online/e log books

You will have a career that will last 10, 20, 30 years or more. Do you really think that one of these logbook websites will still be around then?
That's an important consideration - which is why my primary e-log sits on my computer at home.

But so far, e-logs haven't replaced paper logs completely and, to the extent that you use a online e-log, it's a reason to go with one that lets you download it into an Excel-compatible file. The periodically automatically emailed flightlogg.in is one reason why it's pretty good. It doesn't have to be around then. The data is yours.

I am partial to Logbook Pro . I have been using it for years and support it. It is very stable, you never get locked out of your data, and there are no recurring fees. You can export your data out anytime as the program never expires. You can even export to Excel if you decide you don't like years down the road. Most other programs lock you into their program.

Logbook Pro also has man reports you can run and you can even print your report out a customizable Jepp format and have it bound in their leather binders. Very nice for interviews.

:yeahthat: I use LB Pro as well. I just love all the features and different reports it can do. And like Bandit Driver said, you can print your custom reports and it looks VERY professional for interviews. Plus, it's a one time fee. Go to their website and just download the free trial and check it out. I think you get the first 50 entries free or something.

As of now i don't have any intent to switch from paper; (I love my logbook. I like to pick it up and read it like a history book) but I have a question, how do instructors sign students E-log books.
Is it even possible or needed?

I have an Excel file that is my primary log, but I also have an old Jepp book that I used before I started the electronic log.

I use my Jepp logbook for entries that need signatures. I log the flight in my electronic, and if anyone needs to see a signature, it's in the Jepp.

As of now i don't have any intent to switch from paper; (I love my logbook. I like to pick it up and read it like a history book) but I have a question, how do instructors sign students E-log books.

It's not possible. You have to have the physical endorsement. An electronic logbook is just a backup.

As Jake indicated, so far, anyway, the FAA has not set standards for electronic signatures for logbooks. There's probably some halfway decent legal argument that you can do it anyway (because of the federal ESIGN law) but until the FAA sets standards on what's acceptable, I continue to maintain my paper log and treat my e-log as a backup.

Safelog, and I am sure Logbook Pro, allow you to scan endorsements, etc... and attach them to specific logs. If I need an IPC or something, that is what I plan to do. I abandoned the paper logbook and can't be happier. I have my flightlogg.in emailed to my Gmail account, which has plenty of storage.

Wow...didn't mean to start brush fire....:). Thanks for the info. I need a new one I want to start one with a turbine, CFII, and a Cirrus category.

Wow...didn't mean to start brush fire....:). Thanks for the info. I need a new one I want to start one with a turbine, CFII, and a Cirrus category.
The beauty with a eLog is that you don't need to start one with, say a separate turbine or Cirrus category. A good elog will allow you pull totals for every different category, class, make and model you want.

Want to know how much time I had in 2006 in actual IMC at night in high performance complex singles manufactured by Cessna? Give me about 2 minutes and I can tell you.

Most of the online one don't get quite that sophisticated and not all commercial programs may allow that amount of drill down to the data but even something as simple as flightlogg.in will be able to give you make/model, complex, high performance, tailwheel, and turbine totals pretty easily (the way flightlogg.in approaches the complex, high performance, etc issue is one of the things I like about it - very simple and very customizable)

Try the free demo of Logbook Pro...The analyzer function makes filling out airline and insurance apps a breeze as well as 8710.

Click on the link below...

Back