OMG! Scary Landing!

"Oh my god, this one time I was flying and I SWEAR we almost died!"
Thank god that they scream in back...otherwise I'd never know when to flare! :sarcasm:

Good job on their part, going around instead of trying to press their luck, and going elsewhere.

What a bunch of idiots. "The plane was coming in at a right angle." Go back to geometry you mook! And while you're at it, explain to me how any airplane but a Harrier or F-35C can fly at a perfect right angle to its flight path.

But since it's the perfect opportunity, I just have to add: I love flying helicopters!

Looks like a text book GA to me. Why is this even news worthy? Yawn...!

The armchair expert comments below the video are certainly entertaining though.......

Terrifying??? Good grief.

upload_2013-12-6_9-24-36.jpeg

crab1.jpg

But since it's the perfect opportunity, I just have to add: I love flying helicopters!

Just the other day I had to go over to STL to pick up the airplane after the night pilot (quite rightly) decided to land there instead of CPS, due to the winds. Guess how I got there. That's right, BK117. Helos, whirlygigs, choppers, whatever...are sweet.

Although every time I find myself in one, I'm scanning like a maniac looking for stuff to hit. The pilots seem to be mostly amused.

The background "oooh"s really make this video. Also the choice of words, This pilot BATTLING these FIERCE winds. Makes me think of the Simpsons

Holy crap! Airplanes hover now? Where have I been? Stupid ass media. I'm convinced if some pax managed to get a video of a few birds flying within a 100 feet of an airplane prior to take off, it would make the news somehow. With the allowance of portable devices now, we are going to see a lot more passenger stupidity making the news.

Hmmm. No use of rudder and wing low?

Dipping a wing is a good way to rip an engine off. Easiest thing to did is drag it in sideway and kick the rudder at the last minute. It's hard to see in the video but it looks like the rudder is in full left travel though so I'm guessing that's why he decided to go around.

Kai-Tek makes good sexy movie time, GI. But it's certainly not any Tuffer than stuff charter and freight dogs do every day. If they'd had Go-Pro back around 2007 (and if I weren't too cheap a bastard to ever buy one at any price), I could positively scald your eyes. All lost to History, though, that. Maybe for the best!

Kai-Tek makes good sexy movie time, GI. But it's certainly not any Tuffer than stuff charter and freight dogs do every day. If they'd had Go-Pro back around 2007 (and if I weren't too cheap a bastard to ever buy one at any price), I could positively scald your eyes. All lost to History, though, that. Maybe for the best!

Flying all night and landing a heavy in crappy weather at Kai-Tek is impressive, regardless.

Flying all night and landing a heavy in crappy weather at Kai-Tek is impressive, regardless.

No doubt. But if I'd had a camera that one night back in whenever, landing in a hurricane at KPNS, why, I'd be kicking the ad revenue like nobody's bidness. This thread is really about my short-sightedness, isn't it?

Back