Open-cockpit

PGT

I'm just curious how it is flying an open-cockpit airplane?
advantages/disadvantages?

It's something I've always wanted to do because it looks fun.

Its definitely fun!

If you get the chance, do it. Only disadvantage is the exposure to the elements. The wind is a huge part of that, and the reason for the leather flying helmets

One of the best rides in an airplane I've ever had was in a Waco. Definitely worth a try I'd say.

I have to come out as strongly against!

It can be cold in an open cockpit. Also, when you are done taxing in the rain, you can get wet. The wind is horrible (Depending upon the airplane. The YPF-7 Waco I had time in was calm - you could lay a sectional on your lap and it would stay. Stearmans without a modified turtle-deck you can't do that in). Also..THE NOISE is horrible...and I am not talking about a sweet running horizontallly opposed engine either, but noise from those nasty, cantankerous and loud radials! Also, don't under-estimate the likelyhood of falling out! I would be interested in seeing the numbers on how many people have spontaneously fallen out of open cockpit airplanes for lack of a roof. Also, for a brief time years ago, flying in an open cockpit airplane turned me into a cross-dresser (it was so cold delivering a Great Lakes with a friend during the winter that we actually went to Wal-mart on a fuel stop to buy pantyhose which supplemented our clothing for warmth - meaning that for the last half of the trip we were flying drag-queens.

All in all, because of the cold, the wind, the noise, chances of falling out, and possible conversion into a cross-dresser I would say to you not to chance it.

I have to come out as strongly against!

It can be cold in an open cockpit. Also, when you are done taxing in the rain, you can get wet. The wind is horrible (Depending upon the airplane. The YPF-7 Waco I had time in was calm - you could lay a sectional on your lap and it would stay. Stearmans without a modified turtle-deck you can't do that in). Also..THE NOISE is horrible...and I am not talking about a sweet running horizontallly opposed engine either, but noise from those nasty, cantankerous and loud radials! Also, don't under-estimate the likelyhood of falling out! I would be interested in seeing the numbers on how many people have spontaneously fallen out of open cockpit airplanes for lack of a roof. Also, for a brief time years ago, flying in an open cockpit airplane turned me into a cross-dresser (it was so cold delivering a Great Lakes with a friend during the winter that we actually went to Wal-mart on a fuel stop to buy pantyhose which supplemented our clothing for warmth - meaning that for the last half of the trip we were flying drag-queens.

All in all, because of the cold, the wind, the noise, chances of falling out, and possible conversion into a cross-dresser I would say to you not to chance it.

lol, nice...

It all depends on the airplane. The two open cockpit airplanes I am farmilier with are the Stearman and Aircam. Being scared of hieghts I actually do get nervious sometimes in the Aircam. The Stearman is no big deal because you sit so deep into the fusalage, that also helps block you from the wind. The wind in the Aircam is no big deal in the front seat because the windshield blocks 90% of the wind, but the back seat gets the full amount of wind. In the winter time we actually wear heated suits and full helments to protect ourselves from the cold. I did one flight in it on a 30* day with out a heated suit and with nothing covering my face. My face went numb on the second trip around the pattern!

AirCam
airam.jpg

arma2.jpg

One of my closest aviation friends just bought a Breezy that is currently being rebuilt down in South Carolina. It has no protection from the wind at all. It will be a 400 mile flight back home in it, and just using a sectional will be a chore!

Breezy (this is what it looks like finished, it had just landed):

breezy.jpg

Alex.

Do it if you can is my advice.....unless its really cold out, you wont even notice the cold. The fresh air is awsome.

Did an barrel roll in a Waco once.... Thought I was gonna die. Other than that, it was awesome :)

I love open cockpits, anywhere from a biplane to a Breezy. It's not really practical, but that's not what it's about. I read an article about an IFR equipped Waco. That would blow my mind.

The two open cockpit airplanes I am farmilier with are the Stearman and Aircam.
I would love to have an Aircam. They're just so dang expensive though, at nearly $100,000 for the kit with engines.

My first open-cockpit experience was in a Farrington Twinstarr gyroplane. It's a load of fun, and the visibility is great with the open cockpit and near-invisible spinning rotor.

Twinstarr%20side%20small%20copy.gif

A google image search turned up the actual aircraft I rode in. I guess there's not that many of them.

Some of my most favorite flights were in open cockpit aircraft....Even the time I did the test flight of a Starduster Too after it's annual in February.

A starduster, a cub with the doors open, or a Stearman is where it's at, thats real flying!

What about the radio? Does all the wind affect how well your voice carries? Or does the windscreen block most of that out?

The closest thing to an open cockpit I've flown is my 140 with both windows open (which I love and do frequently in the summer), but I've hung from the strut of a 182 many times in my quest to become a skydiver, and I love it. The feeling of being completely exposed to the wind is amazing. It's so free. It makes the whole experience seem more "real," as though I'm more connected to mother nature. I think of it as flying in the purest sense of the word. Just me, the wind, and the sky. No plastic or metal to get in the way. It's kind of like the difference between riding in a compact car and a motorcycle, except many times more intense. Really, it can't be put in to words. A person has to experience it for themselves to know what I'm talking about. Long story short, open cockpits have nothing to do with practical use and everything to do with the experience of *flying* for the sake of flying.

Man I would fork over some cash to get a tailwheel endorsement in a Waco or a Stearman!!

There is a place about 50nm south of me that has a 220hp stearman ($220 an hour too) for rent! They want 20 hours of dual in it before solo though...

I have 3 hours in it anyway. :rolleyes:

On a warm day, I love open cockpit (or open Cub door?) flying.

I love open cockpits, anywhere from a biplane to a Breezy. It's not really practical, but that's not what it's about. I read an article about an IFR equipped Waco. That would blow my mind.

Waco Classic (the makers of the new YMF-5 Waco's) came out and posted a picture of the first model that had EFIS. Pretty cool stuff, but looked strange in the Waco - in a neat way. I will try to find a picture and post here. I believe that since they started building the YMF-5 that a full instrument capability has always been an option. I am not sure that I would be flying hard IFR in a Waco, but it would be cool to shoot an approach to minimums in an open cockpit biplane.

Back