopping for gasoline has no customer service associated with it. You pull up to a pump and do all the work yourself. Can't say that about the airlines. Someone pays $79 for a one-way ticket and expects first class service is a lot different than someone pulling up to the self-serve pump. If the person was actively pumping my gas and there was one-on-one interaction, then I might make a decision based on customer service. I do so daily. Then again, I was brainwashed by Disney to expect higher customer service standards. When I don't get them, I shop elsewhere....even (GASP) if it costs more.

Plus, I actually care about quality in my products 90% of the time.

So you're saying higher paid pilots are better than lower paid pilots?

Apples to oranges. Shopping for gasoline has no customer service associated with it. You pull up to a pump and do all the work yourself. Can't say that about the airlines. Someone pays $79 for a one-way ticket and expects first class service is a lot different than someone pulling up to the self-serve pump. If the person was actively pumping my gas and there was one-on-one interaction, then I might make a decision based on customer service. I do so daily. Then again, I was brainwashed by Disney to expect higher customer service standards. When I don't get them, I shop elsewhere....even (GASP) if it costs more.
I disagree most people expect to get to their destination ON TIME with their bags, hardly too much to ask. In addition an airline like Frontier with great customer service marks is on the brink of Chapter 7. Customer service doesn't go very far in the public transportation sector. Price does.

If we're going on the basis of capitalism than yes. To get a very good paying job, say FedEx SWA or UPS you have to be better than the other guy interviewing for the job. Maybe that means more hours, better hours or perhaps a better record. Unfortunately, lots of very experienced pilots are not earning what they should. However, even those underpaid pilots are making more than any of us at the regionals.

If we're going on the basis of capitalism than yes. To get a very good paying job, say FedEx SWA or UPS you have to be better than the other guy interviewing for the job. Maybe that means more hours, better hours or perhaps a better record. Unfortunately, lots of very experienced pilots are not earning what they should. However, even those underpaid pilots are making more than any of us at the regionals.

Since when has a union been the basis for capitalism? Unions undermine the very definition of capitalism. You must be playing devils advocate here. I've flown with quite a few many people who have gone on to the majors and according to you are now classified as being better pilots, yet when they were at my company they were worse pilots? I've also flown with guys who I am surprised as heck they were hired at the places they were hired :buck:!

How do you classify being a better pilot? You say more hours/better hours/better record. Well I would argue that hours beyond a certain point are meaningless. In addition anything can happen to mar a spotless record completely outside a pilots control. What makes someone a good pax carrier pilot might not make them a good part 91, charter, or freight pilot. Each sector requires different skill sets beyond basic piloting skills. It's probably why unions partly came about in aviation, it's too hard to define what makes someone a better pilot over others in analytical terms.

Just so you all know. I am the best pilot that ever lived. I set the standard that the rest of you can compare yourselves to. Maybe one day after I die, one of you may become the new worlds best pilot.

When you see me in the terminal or crew room, no need to bow down. A simple tip of the hat will do.

Where did you get that one? The answer is "not necessarily," but that's really neither here nor there.

I disagree most people expect to get to their destination ON TIME with their bags, hardly too much to ask. In addition an airline like Frontier with great customer service marks is on the brink of Chapter 7. Customer service doesn't go very far in the public transportation sector. Price does.

Which is why I weep for America as a whole and see Wal-Mart and others like them ruling all as customer service slowly spirals around the drain. In other countries, customer service DOES make a difference. Which is why some foreign airlines spend tons of $$$ on extras for their planes while we charge people for pillows. Other cultures don't mind paying extra $$$ if there's stuff included with the price. Americans click the lowest price on Orbitz and complain b/c they had to pay $2 for a can of Pringles. Now if they'd paid the extra $10 for another flight (not that these even exist anymore), they might have gotten a meal and in-flight entertainment rather that "Buy McDonald's and a book before you get on the plane." Part of what's wrong with our country is people want awesome service for pennies. I've heard people complain about the service of airlines and in the same breath talk about how much cheaper tickets have gotten since the 80s. Well, think there might be a connection, there?

I've already admitted to being a little nuts as to my willingness to pay more for a better product or better customer service. If there were more nuts around, maybe airlines wouldn't be getting crappy customer service marks b/c people wouldn't fly on them. Sad truth is the person that says "I'm never flying this airline again" for a poor customer service experience will be right back in the boarding area the next time if they're $5 cheaper than the other guy.

"Poor customer service" is a pretty subjective thing. Most pax don't understand what it takes for a flight to get off the ground. They think they come onboard, we close the door and leave. Heaven forbid there are weather delays, ATC delays, maintenance issues, etc. All they know is they're pissed since their ticket says they're departing at xxxx and arriving at xxxx and now they're not. Some bitch and moan and write complaint letters. Others suck it up. Either way, you're probably right, Steve. Cheaper fares usually win out.

"Poor customer service" is a pretty subjective thing. Most pax don't understand what it takes for a flight to get off the ground. They think they come onboard, we close the door and leave. Heaven forbid there are weather delays, ATC delays, maintenance issues, etc. All they know is they're pissed since their ticket says they're departing at xxxx and arriving at xxxx and now they're not. Some bitch and moan and write complaint letters. Others suck it up. Either way, you're probably right, Steve. Cheaper fares usually win out.

We had this unruly passenger the other day who kept hitting the FA call button because he kept wanting to know "when are we gonna get there?!?!?!?!!". We were holding over Pottstown on our way into Philly and we were delayed about 30 minutes... the guy was very inconsiderate and said he would write a complaint letter to US Airways about the "poor" service.

He wanted us to risk our certificates and jobs by heading straight to the airport, disregarding ATC's instructions, just so he could be there quicker and be satisfied. I just laughed at his stupidity.

Shop Costco! Quality goods, low prices, and they treat their employees better than anyone in the retail sector, plus a CEO who started the company yet only takes 4 times the salary what a floor manager makes. Id have sex with Costco if I could.

Back