Part 135 vs CFI for time building?

Edit: My post is playing devils advocate to wheelsup. Although true for me, Im not going to say it will be true for everyone. Do what you want to do. I dont know if one is better than another for everyone. My advice is dont take a job just for the hours. Them types of jobs are miserable and after you get the hours, you will realize its nothing more than numbers in your logbook. Hold yourself to professional development no matter what path you do is more important. Consistently evaluate and develop yourself in knowledge and skills.

Funny you say that. I was thinking the same thing while reading through... I'd absolutely love to go 135, and I would probably prefer it over CFI'ing, but when you're a career changer--married with kids.. it's a lot more practical to CFI while you keep your day job. It's a lot easier for my wife and children to be supportive of a career change if I don't cut our income by 3/4 to take a 135 FO gig right out of flight school. It's going to take me longer to build the required time, but whatever. Around my parts CFIs are in dire need.

Around my parts CFIs are in dire need.
You mean America?
Just be sure to find a way to enjoy teaching if you don't already. Many a students have been turned away from flying and onto other hobbies by flight instructors that were just trying to build time and didn't truly care about the students goals.
You'll hate life too if you don't enjoy teaching.
Just my $0.02.

You mean America?
Just be sure to find a way to enjoy teaching if you don't already. Many a students have been turned away from flying and onto other hobbies by flight instructors that were just trying to build time and didn't truly care about the students goals.
You'll hate life too if you don't enjoy teaching.
Just my $0.02.

I'll enjoy teaching, I just agreed with the fact that 135 would be an easier life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you say that. I was thinking the same thing while reading through... I'd absolutely love to go 135, and I would probably prefer it over CFI'ing, but when you're a career changer--married with kids.. it's a lot more practical to CFI while you keep your day job. It's a lot easier for my wife and children to be supportive of a career change if I don't cut our income by 3/4 to take a 135 FO gig right out of flight school. It's going to take me longer to build the required time, but whatever. Around my parts CFIs are in dire need.
I would consider the liability aspect of being as CFI in your position.

Most of us when we came up had $0 to our name, rented an apartment, had no one to support, etc. If something happens your name gets put on that lawsuit and you would have stuff to lose.

I would consider the liability aspect of being as CFI in your position.

Most of us when we came up had $0 to our name, rented an apartment, had no one to support, etc. If something happens your name gets put on that lawsuit and you would have stuff to lose.

That may be true but I don't think fear of being sued constitutes avoiding building time as a CFI.. living by that logic we could generalize and say folks with families or assets should stay away from aviation.

Our 135 shop does a fair share of international flying. My huge concern would be being spoiled by the excitement of going to new places and then moving on to the ORD - Greenbay - ORD - Grand Rapids grind

Our 135 shop does a fair share of international flying. My huge concern would be being spoiled by the excitement of going to new places and then moving on to the ORD - Greenbay - ORD - Grand Rapids grind

ORD - GRR is great for an FO. No time to be lazy or sleep.

Gear up! 5-4-3-2-1 Gear down!

ORD - GRR is great for an FO. No time to be lazy or sleep.

Gear up! 5-4-3-2-1 Gear down!

So is Naples-Tampa, Miami-Naples and other weird FL stuff I get to do sometimes.
But there's also immensely rewarding stuff like flying the leg to some god forsaken place and poking around with a radar on descend at night, comparing the picture to taws to figure out which of those are weather, shooting a vor/dme there. Granted, 121 is a more controlled environment, but still.

That may be true but I don't think fear of being sued constitutes avoiding building time as a CFI.. living by that logic we could generalize and say folks with families or assets should stay away from aviation.

Not really - your liability as a CFI stays with you for years or maybe even longer as students you've signed off go out into the world. A friend of mine was sued along with the flight school years after a student whom got his PPL under him ran out of gas.

You don't even have to lose the lawsuit in order to be out mega-bucks in legal fees defending yourself. I've kept my CFI active but only in case I have kids who want to fly someday. I won't use it again at a school.

I would also consider only instructing under a structured environment as well for this reason - so that you can be (mostly) assured all the boxes in training have been checked for liability sakes.

Pittsburgh, PA - Hawker 400 First Officer
Department: Flight Ops
START YOUR APPLICATION

Founded in 1982, Corporate Flight Management (CFM) dba Contour is one of the country’s leading providers of aviation services. Contour diverse capabilities include Part 135/91 aircraft management and charter, two Fixed-Base Operations located in the Nashville, Tennessee area (KMQY and KJWN), a FAR Part 145 certified aircraft maintenance facility, an aircraft sales division and FAR 141 pilot and maintenance training.

Our core values are at the heart of everything that we do and every decision we make. Constant throughout all of our lines of business is a commitment to integrity and safety. Our team members consistently display an attitude of excellence and the ability to think like a customer. At Contour, we recognize that there is strength in unity and work together as a team to accomplish our ambitious goals. We strive to provide a work environment that makes it possible for of our team members to learn and grow both personally and professionally.

Our rapid growth has created exciting employment opportunities. We invite you to become part of the Contour family.

Our Flight Operations Department has an exciting opportunity for multiple First Officer positions on Hawker aircraft, based in Pittsburgh, PA. The ideal candidate will have Hawker experience. They will need to be a team player while seeking excellence in every aspect of their performance. Join a hardworking team, which strives to safely and professionally meet the travel needs of its clients, while adhering to the company unique culture of safety, service, and integrity.

Base salary starting at: $40,000.00

RESPONSIBILITIES

• Put safety above all.
  • Comply with schedules and other directives governing the aircraft’s operation.
  • Perform all company assigned duties in accordance with company manuals, memos, and policies.
  • Conduct diligent preflight planning and prepare flight plans.
  • Provide excellent customer service to passengers.
  • Ensure that the aircraft is clean and prepared for flight with all of the necessary provisions on board for the safety and comfort of the passengers.
  • Wear the company issued uniform and comply with the uniform policy.
QUALIFICATIONS

• Be at least 23 years of age
  • Must have Commercial, multi-engine land license, instrument airplane rating
  • Posses a current first-class medical (verified at the time of the interview)
  • Possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal
  • Be a U.S. citizen or upon hire show proof of right to work in the U.S.
  • Possess a valid driver’s license
  • Possess a current passport
  • Able to lift 75 lbs. routinely with or without a reasonable accommodation
  • Hold an English Proficiency Endorsement (EPE)
  • Able to work in stressful situations and tight time constraints
  • Be self-motivated and a team player
  • Able to work nights, weekends, holidays and varying schedules
  • Able to successfully complete a DOT background investigation, including FBI fingerprints, criminal history, pre-employment drug test, reference check, national drivers record check, and no excessive check ride failures
  • No previous aviation related accidents or incidents.
  • Must have a residence that will ensure you are able to report to work within 120 minutes of a dispatch call during your assigned duty period.
MINIMUM AND/OR RECOMMENDED FLIGHT TIMES

• Total Time: 300 Minimum/1000 recommended
  • Multi-Engine Time: 100 Minimum/200 recommended

Only 300hrs total and 100 multi to make 40k?
Is the market that hard up for pilots that this is normal at other 135 shops?

Back