PA-46 Malibu Down in Erie, CO KEIK - 3 Dead, 2 Injured

I don't see a registration number.

RIP.

N22***?

erie-plane-crash-b.ferguson2_1409522797434_7654808_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Got this message from a guy I know on the Piper forum.

"A Malibu crashed at Erie County Airport in Colorado today during an aborted landing attempt. I was departing Runway 15 with an 8 knot wind out of 140 degrees and several other aircraft were either in the pattern for or had just landed on 14, including a Piper Super Cruiser that was doing a taxi-back after landing on the grass next to runway 15. After coordinating sequencing with the Super Cruiser, I announced on the CTAF frequency that I was preparing to depart 15 Erie and a Cessna in the pattern asked if I was rolling yet to which I replied "Meridian 3 Mike Sierra rolling on 15 Erie, straight out departure".

Just as I cleared the threshold and started to raise the gear, the TCAS system started to announce "Traffic - Traffic" and I yellow target appeared on the screen at my altitude ( maybe 400' AGL) and dead ahead. I deviated to the right and was told later by a pilot friend on the ground that it was a near miss for a head on collision and that the other aircraft then apparently raised it's gear in an attempt to go around but stalled and went down on the airport grounds, instantly killing 4 of the 5 on board.

Needless to say, I'm rattled. I also believe I saw the Malibu in question on the ramp earlier that morning being fueled. Gold & white with a 2 bladed prop."

A friend of mine works on the ramp at KEIK and said he fueled the airplane before it departed, requested full fuel, and 5 people on board. When the airplane came in for landing, he said winds shifted to favor rwy 15, however still decided to land rwy 33. From what he told me, obviously tried to land with a tailwind of 12G18, stalled, clipped a wing, and the rest is self explainable. He told me he was one of the first on the scene right after the medivac helicopters and decided to stay away. A scene he cared not to describe. RIP to all. Hits way to close to home...

Pilot of PA-46. Also killed his girlfriend and 3 kids.

Witnesses say PA-46 was landing. Something about the engine sputtering.

I'm totally confused reading that and I've been through it 4 times.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. The pilot that wrote the message said he was departing 15, and the accident aircraft was approaching 33 despite winds and announced traffic pattern. Then apparently the accident ac realized their mistake, attempted a go around, and crashed.

RIP.

Erie has had a rough run as of late with incidents it seems. Due to high traffic volume and the fact that airport sits in a small depression (funky winds) it can get a little tricky sometimes. I used to use the VOR/GPS approach a lot with students and would always be on my toes coming in from the NE.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. The pilot that wrote the message said he was departing 15, and the accident aircraft was approaching 33 despite winds and announced traffic pattern. Then apparently the accident ac realized their mistake, attempted a go around, and crashed.

Okay I see it now. Sounds like the Malibu was arriving on 33 and the Meridian was departing 15.

Pretty easy to jump to conclusions on that.

Umm, maybe a bit judgmental, but how in the heck do you crash on a plain ol go around?

Back