Open-cockpit

Waco Classic (the makers of the new YMF-5 Waco's) came out and posted a picture of the first model that had EFIS. Pretty cool stuff, but looked strange in the Waco - in a neat way. I will try to find a picture and post here. I believe that since they started building the YMF-5 that a full instrument capability has always been an option. I am not sure that I would be flying hard IFR in a Waco, but it would be cool to shoot an approach to minimums in an open cockpit biplane.

I think that the one that AOPA restored a few years ago was full IFR with a Garmin 530 in it, and they actually did instrument flying with it!

Here is a picture of the Waco I got to ride in :)

Ha ha... I don't know enough about them to tell if this is the same but heres a couple from my ride...

Someone else might know better but I think this is a Waco Special

Just one of the panel

Shot out of the Super Cub - flying with the doors open is good stuff! That AirCam looks like it'd be a lot of fun as well.
CubLow7.jpg

Shot out of the Super Cub - flying with the doors open is good stuff! That AirCam looks like it'd be a lot of fun as well.
CubLow7.jpg

There is no other way to fly a Cub.

I actually don't even know how to close the door, and I have almost 20 hours in the J3. :laff:

But what is that green thing on the front seat person's head!?!?!?

Ear plugs and eyes are also required to fly the Cub. =]

Ha ha... I don't know enough about them to tell if this is the same but heres a couple from my ride...

Someone else might know better but I think this is a Waco Special

Just one of the panel

That is a YMF-5, like the one above.

Also, for a brief time years ago, flying in an open cockpit airplane turned me into a cross-dresser (it was so cold delivering a Great Lakes with a friend during the winter that we actually went to Wal-mart on a fuel stop to buy pantyhose which supplemented our clothing for warmth - meaning that for the last half of the trip we were flying drag-queens.

And this particular walmart didn't stock sweatpants or long underwear ???

Had long underwear - sweatpants wouldn't work under jeans whereas pantyhose would work even under the long undies.

Besides, sweatpants wouldn't have provided the support, had a control top, or made my legs look and feel as good as the pantyhose.

Open cockpit is the way to go! It sounds like Alex has been lucky enough to fly in the AirCam...I have never had more fun in any other airplane period. By the photos and DE location, it seems you probably flew in 9CK...who did you fly with. You'll notice my profile pic was taken from the back seat of that very plane! If anyone is in the vicinity of KMTN and would like to experience it first hand...send me a PM...

I saw your avatar a while ago and thought that was an Aircam, but when I saw Syracuse I figured it was not CK. I have flown with both Cladius and Carlo numerous times. I almost went to OSH with Carlo two years ago in it. I have not talked to Cladius in a few months, but Carlo is a good friend of mine.

Alex.

Ryan PT-22 with the 5 cylinder Kinner 145 hp.
Pitts 2B, 260 hp
450 P&W Stearman
Cub with the door off.
C-150 & C-180 with the door / doors off.
Popped a door on a C-310. (not a fun night)

Door open cub flying is a fav. Looking through the wires of a Stearman makes for a good day as well. I haven't got the guts for a breezie....:panic:

I once took off in a 172 with the door not completely latched. As soon as I was airborne, I noticed a surprisingly strong draft coming from the door.

Not quite flying open-cockpit, but it's the closest I'VE been. ;)

One of my closest aviation friends just bought a Breezy that is currently being rebuilt down in South Carolina. It has no protection from the wind at all. It will be a 400 mile flight back home in it, and just using a sectional will be a chore!

Breezy (this is what it looks like finished, it had just landed):

breezy.jpg

Alex.

Dude,
That thing looks like it escaped the set from that movie "Those magnificent men and their flying machines."

Dude,
That thing looks like it escaped the set from that movie "Those magnificent men and their flying machines."

Stupid question for Breezy pilots:

How difficult is it to maintain attitude and stuff with nothing like a cowling to gauge wherre you are on the horizon?

Stupid question for Breezy pilots:

How difficult is it to maintain attitude and stuff with nothing like a cowling to gauge wherre you are on the horizon?

They don't have to. You see that thing coming at you and you'll get out of it's way.

PS,,I want to be the Official Breezy Pilot at Oshkosh.

Don't judge him. You know he looks beautiful in pantyhose.

Anyway, I would love to do it, but I would be scared as hell the entire time. Afterwards, it would be awesome, but it would be 50/50 in the air for me.

I once took off in a 172 with the door not completely latched. As soon as I was airborne, I noticed a surprisingly strong draft coming from the door.

Not quite flying open-cockpit, but it's the closest I'VE been. ;)
I've opened the window to a 172 and stuck my head outside because a certain Martha King obsessed forum member kept farting in the plane. :rolleyes:

I've opened the window to a 172 and stuck my head outside because a certain Martha King obsessed forum member kept farting in the plane. :rolleyes:

That would be a disadvantage to the older 172s... The right side window doesn't open. Trying to adjust the column of air coming from the tin can right to your nose is a real pain... :(

Back