PA Cabin announcements Question

Ecl!pse

Doug, I was reading the "new hire training" section on the homepage, and i noticed that while in training, they teach you how to make proper PA statements..what is the "correct" way, or what way do they want you making one?? maybe a sample for us? I never thought there was a certain way, I always thought you just kinda picked up as you went along, and learned from other peoples announcements. thanks

They sang to me on my last SWA flight. Our deplaning music at RDU consisted of one of the FAs doing this little number:

"We love you, you love us
we're much faster than the bus
we like having fun you see
marry one of us and you'll fly free"

FL270

There really isn't a "correct" way per se, but it was more or less a discussion on when it's appropriate to say things.

But I think it's a learning process.

Like I don't give runway or wind information any more because people really don't care.

"Ooh, westerly winds on 35 center grandma!"

But I will give them information if we're landing to the north or to the south if someone's hankering for a glimpse of something notable on arrival.

I don't give out the flight number after the door closes. Passengers already know it's flight 12345 and know they're going to Sacramento. This is something I typically might do on a Salt Lake City to Sacramento flight:

Good afternoon from the cockpit, this is first officer Doug Taylor...In command of your aircraft is captain Joe Jackson. We've just reached 33,000 feet and if you look out to the right, you'll see the Bonneville Salt Flats, a little later, our route of flight will take us over the sierra nevada mountains near Yosemite and we'll begin the descent over (whatever is near the descent point). As we said earlier, the time enroute is one hour and eleven minutes, which should have us touching down at noon and into the gate shortly thereafter.

Captain Jackson thinks there might be some choppy air along the route of flight so if the fasten seat belt sign comes on, please make sure you return to your seat and check the security of your seat belt.

The forecast weather at our arrival is indicating 15 degrees centigrade, 59 degrees fahrenheit, light winds and clear skies and that should continue for the duration of the day. We've got a Cincinnati-based cabin crew and they'll take good care of you. We invite you to make yourselves comfortable and we'll do all we can to give you a safe, comfortable ride to Sacramento.

Enjoy your flight and thank you for choosing Delta

I don't always use the same PA and I change the words often so I don't get bored and start talking like a auctioneer.

. . . and here's what the passengers hear:

blah blah blah, first officer in command, blah blah blah, to the right Yosemite, blah blah blah, choppy air Cincinnati-based, blah blah blah, Delta.

Just substitute passengers for dogs and this says it perfectly.

farside2.gif

In fact most don't listen to the PA's, not even the flight attendants.

Usually, right after I say "flight time is 1 hour, 28 minutes", they'll usually 'ding' the cockpit and ask "What's our ETA?"

Well duh!

Or my favorite is when you're in the middle of far west Texas and there's nothing but armadillos and dirt, they'll 'ding' the cockpit and ask "Where are we?"

"West Texas..."

"What city?"

"There is no city, but that's I-10.

Or my other favorite "What river is that?"

"It's the Yangtze"

"Oh really?"

"Yup!"

[ QUOTE ]
"It's the Yangtze"
"Oh really?"
"Yup!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Try "the Sticks" next time and see if anyone catches it.
grin.gif

I loved it when I was working galley, and people would come back to the galley (especially the aft galley in the 767, where there are no windows) where I'm busy slinging carts around and ask "where are we"?

One of my favorite PAs from altitude:

"Hello folks, this is Captain Tenney from the Pointy End of the plane, and we just thought we'd share a little flight info with you.

We're cruising at 37,000 ft and it's about -40 degrees outside so please keep the windows rolled up as it's a little chilly out there.

People on the left, you have a great view of NY City and the most populated part of the United States - the mass suburban jungle from Washington to Boston. Down there is where it's all happening folks, where God goes directly to the White House and Wall Street.

People on the right, you can't see anything but ocean. NO NO NO! Don't run to the left side of the plane like that! You're messing up the airplane (pull her back level Sparky.) OK now stay in your seats with your seatbelts fastened when your there ok?

Now I've turned out the seat belt sign so you are now free to get up and move about and dance in the aisles if you like, but no Lambata or Macarena, as we are a family airline.

Please stay in your seats when you aren't dancing your way to the bathroom so our flight attendant, Turbo, can bring you one of those highly nutritious USAirways bricks along with your watered down drink.

Well we're well on our way to wherever we're going (Where we going Sparky? Boston? Are you sure? ok thanks) - ah yeah, that's Boston and I promise we'll get there today as we feature same day service here on USAirways Express.

USAirways starts with U and Your Money so we thank you for speniding it with us today."

Doug, I still give wind information, especially when its high so when my landing stinks theyll think, oh, well it was windy!

mmmmm Bojangles.

We didn't practice at all in training. Our FOM gives a sample that we all kind of personalize. It also states to avoid terms such as turbulence, fog, thunderstorms, and fire as these tend to make passengers nervous.

Ah yes, the wonderful "euphemisms" we all know and love for talking to the passengers. Things like:

"a little rough air" = heart-stopping, gut-wrenching turbulence
"some weather ahead" = thunderstorms that will turn us in to Swiss cheese
"a bit breezy" = sixty degrees off the runway, gusting to fifty
"reduced visibility" = gee, when was my last Cat II?

A couple weeks ago I was going in to IAH and the crew actually announced there was 1/4 mile visibility. Since the RJs were landing behind us, one assumes that though the vis may have been that low, they had at least 1800 RVR. For a minute there, I was waiting for the "folks, we're going to have to head to San Antonio to wait out the fog" announcement.

FL270

[ QUOTE ]

"It's the Yangtze"

"Oh really?"

"Yup!"

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL....that is a good one!
laugh.gif

Oh man, I'll say 'thunderstorm' or 'fog' in a heartbeat.

Basically people get in too much trouble when you pussyfoot around with weather. If you mention thunderstorms and moderate turbulence, they're not going to be meandering around the aisle when the seat belt sign comes on and end up getting injured.

If I mention the word "fog", I'll talk about visibility, things that we can do to work with it and that it might cause a delay because of the need for more spacing during arrival/approach.

Usually when I'm honest on the PA, people make positive comments. If I try and sugarcoat the situation, usually people are more pissed because they're late or the guy in 24F was snoring.

[ QUOTE ]
One of my favorite PAs from altitude:

"Hello folks, this is Captain Tenney from the Pointy End of the plane, and we just thought we'd share a little flight info with you.

We're cruising at 37,000 ft and it's about -40 degrees outside so please keep the windows rolled up as it's a little chilly out there.

People on the left, you have a great view of NY City and the most populated part of the United States - the mass suburban jungle from Washington to Boston. Down there is where it's all happening folks, where God goes directly to the White House and Wall Street.

People on the right, you can't see anything but ocean. NO NO NO! Don't run to the left side of the plane like that! You're messing up the airplane (pull her back level Sparky.) OK now stay in your seats with your seatbelts fastened when your there ok?

Now I've turned out the seat belt sign so you are now free to get up and move about and dance in the aisles if you like, but no Lambata or Macarena, as we are a family airline.

Please stay in your seats when you aren't dancing your way to the bathroom so our flight attendant, Turbo, can bring you one of those highly nutritious USAirways bricks along with your watered down drink.

Well we're well on our way to wherever we're going (Where we going Sparky? Boston? Are you sure? ok thanks) - ah yeah, that's Boston and I promise we'll get there today as we feature same day service here on USAirways Express.

USAirways starts with U and Your Money so we thank you for speniding it with us today."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a stupid question, but is that a true story?

[ QUOTE ]

This is a stupid question, but is that a true story?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's time for a poll!
smile.gif

hahah, Doug, do you ever say "Folks, from the flight deck."? haha, this spring, before i begin lessons, my mom wants to do another 'introductory flight' so she sees what ill be doing...while shes in the back of the 172 i was gonna be like "mom, from the flight deck. were second in line for departure outta allegheny county. our approximate flight time takeoff to touchdown about 30 minutes. at this time we ask your tray tables be stowed and locked and your seat in its upright position." or something like that...haha think it would be a nice catch, or really dumb?haha

another question...on your (anybody whos been a captain or FO) very first PA announcement, were you nervous at all?

Back