Packing Workout Clothes Question

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
I've been doing this for over 4 years now so you'd THINK I'd have this worked out.

How do ya'll pack your workout clothes (shoes included) so they don't stink up the rest of the stuff in your bag on a 4 day trip?

I'm assuming that your question is serious. Don't leave 'em wet and stashed in a bag. There is no solution except to ventilate/air dry. Think in the same terms as you would a good change of clothes. Take them out of the bag when you get to your destination. I've got to ask: For 4 years you've been packing rancid workout gear? (I'm kidding with the question but I don't know how to create the 3 little guys lying on their backs laughing)

I'm assuming that your question is serious. Don't leave 'em wet and stashed in a bag. There is no solution except to ventilate/air dry. Think in the same terms as you would a good change of clothes. Take them out of the bag when you get to your destination. I've got to ask: For 4 years you've been packing rancid workout gear? (I'm kidding with the question but I don't know how to create the 3 little guys lying on their backs laughing)

Actually, no... I haven't been bringing workout gear with me when I get a trip. I just work out hard on my off days and, of those 4 years, I've been on reserve (in both seats) for 3 of them so I'm actually at home a whole lot and 4 day trips are normally few and far between.

I've had some 'migratory' experience so being packed is second nature to me. Working out on the road can be a sanity saver. I take it you are meaning a new routine for health's sake.

I let mines air out over night. Then I stuff them in one of the laundry bags. I usually throw an extra bar of the hotel soap in my roller board to help out with odor.

I put dirties in a plastic bag but it all goes in a duffel.....in a blivet at FL400 I'd say the cold probably kills all the smellies :)

Here is how I do it: I have the stealth 22 with the duffel bag. The duffel becomes my shoes and dirty clothes bag after the 2nd day.

Well, I try to work out at night so they have all evening to dry out. This is going to gross some of you out because I know they don't clean those shower rods but I hang my sweaties on the shower rod and let them dry out over night. Then I use an orange nylon bag with a draw string to store them in my luggage. I pack the bag at the bottom of the suitcase with my running shoes on top of it, then clean clothes on top. This seems to work out pretty well.

Of course, this was when I was actually working out ;)

KLB answered my long standing question. Sometimes the answers are soooo obvious. In some high end hotels they stock rooms with some pretty good soap but after opening it I would just leave it in the shower. Now I can take it with me and my workout clothes will not smell badly. Brilliant Smithers!

Here's what I did:

-I'd bring my running shoes and wear them as my overnight shoes most of the time. They were ultra comfortable and I figured if I needed to find food, I could be walking for a while anyway so why not eh? They'd go in the bottom of the rollaboard (if it's standing straight up).

-Inside my rollaboard I'd have three compression bags; one full of underwear, socks and undershirts, basically anything I changed on a daily basis. In the second bag I'd put my gym shorts, extra uniform shirt/pants and my overnight polo shirt. The third bag would start the trip empty.

-As the trip proceeded, I'd move things into that empty third bag as they got dirty. So used socks, underwear and undershirts ended up there, along with my normal uniform shirt if it got dirty. I'd keep the polo in the second bag for the trip, and the gym shorts depending on whether I had time to work out. If I did, it'd go directly to the third laundry bag.

This setup allowed me to keep everything fairly organized, but most of all it kept the smelly clothes away from the fresh clothes, and all my clothes away from my shoes. In addition to that, it allowed me to stay pretty well organized during the trip. It always worked well for me, but I also took a few extra minutes to make sure everything was organized prior to walking out of the room in the morning. If you're willing to spend the extra couple of minutes with it, the whole system worked pretty well.

I let mines air out over night. Then I stuff them in one of the laundry bags. I usually throw an extra bar of the hotel soap in my roller board to help out with odor.

Thats what I do sans the bar of soap. But thats a great idea. I usually let my dirty clothes sit on top of the a/c vent overnight.

Ok, first things first...ziplocks work well. What works better is rinsing your clothes after your workout. Then air dry them overnight, and put them either in the hotel "dirty laundry bags", or ziplocks, whichever works for you.

Second, avoid the soap. What do you do if your bag gets wet...now you have soap all over the place. I put a couple of the dryer sheets in my bag. Even if I don't have smelly clothes, it helps keep the clean ones smelling clean.

Of course, a 4 day trip is a very short time in my book. I go on the road for 20 days at a time, and have been gone for 20 days on a single trip when I was stateside doing charter.

Thanks for the feedback. I've actually tried just about all the methods in here (except the compression bags). I guess I'll just keep doing what I was doing. That or of course I could just not work out and be lazy. Actually I like that idea more.

I've been doing this for over 4 years now so you'd THINK I'd have this worked out.

How do ya'll pack your workout clothes (shoes included) so they don't stink up the rest of the stuff in your bag on a 4 day trip?

I put it in the plastic laundry bag the hotel provides in your closet.

Well, I try to work out at night so they have all evening to dry out. This is going to gross some of you out because I know they don't clean those shower rods but I hang my sweaties on the shower rod and let them dry out over night. Then I use an orange nylon bag with a draw string to store them in my luggage. I pack the bag at the bottom of the suitcase with my running shoes on top of it, then clean clothes on top. This seems to work out pretty well.

Of course, this was when I was actually working out ;)

Who cleans their own shower rods though?? I have never done it

Just work out naked and stop worrying about dirty clothes. P90X in your room will work out fine. Just watch out for the resistance bands, they snap hard

Back