PA-46 Malibu Down in Erie, CO KEIK - 3 Dead, 2 Injured

IF arriving traffic isnt talking on the radio, landing with an 8g15 knot tailwind, landing againts the flow other traffic in the pattern (at least two others) and doing a straight in, I say he dont have a leg to stand on. Regardless, sad situation.

I don't think it's been established there were no radio calls. Remember there is no requirement that a aircraft have a radio at an uncontrolled airport.

I don't think it's been established there were no radio calls. Remember there is no requirement that a aircraft have a radio at an uncontrolled airport.

"Though he heard two other pilots on the radio frequency, he did not hear Frascona, Lechtanski said"

"At no time did (he) identify himself in the pattern or in final approach," he said. "He would've heard everybody else announcing that they were in the pattern or departing (heading south), in the opposite direction."

"Lechtanski said can only speculate at this point but believes it's possible that Frascona may have been tuned to the wrong frequency and didn't hear the other pilots on the Erie channel. He said it's also possible that Frascona wasn't aware that the wind had changed direction from earlier in the day."

All hearsay I know, but that makes two different pilots in the pattern stating they heard no radio calls.

http://www.dailycamera.com/erie-news/ci_26455128/witness-plane-was-headed-wrong-way-before-erie

I don't think so but I'm willing to learn if you can quote something.

Finally found it in an AC. Not a right-away rule but close.

f. Landing and takeoff should be accomplished
on the operating runway most nearly aligned into
the wind. However, -if a secondary runway is
used, pilots using the secondary runway should
avoid the flow of traffic to the runway most
nearly aligned into the wind.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC90-66A.pdf

Finally found it in an AC. Not a right-away rule but close.

f. Landing and takeoff should be accomplished
on the operating runway most nearly aligned into
the wind. However, -if a secondary runway is
used, pilots using the secondary runway should
avoid the flow of traffic to the runway most
nearly aligned into the wind.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC90-66A.pdf

Thanks, that's one I don't remember seeing before.

Some would say it's not in the FAR's so it doesn't matter but when there's an incident/accident it does matter.

The accident report should be educating when it comes out.

IF arriving traffic isnt talking on the radio, landing with an 8g15 knot tailwind, landing againts the flow other traffic in the pattern (at least two others) and doing a straight in, I say he dont have a leg to stand on. Regardless, sad situation.

That's the key. Legally, one can land at an uncontrolled field on any runway, whether consistent with a pattern or a straight-in. However that said, totality-of-circumstances wise, if one does that without communicating, cuts someone off in a pattern, lands while someone is trying to depart, or any host of other things; what was legal can still become careless-and-reckless in the eyes of the FAA, IF something occurs from your legal operation not being exercised prudently.

Back