Officially endorsed by Doug as a cool guy to fly with

Bob_Beziat

Okay, Doug. You finally got me out of my lurker mode with that "cool guy to fly with" comment in the "You too!" thread!!!

I'm a Delta pilot with Doug, and as he mentioned in that "You too!" post, I instruct at TAB Express.

I contacted Doug about 6 months ago about registering to become a member of Jetcareers.com, but I was reluctant to come on because I didn't want to be any kind of official spokesman for TAB.

Well, Doug let the cat out of the bag, so here I am!!!

I'm still not going to give out any official info on TAB, nor will I ever try to tell anybody on this forum that they ought to go there. I'm a part time intructor there, not involved in any kind of management position, I just love to teach people to fly. I will support the place, because I think they are a great flight school (and that's all they are), and they have a very good training program.

As an ATP and CFI and II in airplanes and helicopters as well as a CFI glider, I love everything aviation. I was a general aviation pilot before I was ever in the military or airlines.

I will throw out my $.02 on flight training when asked. Doug, email or pm me and I'll arrange to submit a "Perspectives" article if you like. I think it will probably contain some of my thoughts on flight training your way to a professional pilot career.

I'm glad I finally came out of the lurker mode closet, and look forward to some good discussions here!!!

Bob

And welcome aboard, sir. As one of Doug's college roommates, I too have the fortune of having this gentleman as a good friend and aquaintence.

Bob!

Hey man, I'm digging around in my flight kit looking for something during my recurrent checkride and ran into your Express AR route VOR cross radial chart! ("We don't need no stinkin' GPS!")

Thanks for 'de-lurking' yourself because I think we could use some more PIC time around here!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And welcome aboard, sir. As one of Doug's college roommates, I too have the fortune of having this gentleman as a good friend and aquaintence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aww, shucks!

I like that phrase 'de-lurking'!!!

Welcome aboard, I too have meet Doug and Kristie! If you go back and have a look at Yikes, I've got stalkers in London!

DSCN0172.JPG

^^ I just need Mr. JC to sign it, then I will make a poster of it and hang it on my wall next to Holly Valance!! OH LA LA!

[ QUOTE ]
hang it on my wall next to Holly Valance

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate to bust your bubble but she can't sing very well, saw her live at a christmas concert and it was all dubbed. She is kinda hot though, I'll give her that. Plus I don't mind some of her songs, it's just rather manufactured is all.

I hope you plan to see stuff other than just Ramsey St when you come here, it is really just a street where people live like any other, only the people get free lawn service in exchange for using the area for filming.
tongue.gif

It looks like "Aunt Esther" on the bottom left portion of the picture. Unless all of you guys are too young to remember "Sanford & Son"

Do not worry I know there is more to do then visit Ramsey street, you can also see the school 'Erinsborough High' and the hospital 'Erinsborough Hospital'. And then there are the parks they use, and.......

I might have to delay my trip by a month or 2 now due to some commitments at work. I am just looking forward to going.

[ QUOTE ]
Do not worry I know there is more to do then visit Ramsey street, you can also see the school 'Erinsborough High' and the hospital 'Erinsborough Hospital'. And then there are the parks they use, and.......

I might have to delay my trip by a month or 2 now due to some commitments at work. I am just looking forward to going.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

Neighbours is an Australian soap I was addicted to when I was in the UK (I watched it before I left for London to meet you and Kristie, that is how bad I was). So with going to the area and all it is like an Beverly Hills 90210 addicted talking about going to LA just to go shopping on Rodeo Drive.

Hi Rich!!!

For those of you that don't know Richman, he and I instructed in helicopters together in S. Florida about 12 to 13 years ago.

Rich is now with Northwest, so if you have questions about what's going on there, he's a good point of contact for info.

Bob

[ QUOTE ]
...Thanks for 'de-lurking' yourself because I think we could use some more PIC time around here!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug

I know you smoked me out with that comment on that other thread. I imagine you can probably see lists of lurkers, and you probably saw me looking in all the time. Well, that did it!!

As far as PIC, I don't know 'bout that!!. After almost 7 years as a captain on the 727, 737 and MD-88, I'm going back to first officer this summer. I'm projected for training in July as a 767ER F/O out of ATL. I'm going back to what I did 14 years at Pan Am and what I was doing in '91 when I came to Delta with the Pan Am acquisition. Not exactly the career progression I'd like, but I just can't hold any Capt job or anything bigger (777, 767-400) as an F/O If I can just get a retirement out of this industry before they declare bankruptcy and terminate the pension plan I'll be happy. I've got 22 months til age 60. I don't mean to sound negative about the industry, but it is changing and I'm ready to get out of the way for you younger guys. Being an airline pilot, or any kind of professional pilot, is the best job in the world!!

I look forward to contributing to your great forum.

Bob

Oh yea, Sanford and Son! My dad and I watched it every week.
Loved Aunt Ester with her " WHOA Fred, the Lord iz gunna git 'ya!"
mad.gif

With left hand on heart, wobbling left and right- "Hold on Elizabeth, I'm comin' to join you!"
grin.gif

Bob liked to rely on VOR charts as back-up and not to nav mainly on GPS I take it? "we don't need no stinkin' GPS!"

[ QUOTE ]
Bob liked to rely on VOR charts as back-up and not to nav mainly on GPS I take it? "we don't need no stinkin' GPS!"

[/ QUOTE ]

SKR

VOR???? Fagitabowtit!!!! We're talking ADF nav down the AR's (Atlantic Routes) from North Carolina down to FLL and PBI. Here we are in the 21st century and we're still using 1920's nav systems on the Delta Express B-737's. We've got 2 VOR's, 2 DME's, and an ADF.

I made up a chart (unofficial, of course!) to try and keep on the AR's using the VOR's on shore to cross-check radials and distances. I still use it - I'm sitting in FLL now having just come down from EWR on the AR's.

I know every C-152 has at least a hand-held GPS on board these days, but not the Delta Express 737's!!!!!

Bob
Still navigating like Lindbergh!

Ahh memories!

If the people only knew that we were following contrails and doing basic dead reckoning over the ocean, there would have been a mutiny!

Hiya Bob, well you learn something everyday! Very interesting!

I'm a three year GA pilot and have little direct exposure to the world of heavy iron but I research and learn from many places everyday, including this forum and was surprised to learn of your "Lindbergh" nav panel in something as big as a B-737. You would think they would invest in GPS, but probably not due to the cost etc.That's ok, we don't need no stinkin' GPS, we got our basic and ever reliable VOR,DME, and ADF. Keeps your skills sharp. I got a kick out of your makeshift chart.Gotta do what you gotta do.

I fly three club (Hillsboro Flying Club) planes here in Ore. and all three have a basic non-moving map gps and I never use them for sole nav. I prefer the old-fashioned VOR/DME and ADF with a sec chart. I tune in the gps as back-up. It only tells you left or right of course and dist.

Sounds like the Delta B-737's the one for me... forgittaboutit!!
grin.gif

Somewhere around next Jan. I will be enrollong at Flight Safety for the airline program, and will always keep my basic nav skills sharp and use the GPS for back-up.

So as my old NY buddies would say, gwangeddouttahere!!!
smirk.gif

Ron

[ QUOTE ]
Following contrails!!? What if the other guys lost following the other guy following...
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Therein lies the rub. Some of the FMS jets swerve off east over METTA so you've got to pay attention to your cross radials on the AR route (thanks to Bob's chart!)

We used the contrails as a cross reference. We'd do overwater routes using a NDB for primary navigation. If there was any convective activity, the NDB was more or less useless!

Now I'm a mad dog FO so with the spanky laser ring gyros in the IRS makes AR routes a non-event.

But ahh, the good old days!

Back