Part 135 vs CFI for time building?

airplane401

If you have 500 hours total time, 50 multi, 200 xc, 100 instrument, would you apply to a part 135 company to build hours or get your CFI? I found companies that will hire first officers at the following:

Planesense - 500TT
Tradewinds - 600TT
Ameriflight - 500TT
Countour Aviation - 500TT
Cape Air part 135 - 500TT
Air Choice One - 300TT

Is part 135 experience before the regionals better than CFI experience? Thanks!

I'd say the 135 gig is the more comfy way to go. I think CFI'ing is great but by no means easy. It's really slogging hour after hour out whereas in a 135 you're pretty much cranking hours out in cruise.

I'd say use the search function on this forum. This isn't the first time the subject has been discussed.

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

I've been debating this very question myself. 135 vs Imagery vs CFI.
I've decided to take the CFI path because it sounds like a better quality of experience which will make me a better pilot in the long run. Another advantage is that having a CFI will open up doors to opportunities that might not otherwise be available.

The CFI route is less efficient with regards to hours in the logbook. Both are good experience for a new-ish pilot. I went CFI because at the time it was more of a guaranteed job opportunity in my situation. I don't regret it, as it's been nice to be able to use it occasionally since then.

Hands down 135

I did 1500 dual, I wish I had done 0. Job was hard, long day, little pay, weather or flakey students and you've earned $0.

VFR for Cape Air sounds like a sweet gig to me. Flying out west for Ameriflight as well. You new guys are so lucky, you have no idea how good you have it.

Stay single as long as you can...

Hands down 135

I did 1500 dual, I wish I had done 0. Job was hard, long day, little pay, weather or flakey students and you've earned $0.

VFR for Cape Air sounds like a sweet gig to me. Flying out west for Ameriflight as well. You new guys are so lucky, you have no idea how good you have it.

Stay single as long as you can...

Hands down CFI

I did over 4000 dual and dont regret one hour. Job is very rewarding and I still got students who are now all over the country that still call me at midnight to wish me happy birthdays, and thank me for helping them get to where they are at.

I have an additional 5000 hours of 135 time, slugging around in cruise for hours at a time, being away from home while married with a baby girl is no fun.

Get married to your love of your life and enjoy a life outside of flying!

;)

Edit: My post is playing devils advocate to wheelsup. Although true for me, Im not going to say it will be true for everyone. Do what you want to do. I dont know if one is better than another for everyone. My advice is dont take a job just for the hours. Them types of jobs are miserable and after you get the hours, you will realize its nothing more than numbers in your logbook. Hold yourself to professional development no matter what path you do is more important. Consistently evaluate and develop yourself in knowledge and skills.

Last edited:
If you're planning on skywest, go the 135 route as you'll want to be eligible for the $7500 sign-on bonus. Also, getting some Glass/IFR time will really help with training.
With some 135's you can double dip and CFI on the side so why not do that?
I did 1100 hrs in the pilatus and it helped tremendously in making the jump to 121. With that said, diligent CFI's seem to have no problems either.

P.S. You will need the 25 multi at a minimum, if you don't have it already working as a cfi exposes you to more part 91 opportunities to obtain it

Last edited:
If I didn't instruct, I wouldn't be the pilot I am today. I flew with a lot of guys in turbo props and jets who were weak in airmanship skills. I subtlety asked if they ever instructed and the answer was always no. Theres just something about a student trying to kill you all day that makes you into an alert, on your toes pilot for the rest of your career. But what do I know.

If you have 500 hours total time, 50 multi, 200 xc, 100 instrument, would you apply to a part 135 company to build hours or get your CFI? I found companies that will hire first officers at the following:

Planesense - 500TT
Tradewinds - 600TT
Ameriflight - 500TT
Countour Aviation - 500TT
Cape Air part 135 - 500TT
Air Choice One - 300TT

Is part 135 experience before the regionals better than CFI experience? Thanks!

Don't forget Boutique Air!

Do those companies hire pilots with those mins? I applied to each and I haven't had any luck. Maybe I just suck. I do agree that the CFI route is a good one, although I have nothing to compare it to so far, but I have learned a lot and so have my students...I hope.

I think that experience-wise, 135 is more applicable to 121 transition, but I stuck with instructing because of the flexibility that it allowed me. Plus, most of the part 135 companies wanted a 1-2 year contract, and the 2 year contracts were a total deal killer for me.

135 would probably be the most similar to 121 and so might make for an easier transition. It would probably also get you more time in IMC and in the IFR system, and good IFR skills are essential in 121 training. Disclaimer: I have never worked for a 135 operator; before going to the airlines I instructed and then did aerial survey.

Another advantage of 135 is if you get hired with your times, it would of course be a 2-pilot operation, which would give you some experience with CRM. That said, instructing is arguably an even better CRM practice. And as many people point out, teaching requires you to have a greater level of knowledge of aviation, which will be beneficial throughout your career. Nowadays instructing might pay better than being a 135 SIC.

It sounds like you don't have your CFI certificate yet, so if you can afford to you might start working on it while applying to 135 operators. You never know if you'll get a call from them anyway at their minimums, and if you do it may not be right away.

One other thing to consider is if a 135 operator makes you sign a long contract and you could get to 121 minimums sooner by instructing, it might make sense to instruct since seniority is everything at the airlines (and it sounds like 121 is your goal).

You will probably do just fine with either. And while instructing can be an excellent way to build time, it is not "the way, the truth and the light" as many claim.

Also, you might look into aerial survey if getting your CFI certificate isn't feasible and you can't get hired at a 135 operator. However that would not be nearly as gpod experience for 121 than either instructing or 135.

I hope this is helpful, and best of luck with your job search.

Last edited:
I think that experience-wise, 135 is more applicable to 121 transition, but I stuck with instructing because of the flexibility that it allowed me. Plus, most of the part 135 companies wanted a 1-2 year contract, and the 2 year contracts were a total deal killer for me.

These contracts are no joke. Some go as high as 30k+ and they're structured as promissory notes so if you bail the company has legal recourse. 135 can give you quality time but it depends on the operation. I hear very good things from the picto guys so explore that option as well.

I hear very good things from the picto guys so explore that option as well.

Experience-wise, aerial survey is probably not the best for 121. It is usually single pilot, mostly VFR, and is really one of the easiest types of flying there is as well as one of the easiest jobs in general. However it can be an excellent way to build time quickly, and with 500TT you would have a good chance of being hired at a Picto vendor. This time of year tends to be when they do most of their hiring, since the season runs roughly from October to May, although it might be a bit late. I know SkyLens has stopped accepting resumes for the season but there are other vendors.

So survey would be worth looking into although instruction and 135 would both be better experience for 121.

Back