One of those days...

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
So I run out of deoderant, but have just enough to lightly spritz myself enough to make the airport and purchase some from the airport.

I rush downstairs, already five minutes late for pick up and there is a bevy of tourists downstairs clogging the escalator.

Crap!

Run outside to find the captain or the shuttle to the airport and none's to be found. Run back inside, sort thru the masses of people to look for my captain to no avail.

Gack!

Perhaps he's missed pick up too? So I dig in my pocket for the hotel key envelope that I write the pickup time on and the captain's room number in case I need to reach him.

Funny, it says "1330 p/u" (1:30 pick up)...

Wait...

it's 12:35...

I walk over to the gift shop in the hotel, spend $6.35 on some Right Guard and head upstairs to the crew room to "de odorize" myself, drink some coffee and read the New York Times. No one's in the crew room so I figure I'd unbutton my shirt and just apply the Right Guard in the crew room.

Ouch ouch ouch, man, this is rough stuff! Argh! The cap's still on, then in my frustration, I spill my freshly poured coffee onto my paper.

Anyone care to ride on my airplane today?
smile.gif

So that was you I heard going in to CVG this morning ... "uhh, we're not gonna make OBBAN at 11, Indy ..."

j/k ... since you're still in the crew room!
cool.gif

FL270

...and then it gets even \"better\"...

So I finally show up at 1330 for our actual pickup and get to the airport.

Well, there's weather in ATL so our 1530 departure becomes a 1800 departure, but we're out of gates, so we elect to push back at 1715 and sit in the hold bay until our wheels up time.

ATL is 1/4 mile in fog and 100 overcast.

But since it's category II weather, a lot of the regional jets aren't out so we're able to do a Cat II with an autoland without having to hold.

Taxi into the gate, quite late, and already after our flight to Charlotte is supposed to depart so I know we're going to get re-routed. After deplaning, I figure I'd hit the lavoratory and I cut a big gash in my hand on a jagged part of the door.

Ouch! Not much bleeding and not worth the trouble of doing all the OJI stuff because I was able to get it cauterized quite nicely.

So our reroute? Well, we're going to sit 3 hours and 46 minutes in the crew lounge and depart to LGA to layover and then deadhead back to DFW. Low and behold, we're going to be arriving just as the snow storm hits the NYC area.

I guess the one good thing is that we're laying over close to the airport so I'll try to hop on a 0600 flight from LGA-CVG-PHX and be home a little after 10am PHX time and skip the deadhead altogether.

Re: ...and then it gets even \"better\"...

Yup, my captain is a reserve guy so I think I keep getting the shaft because of him!
smile.gif

Speaking of crap weather here in ATL, I guess these poor guys had an even worse day:

At least 2 dead in Coweta County plane crash

By SAEED AHMED
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

At least two people are confirmed dead in a plane crash in unincorporated Coweta County, authorities said Thursday night.

The twin-engine turboprop plane was on its way from Douglas County to the Newnan Coweta County Airport when it went down in the 1000 block of Martin Mill Road in Moreland about 7:55 p.m., said Coweta County Sheriff Mike Yeager.

Yeager said Federal Aviation Administraion offficials lost track of the plane about 1,000 feet in the air.

The sheriff did not know exactly how many people were on board at the time. The plane, a Beechcraft King Air, can hold a up to 14 people, including the pilot and copilot.

"There is debris spread over a wide area and all we see is a big ball of fire," Yeager said soon after reaching the scene.

Buzz Weiss, a spokesman for the Georgia Emergency Management Agency, said workers with the Georgia Forestry Commission had to chainsaw through the heavily wooded area to get to additional vicitims.

According to the FAA charts that pilots use to land at a particular airport, the visibility required to land at the Coweta airport is at least one mile and a cloud ceiling of 400 feet or higher from the ground.

According to the nearest weather station, Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, the visibility at 9 p.m. in the area was 1/4th of a mile and the cloud ceiling was 100 feet with drizzle and fog.

The plane, manufactured in 1980, was registered to a corporaation in Wilmington, Del., according to aircraft registration records. Yeager, however, said the plane was based out of the Coweta airport.

Many planes in the state are registered to corporations set up in Delaware to avoid Georgia state and ad valorem taxes.

geez, and for the reporters to have names like "Buzz" and "Yeager" just gives me the creeps.

I'd like to see the King Air 200 that is configured for 14! What is it, a cat-pass? No corporate job I know of seats more than 10.

Sorrygottarunway....hey what is the deal with you screenname? What does it mean? How'd you think it up?

Everett

Okay...Doug what city did all this all take place in?

I take it that you were in route to ATL where the weather was occuring but where was your 1800 dep. from what airport?

Matthew

formerly Zen~Aku

I flew out of John Wayne this morning with pretty much 0/0 takeoff. The weather was 1/16th of a mile visibility, and 100 feet indefinete ceiling. The RVR was only 1000 then up to 1400 then back to 1000 then back to 1400 then 1600. We kept having to hold with all the carriers then finally took off.
Coming back in we got a 30 minute hold because the weather got good enough for the carriers to come in and man, they were going in back to back to back to back. We finally got vectors to final and he pulled me off again and gave me another hold. I finally told him I was critical fuel (which I was) and got vectored 8 minutes later. It was a great day for me though!

[ QUOTE ]
I flew out of John Wayne this morning with pretty much 0/0 takeoff. The weather was 1/16th of a mile visibility, and 100 feet indefinete ceiling. The RVR was only 1000 then up to 1400 then back to 1000 then back to 1400 then 1600. We kept having to hold with all the carriers then finally took off.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can I ask what equipment you were flying? And what was the flight mission?

Ha, bad day? Yeah right! I got you all beat. I had one of those weird people called females, tell me she was "emotionally unavailable" today! Ha, yep I win! Hands down. Thanks for playing!
grin.gif

emotionally unavailable??? ohhhh i hate when women tell me that.... haha

what exactly does that mean anyway? I've never used it (hmmmm maybe i oughta?) like "I'm PMSing, don't talk to me" or "just don't talk to me - like ever"....????
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
emotionally unavailable??? ohhhh i hate when women tell me that.... haha

what exactly does that mean anyway? I've never used it (hmmmm maybe i oughta?) like "I'm PMSing, don't talk to me" or "just don't talk to me - like ever"....????
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now Kristie...why are women telling you that there emotionally unavailable? What's that about?
tongue.gif

Matthew

formerly Zen~Aku

"So I finally show up at 1330 for our actual pickup and get to the airport....our 1530 departure...."

What I want to know is why you have a 1330 hotel show for a 1530 departure. Does it take an hour to get to the airport? Either that, or your Captain is way too much of a company man......

Hey, what are you complaining about?

It'd be sweet if a gal's emotion takes a vacation. Girls can be so roller-coastery, drives me nuts.

This would be far worse: "I'm physically unavailable..."
grin.gif

Right now 051200 the weather in ATL is 24003kt 1/4sm
R09/3000V6000FT Fog OVC 001 03/03. SFC Vis is 1/2.

And thats good compared to yesterday as Doug mentioned. It really sucked earlier in the day.

[ QUOTE ]
What I want to know is why you have a 1330 hotel show for a 1530 departure. Does it take an hour to get to the airport? Either that, or your Captain is way too much of a company man......

[/ QUOTE ]

We layover off Broadway in Manhattan near times square, but we were departing EWR (on a short layover even). Actually, the station manager sets hotel pickup time and it takes an act of congress to get it changed. Normally, if we know it's not going to take very long to the airport, the captain will override it and set his own (yes!!) but I don't know jack about traffic in the city.

The worst part is, is getting into the van a little after midnight and then shuttling to manhattan. Ouch.

Actually, flights will probably run on time because all of the category-I RJ's are sitting in MGM now!
smile.gif

I finally got to the hotel last night about 0200, got up at 0430 for an 0500 ride to LGA to hop on a LGA-CVG-PHX flight home.

I'm "deviating from deadhead" so I'm off duty and free on my own recognisance.

Aww, gotta love these 800x600 resolution screens in the CVG crew lounge... Not!

Back