Opinions

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
I've started to develop some pet peeves. Just wondering if my opinion is within, or outside of the majority. Don't want to throw the flag if I'm just being a cranky old guy.

Where do you stand on:

1. Somebody writing down (or copying into the scratchpad) the taxi routing?

2. Putting some aileron into the wind during the takeoff roll (albeit not enough to float a spoiler)?

3. Pilots texting during taxi, or in flight below 10,000 feet. Yea or nay?

Last edited:
1. Don’t care. Many do it. None do it into my scratch pad. Do what you like.

2. Not recommended on the 737. There’s no display for whether a spoiler deploys or not and doing so degrades takeoff performance.

1. Don’t care. Many do it. None do it into my scratch pad. Do what you like.

2. Not recommended on the 737. There’s no display for whether a spoiler deploys or not and doing so degrades takeoff performance.

Word is anymore yoke deflection than the angle of the glare shield will pop the spoilers.

1. I don't care. I think it's a helpful tool though.
2. We're taught no correction due to spoilers like mentioned above.
3. That's a no go. That's worth mentioning or a call to pro standards.

I always did.

2. Putting some aileron into the wind during the takeoff roll (albeit not enough to float a spoiler)?

Completely unnecessary on a transport category jet.

On taxi? Nah. Below 10k? I probably wouldn’t care as long as it’s not busy.

Completely unnecessary on a transport category jet.

I‘ve heard that as well, usually justified by the idea that the spoiler or even the aileron increases drag and decreases takeoff performance, But then, at the moment of rotation you can feel the side load on the mains as the airplane skips (sideways) along the runway before becoming airborne. I’m a little torn. I can hear the ghosts of past instructors saying “it’s just a big 172”. The aviator in me just doesn’t like the way it feels. But I see where you guys are coming from.

I’m a little surprised that 100% of you don’t care if the other pilot copies down the taxi clearance in some way. Especially if the clearance is more than a couple of turns, seems like having record of where you’re supposed to go is a good idea. “Did he say to turn on B1? or V?”

I‘ve heard that as well, usually justified by the idea that the spoiler or even the aileron increases drag and decreases takeoff performance, But then, at the moment of rotation you can feel the side load on the mains as the airplane skips (sideways) along the runway before becoming airborne. I’m a little torn. I can hear the ghosts of past instructors saying “it’s just a big 172”. The aviator in me just doesn’t like the way it feels. But I see where you guys are coming from.
ya just don't drag spoilers for 6000' of runway while accelerating, add a dab in for correction during rotation
fly the plane if the plane is flying

It doesn't bother me. I personally write it on my told card if it's long.
It's not necessary. It is taught at the school house to do this at my employer.
No. It must be nice having WiFi.

I’m a little surprised that 100% of you don’t care if the other pilot copies down the taxi clearance in some way. Especially if the clearance is more than a couple of turns, seems like having record of where you’re supposed to go is a good idea. “Did he say to turn on B1? or V?”
Half the time I land at 5am on the east coast and plan my exit for the most direct taxi to the gate. Or its two taxiways.

1. I try not to as it’s been highly discouraged by previous POIs. I kind of agree with their thinking. The number of times I’ve put something in the scratch pad and forgot to take it out is pretty high. It’s not going to crash an airplane but it does lead to a bit more work on occasion. Besides, if I write it down it ain’t going anywhere.

2. I do whatever the manufacturer and training department tells me to do. Right now on the bus it’s zero aileron input. So that’s how I roll.

3. My general rule on non standard or non compliant behavior is as long as it doesn’t get us crashed, violated, or in a meeting in the chiefs office I don’t really care what you do. With that said, I don’t take out my phone if the airplane is moving on the ground. In the penalty box with the brake set? Yeah I might check my messages. Might.

You're a captain but you didn't specifically mention captains...I'm still in the schoolhouse but this is what they've taught us....

1. No specific guidance on method here - my sim partner was former XJT and he taught me a shorthand for it on the scratchpad which is handy, especially for really busy airports like EWR - which is where most of our training scenarios base, so it's been helpful. That said, I've written it down on my TOLD card many times, simply because task saturation is a real threat for new FOs and I'd like to make my life easy. We're encouraged to write it down if it's more than 3-4 items. When I get to the line, if a CA doesn't want me to use the pad I won't, but I'll likely write it down if I'm unfamiliar with the airport.

2. They do teach us to keep some aileron into the wind on the initial roll but take it out as we get closer to rotation.

3. I'm not touching my phone when the sterile light is on, nor am I going to violate a policy (no PEDs). I'm totally new and don't want to explore the boundaries of the rules there.

#1. I always write it down if it isn't super simple, like "taxi RWY 34R via B"....or occasionally if I'm caught off guard without a pen in hand.
#2. They told us not to in training for the reasons mentioned (or maybe it was a maximum of a degree in the early roll). I don't think I was enough of a GA aviator previously to really have this play into my muscle memory. You don't put aileron into the wind in the F/A-18 either.
#3. I can't believe that there are people that do this. I've heard of them, but obviously as an FO myself, I have never flown with one. Unbelievably stupid.

#1. I always write it down if it isn't super simple, like "taxi RWY 34R via B"....or occasionally if I'm caught off guard without a pen in hand.

#3. I can't believe that there are people that do this. I've heard of them, but obviously as an FO myself, I have never flown with one. Unbelievably stupid.
concerning 1, almost every time a put it in the scratch pad is because I was caught off guard or my dumb ass dropped my pen as soon as I heard my call sign.

And concerning 3, I think this may be more of a generational thing. I feel like this was a lot more common, nay, normalized, at the regional than it is at the major/legacy level.

Back