Oops, Wrong Airport .....

This stuff happens easier than we realize. Get to yakking with the guy next to you and focused on the overnight and whoops, you're in DMA when you wanted to land in TUS. On the river visual to DC and forget to do the jog to the left before you go right? You're now short final for runway 15 instead of 19.

I'd never throw stones because I know that on various occasions I could have been one of those guys.

This stuff happens easier than we realize. Get to yakking with the guy next to you and focused on the overnight and whoops, you're in DMA when you wanted to land in TUS. On the river visual to DC and forget to do the jog to the left before you go right? You're now short final for runway 15 instead of 19.

I'd never throw stones because I know that on various occasions I could have been one of those guys.

Working EWR and TEB finals combined and that random Citation landing EWR gets all uppity when you clear him for the ILS 19 at TEB...

Working EWR and TEB finals combined and that random Citation landing EWR gets all uppity when you clear him for the ILS 19 at TEB...

As slow as he is in a citation he has no room to talk. If his mouth is moving then his airplane isn't moving fast enough :p

(And yes, I was a slowtation driver going into TEB three times a day)

"190 to the marker and contact tower....see ya!"

Knock on wood...but I really can't see how you do this. Back up the runway you're landing on with your instrumentation and this can't really happen. I say this as someone who has unabashedly started to line up on the wrong piece of pavement until I've noticed that "hey, the loc isn't coming in, sonovobitch that's the right!" If you set yourself up right and look at your instruments as you get close I feel like it'd be really tough to do this.

Again, knock on wood, not to say that I couldn't make this mistake...but this is a lot more preventable than say, an altitude bust.
I almost did it too at the same airport but my FO caught it WELL before it developed into anything.

In Ol' Denver, the north-south runway at the former Lowry AFB was aligned with 17L,R/35R,L runways at (the former) Stapleton International. History, (or myth) says that several inbound flights from the south landed short at Lowry over time.

I almost got lost landing in Manassas first time. We were kept high for a while and then dropped through a layer with subsequent "airport at your one o'clock one mile" which I took for "one zero miles" I guess since there was an airport at my one o'clock and about that. It was also hazy and the guy in the left seat wasn't doing much. Checked in with the tower, she gave me a heading to fly to join the right base and at that point bells went off since that heading would put me on like a seven mile base to the airport in front of me. So I just asked her to verify my location - and there I was, almost over the numbers of the runway I was supposed to be landing on.
Considering there was a double "Ooooh!" I wasn't the only one starring at the wrong field. Still, definitely woke me up.

I did my Metro type ride at KRAP with a Fed. I figured if I didn't land at the wrong airport, I would pass. I was right.

They seem to bring you in high here, a lot, which has been a contributing factor to just about every one of these incidents.

I don't even *have* VFR charts.

Don't you know you can get that Foreplay software on that ipod laptop of yours and have all the VFR as well as whatchamacallit everything else there? Even shows your exact location on the chart pretty darn accurately.

Back