One Month and......

F9DXER

another “competitive” marching band season is over. Why such a big deal? For 8 years I have put 3 kids through our high schools marching band program. A few thousand of dollars, fund raisers and countless volunteer hours are coming down to an end. Was it worth it, every penny and then some!
For those of you that thought marching band was for the non-athletic type, way back when you were probably correct, but not anymore. The physical stamina, the attention to detail and the willingness to abuse oneself for the ultimate goal puts many amateur and maybe some professional sports teams to shame.
My kids were basically gone 15-20 hours a week in any weather from early June to mid November. On top of that they each had to hold down a part-time job (I required it if they wanted to drive.) and then toss school and homework into that and BUSY didn’t even begin to describe it
They would come back mad as hell at the instructors, sunburned, bug –bitten and even sopping wet and muddy - all in one day. Yet they would get up the next day and do it all again.
The values and lessons they learned I don’t think I could have taught them nearly as well, but as a parent I supported them in the choices they made and comforted them when life forgot to play fair.
Competitions were held every Saturday, from September onward. Sometimes they would have 2 sites to compete at. If that was so and depending on the distance, they would be gone in the morning and not be home till after midnight.
So in 2 weeks, my last kid will play in her last state marching band championships. If they win, it will be schools 9th title in 10 years. Then 2 weeks after that they will try and defend their National Title at the Bands of America Grand National Championships. They won the national championships in 08 and 09.
If you have the chance to go to one of these events I highly recommend it. If you can’t, you can see a lot of the performances on YouTube. It just might change your mind on why the ARTS should be left in school. More info can be found at www.marching.com or www.musicforall.org.
Why did I writing this? I guess for no other reason than being a proud parent. I also know that when my last kid leaves the nest, besides a “4-Sale” sign going out on the front lawn :D, that I did everything I could to prepare them for the real world. I can’t do any more than that.

another “competitive” marching band season is over. Why such a big deal? For 8 years I have put 3 kids through our high schools marching band program. A few thousand of dollars, fund raisers and countless volunteer hours are coming down to an end. Was it worth it, every penny and then some!
For those of you that thought marching band was for the non-athletic type, way back when you were probably correct, but not anymore. The physical stamina, the attention to detail and the willingness to abuse oneself for the ultimate goal puts many amateur and maybe some professional sports teams to shame.
My kids were basically gone 15-20 hours a week in any weather from early June to mid November. On top of that they each had to hold down a part-time job (I required it if they wanted to drive.) and then toss school and homework into that and BUSY didn’t even begin to describe it
They would come back mad as hell at the instructors, sunburned, bug –bitten and even sopping wet and muddy - all in one day. Yet they would get up the next day and do it all again.
The values and lessons they learned I don’t think I could have taught them nearly as well, but as a parent I supported them in the choices they made and comforted them when life forgot to play fair.
Competitions were held every Saturday, from September onward. Sometimes they would have 2 sites to compete at. If that was so and depending on the distance, they would be gone in the morning and not be home till after midnight.
So in 2 weeks, my last kid will play in her last state marching band championships. If they win, it will be schools 9th title in 10 years. Then 2 weeks after that they will try and defend their National Title at the Bands of America Grand National Championships. They won the national championships in 08 and 09.
If you have the chance to go to one of these events I highly recommend it. If you can’t, you can see a lot of the performances on YouTube. It just might change your mind on why the ARTS should be left in school. More info can be found at www.marching.com or www.musicforall.org.
Why did I writing this? I guess for no other reason than being a proud parent. I also know that when my last kid leaves the nest, besides a “4-Sale” sign going out on the front lawn :D, that I did everything I could to prepare them for the real world. I can’t do any more than that.

Where do your kids go to school?

My daughter is only 16 months, but I love your requirement for a part time job in order to drive...totally using that!

Congrats to your kids for their hard work and great job supporting them! I played hockey in Jr. High and Highschool, and never felt like I got a lot of support from my parents (never at games, etc..) So I know how great your kids must feel knowing their dad supported them.

I remember my high school having a pretty good band that won state a few times...Jenison HS in Jenison, MI.

My daughter is only 16 months, but I love your requirement for a part time job in order to drive...totally using that!

Before they went and received their drivers license, I took them to the insurance company and had them quote to my kids how much it would cost once they were able to legally drive, how much a good student discount was, and anything else the insurance folks felt they needed to know. That way they could see the cost of their actions or in-actions. It came out to roughly $30/month, but I was there every month to collect. Sometimes they complained it was not fair and then I'd just ask for my car key and their license back and that pretty much shut them up.

My old high school's season ends soon too. I think States are in a few weeks, held at my high school (wish home field advantage played into this! ;) )

They are a compeitive band that has received straight 1's at States for nearly 30yrs and usually wins all their competitions. I don't know what the Indiana grading scale is for competitions, but I competed in OMEA (Ohio) competitions. We started getting into BOA during my senior year but it wasn't our style so we didn't go too far, however I guess they're doing pretty well in BOA regionals since I've graduated. We were pretty much just precision marching and a wall of sound (don't forget the drumline!).... but that's how OMEA rolls. :)

Avon is one hell of a program, what with Jeff Queen teaching the drumline there.

No kidding J. Blew my mind every time we saw them. :bandit:

Your kids are lucky they are in such a good program! I've definitely learned so many lessons through the challenges and hard work competitive bands demand. I wish them luck in their State Finals and BOA Championships!

Thanks guys.

It took them a long time to get there. The director basically started with the drumline and once he had them up to speed and winning titles the rest of the band was like "we can do that as well."

Now the students are the ones carrying on. They don't want to be the ones to lose. They all found out it is easier to reach the top then to stay on top.

Competitive marching band??? Really???

Music and band used to be an elective class, at least where I went to school. Now it's a competitive extracurricular activity. Is there anything about high school anymore that is just about doing something you enjoy, and not worrying about being better at it than somebody else?

I was in competitive marching band when I was in high school. It was so fun and it gave us a sense of working hard to be a part of something special. It was the only thing I can remember that gave me a sense that I could be excellent at something. Because of band I believed I could achieve anything I put my mind, and then many hours and days of hard work to.

Why rain on this guys parade anyway? Just be happy for him and his children's accomplishments.

Trust me it isn't going to bother me!

By the way - the won their 9th state title last night!

I wasn't allowed to tape the finals but do have a copy of one of their previous shows, and if I ever figure out how to upload it to youtube Ill post a link.

This was there last practice before Grand Nationals competition starts.

As you can tell they practice at night but what it doesn't show is that it is after 9pm

Not the same without the uniforms. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuB3Mlws7FU

[video=youtube;nuB3Mlws7FU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuB3Mlws7FU[/video]

Marching Band!
I was in one in high school, but I never knew they competed. We were pretty small, e.g. I was the only trombone.

Good video. The sound is actually pretty good on that thing.

I am not a band geek, but both of my younger brothers are (plus a lot of my better friends), and let me tell you...it's a vigil.

I'm fond of saying that the bands exist to support the athletic programs...that was originally true but they are DEFINITELY athletic programs in their own right these days.

Music and band used to be an elective class, at least where I went to school. Now it's a competitive extracurricular activity. Is there anything about high school anymore that is just about doing something you enjoy, and not worrying about being better at it than somebody else?
No. If you think the PFT/PFJ thing in the airlines is bad/tripping over/stabbing your fellow pilot/whipsawing/... you should see the backstabbing stampede that is the college admissions process.

Competitive marching band??? Really???

... because 'just doing something you enjoy' misses the point of education. There needs to be a goal to galvanize the effort required to spend that much time training and practicing to create something like that.

I was in the marching band all through high school, and it taught me the value of things like team work, esprit d'corps, responsibility to something greater than myself, self-discipline, leadership, and even things like diplomacy and civility towards a rival. We all knew that missing a rehearsal made life harder for all of our friends. We all knew that we each had a part to play and every part was important because somebody else cued off what you did.

I was no athlete in high school, but we took the field every game, under the 'Friday Night Lights' and heard the roar of packed stadium and heard them applaud us. It sure as hell didn't hurt my self esteem. Even as a young, amateur musician, to play for a 'packed stadium' is something most will never do. Even then, the Friday night game performances were just rehearsals for the UIL and invitational competitions we entered.

Marching bands don't really compete against individuals. We realized that we had competition, and that we had to turn out better scores to advance. That said, it wasn't about beating them, because nothing we did could directly influence them. It was simply about being the very, very best we could be and seeing how far we could push the limit.

Marching band was awesome.

Congrats F9!

My school doesn't have a marching band :( I'm not sure what the size of most schools that have them is? We have around 2000 kids....Concert and Jazz bands for me I guess.

Well to give you all a little more info on how my kids day went that Saturday. She had to be at the school before 9am, for a teenager that is almost a death sentence. They had a 2 hour practice, then had lunch, loaded the trucks, drove to the stadium, unload, physical warm-up, line up to perform.
They performed at 2:30pm or 2:45pm, then reloaded the trucks, back to the school arriving around 4:30 for a little break- waiting to find out if they made the finals and then at what time. They did and their finals performance was at 9:30 pm. So around 7pm they were back on the bus and after all was done it was almost 2am before they were done.
BOA Grand Nationals is considered the Olympic Event for high school marching bands. 90+ bands from 19 states came to perform in 4 different classes. Of which the 12 highest scores get to compete for the National Title. It is not always the biggest bands that win.

The following bands made it –

FL – Tarpon Springs HS
GA – Kennesaw Mountain HS
IL – Marian Catholic HS
IN - Avon HS, Carmel HS, Center Grove HS and Lawrence Central HS
OK – Broken Arrow HS and Union HS
TX – Cedar Park HS, LD Bell HS and Stephan F Austin HS

Bourbon County HS from KY was the Class A winner but didn’t make the finals so they performed an “Encore” performance.

When one breaks down what these kids need to know simply boggles the mind. From ones starting point on the field they have to remember, when do I move, which foot, which direction, how far apart are my feet suppose to be, am I holding my instrument correctly, am I in line with the other members, am I playing to loud, to soft, is anyone behind me, is my body posture correct, are my movements and music going to arrive at each spot at the same time, etc, etc, etc. This goes on and on for the length of the show which is approximately 10 minutes. Also remember the music has to be memorized, no sheet music allowed. The maturity, skill and poise these kids show is simply amazing.
Marian Catholic HS has been to the finals 27 times, while Cedar Park was in the finals for their first time. So toss all the human emotions that would come with doing a performance in a 65K seat stadium (Yes the used Lucas Oil Stadium) and then playing before a crowd of about 15k fans. When your school is announced and your band marches on to the field, knowing that 6 months of practice now comes down to this performance - I’m guessing being nervous doesn’t begin to describe that feeling.
Where there mistakes, yes, rifles dropped, students tripped or fell, one was with a tuba, but they picked themselves up and continued with what they needed to do.
They award ceremony for these kids is just inspiring to watch. All the bands are led out on the field and it is done almost in Olympic style. Whether ones band placed last or first each and every one of them earned that right to be there.
I have never done anything like what my kids have done while they were in marching band and I probably never will. When I ask them to describe that feeling, they just tell me it is almost impossible to do unless you have been there. I have to agree.
I have always told my kids there is a price to pay for what you believe, value, and want out of life. Sometimes one will find the cost more than what one wants to pay and that they will have to determine if it was worth it. Well when I watched her walk off the field that night and I saw the joy in her eyes I knew right then that that feeling had no price.

Back