Online Courses?

av8r

I have 2 questions to throw out there for discussion/opinion.

#1) I've noticed that a couple of dispatcher schools offer online courses. For example, Universal Weather offers a 4 month online course, followed by 2 weeks of on-site training in Houston. What's your opinion of a split course like that? Wouldn't a full 5-6 weeks on-site be preferable? Seems like an online course wouldn't be as effective as sitting in an actual classroom where you can ask questions and get immediate answers. Perhaps it depends on the person and how much he/she puts into the online course. Any thoughts?

#2) Has anyone heard anything about the dispatcher program at Jeppesen Academy in Denver?

Well the only way I would do an on-line course is if I had previous experience in some aspect of the course. Other than that I would attend. Besides I hate self study courses so I know I would fail.

As far as the Jepessen course, from what I know it is very good and well respected in the work place so I don't think that would be an issue. I think it would come down to how you feel about it.

F9DXER

I suppose success in an online course could vary from one person to the next. I just completed a 2 yr online degree through Embry-Riddle so I'm a bit accustomed to online courses and did very well in them.

I was just researching Sheffield and see that they have online courses as well. Looks pretty good from what I've read. They require students to pass the ADX before they will allow you to enroll in phase I of their online course. They make it very plain and clear that it isn't a simple course. In fact, I think one of their online documents states "Slackers need not apply." :) Once the ADX is complete a student enters into Phase I. If I understand correctly, Phase I takes 2-4 months of online study and then you attend 5 days of training in Florida (Phase II) where you review and take the FAA oral & practical exams. This is enticing since I am clear across the US. An online course saves quite a bit of $$ considering you don't have the expense of lodging and meals for 6 weeks. I realize that cutting cost isn't always the best policy...but sure is helpful. I wouldn't trust just any online program, but Sheffield seems to have a good reputation for training individuals for the job.

I suppose success in an online course could vary from one person to the next. I just completed a 2 yr online degree through Embry-Riddle so I'm a bit accustomed to online courses and did very well in them.

I was just researching Sheffield and see that they have online courses as well. Looks pretty good from what I've read. They require students to pass the ADX before they will allow you to enroll in phase I of their online course. They make it very plain and clear that it isn't a simple course. In fact, I think one of their online documents states "Slackers need not apply." :) Once the ADX is complete a student enters into Phase I. If I understand correctly, Phase I takes 2-4 months of online study and then you attend 5 days of training in Florida (Phase II) where you review and take the FAA oral & practical exams. This is enticing since I am clear across the US. An online course saves quite a bit of $$ considering you don't have the expense of lodging and meals for 6 weeks. I realize that cutting cost isn't always the best policy...but sure is helpful. I wouldn't trust just any online program, but Sheffield seems to have a good reputation for training individuals for the job.

Having been to Sheffield myself, I would say that the "slackers need not apply" is good advice for ANY of their courses. I'm not specifically endorsing Sheffield here though. I think (in general) an in-person course is best if you have the time and resources for one...but if you don't, and you find an online course that looks good to you and the school seems reputable...go ahead and take the plunge!

Agree with Manniax. I did Sheffield's distance course, and busted my butt working a full time job, studying and preparing. Well worth it however.

lwaldeck...if you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to pass the ADX exam and complete the online course? Did you have prior aviation experience before taking the course? How much time did you devote to the course each day (on average)? Did you feel prepared for the FAA exams when you arrived on-site?

I would be working full-time while completing the course too. I'm getting pretty excited to jump into it though. Sorry for peppering you with questions. I value your input though! :)

av8r,

Thanks for asking these questions, I'm in Minneapolis looking for the same thing. Being a commercial pilot and experienced every operation except the heavy metal, I don't want to spend money to do a several month long in-person course but think I could benefit from a self taught online gig, maybe go to denver and hang with a buddy of mine and do that.

I hear ya MNFlyboy. While I do believe that attending a dispatcher course in person would be ideal, sometimes it isn't always easy to get there. I'm tucked away in the Northwest and there isn't a lot of aviation stuff around here. Financially, it would be difficult to quit my job, move somewhere for a 5-6 week course, and then hope I land a job fresh out of training so I can pay the bills (not to mention I have a wife to think about too). For this reason, an online course is pretty much ideal for me. I realize that online courses aren't for everyone and often take an extra measure of time, determination and focus. Good luck to you.
:beer:

lwaldeck...if you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to pass the ADX exam and complete the online course? Did you have prior aviation experience before taking the course? How much time did you devote to the course each day (on average)? Did you feel prepared for the FAA exams when you arrived on-site?

I would be working full-time while completing the course too. I'm getting pretty excited to jump into it though. Sorry for peppering you with questions. I value your input though! :)

I took 3 months and basically studied each night (2-3 hours) preparing myself for the ADX written. I had zero formal aviation experience prior, but had a good understanding of most aspects however from other arenas.

Since I attended Sheffield, they require passing the ADX written prior to starting the online portion of the course. Once that was passed, the online portion was about 2 months long if I recall correctly. Then 1-2 weeks in class to finish and complete the oral exam.

I won't push any school, but am very confident in the education I received. I was never handed an answer, just given helpful hints along the way to get there myself. It's all about the individual. I had no prior experience and did fairly well getting my ticket. I can't say the same for others.

I did the online course exactly for the reasons you list. Already had a good job, and couldn't take 6 weeks away. And don't worry about the questions...I had plenty as well when I started looking into it.

I am a dispatcher and also work at a dispatch school, and word I get from the FAA is that they are trying to do away with online courses and shortened courses...Don't know if thats right, but the word from the PHX FSDO.

I am a dispatcher and also work at a dispatch school, and word I get from the FAA is that they are trying to do away with online courses and shortened courses...Don't know if thats right, but the word from the PHX FSDO.

Is this something the FAA has been discussing for a while now....or is it a new topic of discussion? I've heard that the FAA doesn't move their feet very quickly...so abolishing an online course could take years, right?

Is this something the FAA has been discussing for a while now....or is it a new topic of discussion? I've heard that the FAA doesn't move their feet very quickly...so abolishing an online course could take years, right?

Years or hours.

Well I can tell you that our school used to run the shortened courses, and we were talking about an online course and the FAA in PHX that overlooks us pulled the plug all ready...I think it is still legal to do, but the owners are trying to comply with the FAA demands right now. The FAA is getting worse and worse with the schools, they won't let you have an inhouse Dispatch Examiner, just ask Sheffield.

Hopefully it's not too high on the FAA's priority list...online courses seem like a great option for those of us who can't take 1-2 months off of work for classroom based training.

I know what you mean, not only is it beneficial to you, but also a good business idea as well, since you are saving in instructor pay. I really don't get it if you have motivated people who can focus at home and prepare them selves with online tools provided to pass the written before coming for 2 weeks, then it should be a given. I am not sure how high on the priority list it is, but I know in PHX we have it all ready, and I hear they are trying to work on Sheffield currently on a few things.

Online Courses & in-house examiners

Regarding distance-learning/online courses & in-house examiners, there appears to be no uniformity or consistency in anything schools or others have heard. We are conducting our operations as we always have.

Eric Morris
Sheffield School of Aeronautics

Just the word I get from our FAA folks....I wasn't sure if true or not, so just his word. I have heard good things about Sheffield, other then his word of mouth.

Back