Omi Air International

nyk

I was wondering if anyone knows information about this company...
Is it 121 operator? etc etc
Any information on them would be great....

I was wondering if anyone knows information about this company...
Is it 121 operator? etc etc
Any information on them would be great....
Omni Air is a 121 Supplemental Carrier. I know they have had some DC-10s and I know they got 777s. Last I knew they didn't have ETOPS authorization for them, so they do short hops. I know they are based in Tulsa, Oklahoma and primarily do military movements. Other than that, no clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a friend used to work there - don't know a lot about their operation though. He did seem happy with the place for the most part if that is any help.

i wonder if they have agreements via CASS approved airlines. Im from the east coast and wouldnt have to be disconnected from that if they didnt offer me a way home.

Thanks for the info guys !

i wonder if they have agreements via CASS approved airlines. Im from the east coast and wouldnt have to be disconnected from that if they didnt offer me a way home.
I believe they are an approved CASS carrier. Too bad most of the flights are not non-stops---whatever gets ya home though. Definitely go for it and try and research them online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omni laid dispatchers off last year. They downsized the number of dispatchers. Starting pay is around $18/hour. I dont remember what the schedule was but it from what I was told it was pretty good for commuting. I would advise against any company like them that has a lot of military contracts. Military contracts are drying up and forcing many supplementals to either significantly downsize or go out of business. The international experience can be very good but if you get furloughed you may be stuck looking for the first job you can find. Until the dust settles with military contracts, I would be very careful in choosing which supplemental to go to if any.

To add what @Flagship_dxer said, BE VERY CAREFUL about the supplementals right now. Give it another 6 months to 1 year, the supplemental picture could look a different than it does now. The only way that supplementals survive and become profitable is with lucrative contracts, especially military flying.

Here's some info about Omni (OAI). 9 planes total: 2 B762s, 5 B763s, & 2 B777s. All aircraft are 180 ETOPS, and I believe OAI is working on 207 ETOPS for the B777s. Starting pay for their DXers is around $18/hr for people with experience, $15-16 for people with no experience. Their SOC Ops Controllers make about $40000/yr. They use the excuse that because they are TUL, and low cost of living, they are justified with the low wages.

Yes, they are in CASS, but check with their policies about listing on AMC flights. Just because they are in CASS, and they have reciprocal agreements with your airline, doesn't mean you can ride on the jumpseat. The AMC dictates who can/cannot fly on the aircraft (if operating a live leg).

I have never worked for a supplemental so forgive my ignorance...but what is an AMC flight?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

121 Supplemental's are always a crap shoot. In 12 years I worked for 4 of them. 2 are out of business. 1 lost half its business and serious cuts followed. The last was just pure hell working there. Yes you get some great experience. I wouldn't plan on staying at one long term. Yes they may be in CASS but more likely you will be at the bottom of the list to get on. If you plan on flying in and out of an airlines crew base....good luck.

It would be great international experience though i believe and nothing long term from what im getting out of these posts

Like others have said 121 supps are a crap shoot. Now that military flying is being pulled back places like Omni are risky at best. That was their bread and butter. My friend was a flying mechanic for them during the height of the Iraq war but he quit and moved on and now the flying has been pulled back due to drawback of troops. He is with me at FX now. He said was a good place to work treated him well pay was so so .. Hopefully they have the work to keep it going

It is risky, but I'm glad I went that route for the experience I gained at RIA before they shut the doors. I'm at another 121 Supp now but we don't rely on military contracts for revenue. Just do diligent research on the airlines you are interested in. I would avoid any Supp airline that gets the majority of their revenue from DOD contracts, as many others have said. But then again, even if you only got a year under your belt at a Supp airline, the experience is priceless. Best of luck to you!

Thanks all for the input and advise
Its just frustrating waiting for the majors to get back to me
Im in the boat with those waiting to hear from AA
I also put in for United with the Assistant Dispatcher position ( ive got two yrs of regional experience though )
This industry isnt the fastest and im not patient by any means lol

I'm got many many years playing the Supplemental game, what everyone mentioned is spot on. I interviewed with Omni many years ago (90's) when they were flying DC10's. Tulsa just really turned me off, at the time I was living in South Florida so wasn't seeing making the move.

Thanks all for the input and advise
Its just frustrating waiting for the majors to get back to me
Im in the boat with those waiting to hear from AA
I also put in for United with the Assistant Dispatcher position ( ive got two yrs of regional experience though )
This industry isnt the fastest and im not patient by any means lol
Hold in there. I thought my call would never (with over 5 years exp.) come and now I'm here.

Some just get in faster than others.

Coming from RIA and now the last breaths of EIA for the last 9 years i can honestly say Supp work is lots of fun. Great DoD contract experiance. Dispatching airplanes through Afghanistan and countless other airbases not on the charts or just new cargo charters means something new all the time. As everyone has stated above AMC flying is going way, way down. The global ecconomy is slow right now and everyone is hurting (World, North American, Evergree, Kalitta, even Atlas to some extent. If it were me I would go for 1 year to Omni and keep looking and applying for major's while you are there. Just my .02 cents and Good Luck.

dxxm747 said:
Coming from RIA and now the last breaths of EIA for the last 9 years i can honestly say Supp work is lots of fun. Great DoD contract experiance. Dispatching airplanes through Afghanistan and countless other airbases not on the charts or just new cargo charters means something new all the time. As everyone has stated above AMC flying is going way, way down. The global ecconomy is slow right now and everyone is hurting (World, North American, Evergree, Kalitta, even Atlas to some extent. If it were me I would go for 1 year to Omni and keep looking and applying for major's while you are there. Just my .02 cents and Good Luck.

I agree...it is loads of fun. I wouldn't trade my time spent at RIA for anything, even if it was short lived. It was always something new each day and a HUGE learning experience for me as a new DX. I absolutely loved it!

Sorry to hear about EIA, dxxm... :(

I agree...it is loads of fun. I wouldn't trade my time spent at RIA for anything, even if it was short lived. It was always something new each day and a HUGE learning experience for me as a new DX. I absolutely loved it!

Sorry to hear about EIA, dxxm... :(

Thanks womanpilot73, it's been a good run. I've been here since 05' and it's been a blast. A few major's are hiring now so maybe I'll get a call back.

One other thing about supp is the work schedule is (in my opinion) better. 4 on 4 off but 12 hour days means lots of free time or even at UPS they get 4 on 3 off 10 hour days. To me that beats 5/2/5/3 8 hour days.

Back