okay, i give up... what does RYY stand for???

PFGiardino

I've been flying out of KRYY this week. I can't firgure out what the airport code stands for.

All I know is the field got a tower in '95, which is probably when it got an ICAO code.

Thanks in advance.

-Paul

The ICAO code does not mean anything. Most of the time they are similar to the name of the city or name of the airport, but often times they are just randomly generated.

Can we pretend RYY are the initials of some bad a-- that paved the runway himself?

I know you're right, I just really want it to mean something...

If RYY paved the runways at Mc Collum, he's no bad a--. Anybody else ever feel the divot in the runway landing 27?

The Iowa County Airport in Mineral Point Wisconsin has an identifier of MRJ.

An airport's code doesn't necessarily mean anything.

The ICAO code does not mean anything. Most of the time they are similar to the name of the city or name of the airport, but often times they are just randomly generated.

Except that is not an ICAO code, it's an IATA code. ICAO codes are 4 letter, and may be completely different than the IATA code. For example, Paris De Gaulle is CDG and LFPG, Narita is NRT and RJAA, Hong Kong is HKG or VHHH, etc.

The Iowa County Airport in Mineral Point Wisconsin has an identifier of MRJ.

An airport's code doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Just like Platteville Municipal Airport is KPVB!

I know what you're saying though. Some airports have a "hidden" reason for their identifier...like Chicago O'Hare's KORD.

Except that is not an ICAO code, it's an IATA code. ICAO codes are 4 letter, and may be completely different than the IATA code. For example, Paris De Gaulle is CDG and LFPG, Narita is NRT and RJAA, Hong Kong is HKG or VHHH, etc.
I never knew that, thanks

If RYY paved the runways at Mc Collum, he's no bad a--. Anybody else ever feel the divot in the runway landing 27?

Hmm...I don't recall feeling a divot, though the old surface could be a tad bumpy from the sealer they used to fill some of the cracks. I guess what you may have experienced was the transition where they lengthened the runway a few years ago.

On that note, they did resurface the runway last month and reopened it on 12/3. It is now 6305 x 100 concrete, instead of the asphalt. It still needs to be grooved but that isn't going to happen until the spring from the announcement they made. I went up on the 5th and it is very nice there now.

I'll see if any of the old timers around there know if RYY actually means anything or not. It has been the identifier there for quite a while, much longer than when the control tower was installed.

KRYY

Cry. . .because you're in Cobb County, and may never get a chance to leave.

I swear, that's it.

Oh, yes. I would much rather live in Clayton county with its schools no longer accredited and the hospital is in the process of being closed for lack of and misappropriation of funds or Fulton where the budget is in shambles or Dekalb where politics seems much like Chicago. Yes, live in Fulton where property taxes have absolutely no relevance to actual value. Or Clayton where property values have plummeted due to the school problem.

I especially like the move where in ATL (Fulton) during the drought they told the citizens to cut back on water use which the citizens did.. and then due to reduced revenues, ATL added a surcharge to the water bills and raised rates.

Gotta love it...

I've been flying out of KRYY this week. I can't firgure out what the airport code stands for.

All I know is the field got a tower in '95, which is probably when it got an ICAO code.

Thanks in advance.

-Paul

Sometimes the codes appear arbitrary, but if you dig a little deeper, there might be something more to it.

Orlando International is KMCO. Seems a little off, right?

Not when you realize it used to be a Marine Corps Air Station.

Marine Corps Orlando. MCO. There ya go.

RYY might have a similar history to it.

Sometimes the codes appear arbitrary, but if you dig a little deeper, there might be something more to it.

Orlando International is KMCO. Seems a little off, right?

Not when you realize it used to be a Marine Corps Air Station.

Marine Corps Orlando. MCO. There ya go.

RYY might have a similar history to it.

Ummm, actually Orlando International Airport is situated right where the old McCoy Air Force Base once was. That is how they got that identifier, MCO was the identifier of the air force base.

Oh, yes. I would much rather live in Clayton county with its schools no longer accredited and the hospital is in the process of being closed for lack of and misappropriation of funds or Fulton where the budget is in shambles or Dekalb where politics seems much like Chicago. Yes, live in Fulton where property taxes have absolutely no relevance to actual value. Or Clayton where property values have plummeted due to the school problem.

I especially like the move where in ATL (Fulton) during the drought they told the citizens to cut back on water use which the citizens did.. and then due to reduced revenues, ATL added a surcharge to the water bills and raised rates.

Gotta love it...

That's why Surreal and I live in Coweta. We Coweteans think of everything north of Atlanta Hartsfield International as "yankee" :D. We also don't wear shoes and think our cousins are kinda cute.

Well. . .I actually do wear shoes, and I don't necessarily think my cousins are cute.

;)

But yes, everything NORTH of the 10 Localizer is Yankee country to me.

Brews again here soon?

Back