Oh Reeeeeeeeeealy?

On it's face it doesnt seem too far-fetched. i believe there was a documented case recently of a pax getting the boot from a SWA flight for tweeting thier 'issues' with the gate agents....

What the story doesn't appear to say is whether this was the same pax that said the pilot was drunk....

As always I am sure the truth is somewherein the middle.

If a passenger accuses us or jokes that we are drunk, it's time to delay the flight to get tested. As someone who takes their job and that sort of accusation quite seriously, I don't think I would allow that passenger to continue on that flight.

When are people going to learn that it's not okay to make those sorts of jokes?

We have a "process", but if someone said, on Twitter, that they thought I was impaired, they're going to send us back to the gate for testing and if the accusers answer is "LOL, I was kidding", we'll find them a comfortable chair in the terminal and alternate travel arrangements.

Someone made a "joke" several years ago when I was on the mad dog pretty loudly, the captain said, "Put your stuff away, let's step into the jetway and call the duty pilot" and that was it for about 45 minutes.

Yeah I'd say that fighting the constant urge to strangle someone who accused me of flying lit would interfere with the zen of my flying duties, if indeed chick is the one who fired the d-bomb.

What @Derg said. If I hear someone crack a joke about the crew being drunk I have no issue calling the MOD and getting tested. Same thing goes if we arrive at the airport late (I.e. Crew rest issues thus delaying the flight) and I hear someone say "what? Did you guys need to sober up from a late night?" That's it, we are now delayed even more, thanks to the jokester.

If you suspect a crewmember of being impaired, there are many ways have someone look into it.

Twitter ain't one of them.

It doesnt say she was accusing the pilot on Twitter. The story said 'someone' accused the pilot of being drunk. This seperate individual was on Twitter (according to her) live tweeting....

Im guessing she left a few details out fo the story.

We have a "process", but if someone said, on Twitter, that they thought I was impaired, they're going to send us back to the gate for testing and if the accusers answer is "LOL, I was kidding", we'll find them a comfortable chair in the terminal and alternate travel arrangements.

Someone made a "joke" several years ago when I was on the mad dog pretty loudly, the captain said, "Put your stuff away, let's step into the jetway and call the duty pilot" and that was it for about 45 minutes.

Ladies and Gentlemen....This is your Captain speaking. Thanks to your fellow passenger in 25A we are now delayed until the medical staff can come and verify that we are indeed sober.....

Wow. Yeah read the twitter feed. I wouldn't want this psycho soccer mom in the same sky, let alone the same aircraft.

She's about to get a lot of stuff she doesn't want on her Twitter feed. When you put yourself out there like she did, you can expect a response and a lot of it is not going to be positive.

As for the pilot being irate, yeah, I'd be irate, too. What the person accusing the pilot of being drunk is like someone walking into a restaurant and saying "I saw some rats outside, hope they're not on the menu."

If you're accused of being drunk, having been drinking, high, etc, even if it's an off-handed "joke", you don't really have a choice but to delay/cancel the flight in order to be tested. Imagine a comment like this being ignored, you continue with your flight and, parish the thought, you're plane is hit by a stray bolt of lightning that is born of clear air. Who knows? Or maybe after you land and start to taxi, a baggage guy runs into your plane as you taxi in.
NOW you've got big problems!!! Drunk or not, SOMEONE will recall the comment having been made and will talk about it, how they heard you were drunk and how just because you don't test drunk now doesn't mean you didn't sober up in flight........

Anyway, nothing good can come from idiots making these comments. May as well wave real big and scream "Hi Jack!" just to see the response.....
You can't fix stupid!!

Like @Derg said, we sort of have a process that we follow if someone accuses or even jokes that if we have been drinking. Apparently the lady in question didn't make the comment but it was her actions afterwards in the gate area is what got her the boot.

https://twitter.com/drinkwaterevent
described pilot as "irate" and "unruly". Probably what got her bounced.
I still can't figure out if the passenger making the "joke" got tossed.

Oh yeah, I can guarantee I'd "expand the team" and it'd end up with the passenger off the jet.

I've been "through the process" over a joke once and people need to understand that is isn't cute, you have no "right" to say such things without redress and social media is nothing more than a megaphone with ones and zeroes.

Back