Oh SFO tower

Whatever their other faults (of which there are very few, really), I have had zero no-chill C/As at Brown. But I've only seen the four-engine wheelchair from the assistant-gunner's position...from riding in the back it seems like 75/76 guys sure do like to drive it like they stole it (on the ground).
We got things to do 🤣. I was no slow driver as a CA either but I have seen some guys taxi like they were preparing for a SWA interview. I notice it on the MD too. Having a light airplane doesn’t make it any better either, which is the case a lot of the time.

I like like to set the tone and pace with a slow checklist.
It’s been less than a handful and the weird part is they don’t rush through checklist or briefings. It’s just something about not being able to move when we’re supposed to be or having to wait for something. I’m thinking “it’s ok we’re on the clock”.

I notice it on the MD too. Having a light airplane doesn’t make it any better either, which is the case a lot of the time.

The number of times I've been cruising along Bravo in stately Queen-like fashion and some lunatic charges by on Charlie in an MD...all I can think of is the poor J/Sers who are basically in a giant washing machine with just those two little, well, washing-machine windows to look out of as everything bounces and squeaks...

The number of times I've been cruising along Bravo in stately Queen-like fashion and some lunatic charges by on Charlie in an MD...all I can think of is the poor J/Sers who are basically in a giant washing machine with just those two little, well, washing-machine windows to look out of as everything bounces and squeaks...
Is there a window in the bunk? Just asking...

Yeah ... I really don't get some of these folks out there. There's no need to stress the system, safety margins, your crew, or the poor atc folks who are trying to do their best in awful conditions.

Things take the time they take.

At my regional in DTW, there was one CA who would make a comment about rampers, of a certain race operating at a certain speed.

I tried with a “it’s -10 degrees out there and they’re getting minimum wage, I think they’re doing the best they can with the manpower they have,” but that didn’t get anywhere with him, as we sat in our heated flight deck.

At my regional in DTW, there was one CA who would make a comment about rampers, of a certain race operating at a certain speed.

I tried with a “it’s -10 degrees out there and they’re getting minimum wage, I think they’re doing the best they can with the manpower they have,” but that didn’t get anywhere with him, as we sat in our heated flight deck.
I'm going to ask a question. Was he right compared to any other ramp crews? Stereotypes, they're all born in some reality.

I'm going to ask a question. Was he right compared to any other ramp crews? Stereotypes, they're all born in some reality.
I got one to break that stereotype and several other people I worked with on the ramp. We busted our a*ses whether it was a nice spring day or snowing sideways and 5 degrees out. It’s bizarre to see some folks criticize from a 350/hr seat where they don’t even have to get up to have the FA bring them coffee. I never noticed a difference in my past life or here at brown. What I did notice was what stations were mainline and what stations were contracted.

Last edited:
They have to get off the ground before they have a BTB 🤣.

Attachments

• giphy (1).gif
    giphy (1).gif
    667.9 KB · Views: 5
That might've been true in 1980 but nobody operates that way in 2024. I think these days perpetuating non-existent racism is an industry and is actually hurting people of color. How hard is it to realize no one cares what color anyone is?

I guess this guy does…

We have guys who will just about lose their S when the marshaller won’t let them start moving on the ramp or a parking spot isn’t ready. Although the latter is frustrating if you’re heading to the hotel, we’re still on the clock and that’s all I care about honestly. I think some people aren’t really flying if they don’t get worked up at least once during a flight.
We came into Planet Elvis the other night to a completely fouled gate. In addition to that, one of the loaders broke down and they were trying to get it running and then tried to push it with tugs. Neither one of us got upset. We just sat there and laughed at the comedy of errors...especially when the 2 tugs where trying to push the loader out of the way.

I mean I felt bad we were blocking access to like 6 gates on the Southeast Ramp, but there was nothing we could do and getting upset certainly wouldn't speed things up. Someone made a comment on the radio and I just told them we had a really fouled gate and that we were sorry.

Getting your blood pressure up does nothing to make things go faster.

We came into Planet Elvis the other night to a completely fouled gate. In addition to that, one of the loaders broke down and they were trying to get it running and then tried to push it with tugs. Neither one of us got upset. We just sat there and laughed at the comedy of errors...especially when the 2 tugs where trying to push the loader out of the way.

I mean I felt bad we were blocking access to like 6 gates on the Southeast Ramp, but there was nothing we could do and getting upset certainly wouldn't speed things up. Someone made a comment on the radio and I just told them we had a really fouled gate and that we were sorry.

Getting your blood pressure up does nothing to make things go faster.

One of the quickest things I learned as a new Captain was that whatever mood or energy you put out there got reflected back at you by an entire crew :p

As a result I tried really hard to stay as cool as the other side of the pillow no matter what was happening. :p

Back