Pan Am it is!

TheFlyingTurkey

Fetus Worshiper
OK guys, I have decided on Pan Am! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif Am I nuts? /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif With all of the arguing going on I should have run away. But I think for myself, and I feel Pan Am and I will be a good fit. I just sent in my application, so the ball is rolling. Next is to get approved for the loan. I intend to start on the August 27th start date.

For you guys still on the fence, I am going to keep this thread going with regular updates. So if I made the right choice, or screwed up royally, I will share it with you.

Now all I have to do is quit my job, sell my car, find a place to live, move all my stuff, and JUST DO IT!

The Flying Turkey

Turk,

You have my condolences, /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif Good Luck with your career, and when you make it, see you in the skies.

Someone play QUEEEN's "another one bites, the dust."

Best Regards,
Heat2151

Just curious, what made you decide on Pan Am after all the trash that's been written about them in this forum? They're on my list of schools to see as well, but I'm going to scrutinize them a lot more than the other schools based on what I've read here. Did you address any of the issues that were raised on this board?

Dave

Ditto. They are also on my list, but I have reservations as well. I will be visiting them along with the other Florida schools.

Did you get a chance to speak with some of the students while you were there?

Depends on how you define "nuts". Is it nuts to pay four times the price--up front, fly where they tell you, when they tell you, no options for ground school, wear a uniform when it's hot and humid, yada, yada, yada, it's all been said before. I'm not knocking Pan Am specifically. I just think the large pilot factories in general will get you the same licenses I have for much more money with fewer options for you--the CUSTOMER.
Good luck with your chosen path, I wish you well. If you want to check out just one more option, e-mail me before you quit your job and sell your car.

Just don't say you weren't warned. Good luck, study hard and by all means, check your account at least once a week. Question the brief times too. BTW they will try to make you sign a waiver for the brief times....don't sign it. Just some helpful suggestions to maybe save you some money and heartache. Again, good luck.
Jim

Good Luck Turk- You'll love the experience there, at least for the first few ratings, until you.... well nevermind. I'm not going down that road again. I wish you the best of luck and I'll see you in the skies. FLDiver is right, keep an eye on your account and watch those brief times. Good Luck

Flying Turkey, or Cooked Goose?

Good luck. Let us know how things go. Just curious, did you visit Flight Safety, and if so, what made you choose Pan Am over them?

ps-sorry bout the subject line, I couldn't resist

Re: Flying Turkey, or Cooked Goose?

Maybe...... "Sitting Duck"!! Sorry, couldn't resist. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

I love you guys! Cooked goose..thats a good one!

OK, yes I did visit FSI, and the main reason why I chose Pan Am over them is the wait list for instructing. Pan Am has no wait list.

I did talk to a couple of students away from the staff. One gave me his phone number and I called him a few days after the tour. I asked about all the things that FLDiver has mentioned. I was told his experience was NOT typical. But I was warned by the student to watch my account on a weekly basis, due to some legitimate errors this student found on his account, and were quickly resolved. Such as charged for a flight that was cancelled the day of, due to weather. The student told me this was just a "lag" in communication between dispatch and accounting, but that was about 9 months ago, and he hasn't had the problem again.

So I am not worried about getting raped by them, because I WILL BE WATCHING them like a hawk. (or turkey?) /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif
I have never heard anything bad about the quality of instruction there, (in fact I hear it is quite good), only administrative problems. And those problems seem to be related to growing pains, and appear to be resolved now.

So now I am waiting for the loan to go through, and I am ready to start in August. Cant wait!

The Turk.

And all you guys who have Pan Am on your tour list, visit them, and see for yourself. FSI is a great school, and I felt right at home when I toured there. I would probably have a great experience at either school, but the wait list bothers me, and there are 350 other students already there, ahead of me in line. Dont take a school off of your tour list just because 2 guys had a problem with a school. At the very least it will give you a good way to compare the schools against each other.

The Turk.

hey, see ya when ya get down here. i don't think you'll have any problems at Panam. just study hard, it seems to be the biggest reason people here get behind and have to spend extra cash. i've had a great expereince here, and i really feel like i've gotten my moneys worth. and do keep a good eye on your account, little mistakes do happen from time to time but they only get worked out if you are vigilant of them. see ya soon

Way to go Flyingturkey!!!!!! I am happy that you didn't listen to these few on here, because
I always knew that their experiences were just a very select few. Knowing that there are
still people selecting Pan Am, makes me feel good to know that they are at the top of
my list.
I am currently going after my private here at my local FBO, and am getting ready to do
my first solo! I am so excited, when me and my instructor finaly get into x-country's, the first
one we are planning is one down to Ft. Pierce, and Vero.
Pan Am has been at the top of my list from the get go, but i am trying not to form any opinion
of the schools, until i see them first hand.
Fldiver, and the others, i appreciate you telling us about your experiences, because it has given
me a few questions to ask Pan Am when i get down ther, though i do understand that you had
a "unique" experience.

Anyways, Good Luck Turkey, maybe i'll see you there!!

Sean

Its funny how everyone here started with the wise cracks as soon as I said I decided on Pan Am. Its like they were surprised I didn't listen to the 2 guys that had problems, out of the 100's that didn't. I thought for myself, and made a decision based on many different aspects.
Now I cant wait to get over there and start flying!

The Turk.

"Take lots of pills, one of them might work!"

Hey Turk, I mean Goose. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Hey man, it's all in good fun just take it all with a grain of salt, /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif dude we are all with you 100%, but seriously work hard, study your Arse off and make it. But keep us posted on all your progress.

Good Luck and See you in the Skies.

Best Regards,
Heat2151

Hey guy's, I know you are just joking around. I thought that cooked goose crack was actually pretty funny! /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

The Turk.

P.S. I got my acceptance letter from Pan Am yesterday, and approved for the Key loan!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

OK, an update....
I have orientation August 28th, and flight training begins September 2nd. All the money is squared away, and the apartment is lined up.
From what I hear the uniform shirts at the pilot shop are $25, so I ordered some nice Van Husen Aviator shirts from Marv Golden for $19.50, and a nice navy blue aviator tie to go with 'em. I also ordered a pair of David Clark H10-13.4 for $269 and a real nice Jepp flight bag. I guess I will pick up the rest of the stuff I need at the pilot shop.
I cant wait to get up there....see you guys in a few weeks! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

The Turk.

Thats funny hearing you describe it as "UP" there. Its "down" to about 99% of the rest of us in the country. "I'm going up to Ft. Peirce" just dosn't sound right. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Back