Off the Street Hiring ending?

CPL22586

I heard that the FAA may stop Off The Street hiring because too many under qualified controllers washing out. Does anyone know whether or not this rumor is true about the FAA stopping off the street hiring?

it's probably just a rumor because of all the stupid noobs trying to go lvl 12 straight outta boot camp.

I've been applying for 8 months now and I'm getting ready for PEPC and all that fun jazzy stuff.

I'm sure someone in-the-know would have posted something definitive by now if it was actually happening.

lets not spread rumors.

Actually my CTI friend in OKC now said he was told the same thing. He told me that a few days ago. Who knows.

it's probably just a rumor because of all the stupid noobs trying to go lvl 12 straight outta boot camp.

I've been applying for 8 months now and I'm getting ready for PEPC and all that fun jazzy stuff.

I'm sure someone in-the-know would have posted something definitive by now if it was actually happening.

lets not spread rumors.

Amen to that, Brother. I was just replying to someone over at StuckMic who was wanting to go to DFW tower. Have these guys ever even been to an airport that size? Try controlling traffic there! DFW works more operations in about an hour than my airport probably sees all day.

i certainly hope that is not true.. I would hope with all of the projected hiring needs, that the OTS hiring will continue!

I don't see how they could fill the void created over the next couple of years without hiring OTS.

I hope they continue. I would like to stay in aviation and think ATC would make a great career. Anyone know when the next anouncement might be? (if there is one)

Lots of the PUBNAT 1 OTS hiries are just starting in their facility, and no OTS from PUBNAT 2 are even in OKC yet so it seems like it would not make sense that the conclusion to stop OTS hiring could be made so soon. Also while I understand this is not always the case but in theory after OKC there should be no real difference in the qualifications of an OTS applicant vs. CTI, and all the initial skills you need to succeed are suposed to be taught to you in OKC.

Lots of the PUBNAT 1 OTS hiries are just starting in their facility, and no OTS from PUBNAT 2 are even in OKC yet so it seems like it would not make sense that the conclusion to stop OTS hiring could be made so soon. Also while I understand this is not always the case but in theory after OKC there should be no real difference in the qualifications of an OTS applicant vs. CTI, and all the initial skills you need to succeed are suposed to be taught to you in OKC.

This is what I am thinking. How many people could have possibly been hired OTS and ALREADY washed out? The time-frame just doesn't seem to add up.

This is what I am thinking. How many people could have possibly been hired OTS and ALREADY washed out? The time-frame just doesn't seem to add up.

There was perhaps one nationwide announcement and a few state specific announcements in '07. I'm not really sure how much ahead of the PUBNAT1 group those folks are, I know some of them were getting OKC dates along with the PUBNAT1 crowd.

Without a doubt former military controllers have the highest washout rate. I was told this by upper FAA management. That's why they are scaling back hiring of military controllers and hire more CTI graduates. Perhaps the FAA can just transfer already rated FAA controllers from smaller facilities to the more difficult facilities to bridge the gap of experience. Thus giving a controller a fighting chance when they arrive at level 10-12 facilities. The practice of putting controllers without any experience in high level facilities is just plain moronic. This only sets the controller and the FAA up for failure.

I have consistently heard from a few different veteran controllers they have heard the same too. It's not due to the washout rate however. Supposedly the FAA will be caught up on their hiring in 8-12 months and then will only hire CTI grads again or military controllers. I guess we will see.

I have consistently heard from a few different veteran controllers they have heard the same too. It's not due to the washout rate however. Supposedly the FAA will be caught up on their hiring in 8-12 months and then will only hire CTI grads again or military controllers. I guess we will see.

I thought they wanted to hire 1,000 + controllers a year for approximately ten years starting in 2005/2006.

Without a doubt former military controllers have the highest washout rate. I was told this by upper FAA management.

Hahahaha what a crock of crap. Please don't spread rumors that you can't back up with cold hard facts. I have been told differently from "upper FAA management", and I am sure the next guy two rows down was told something completely opposite.

*EDIT* Also, scaling back the hiring of VRAs? You wouldn't know it considering once again all the announcements that are up on the job listings are for VRA. Most "former military controllers" have been working real live actual air traffic for 4+ years before even applying to the FAA. Why would the FAA shun them?

Perhaps the FAA can just transfer already rated FAA controllers from smaller facilities to the more difficult facilities to bridge the gap of experience. Thus giving a controller a fighting chance when they arrive at level 10-12 facilities. The practice of putting controllers without any experience in high level facilities is just plain moronic. This only sets the controller and the FAA up for failure.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (which I'm sure you'll do), but the reason they can't get veteran controllers from lower level facilities to bid up to the higher ones is because the controllers would take a pay cut once they got there. Right now, they're working under Green Book pay at their lower level facility. If they transferred to a larger facility, they'd only receive White Book salary for the new facility. Why take a pay cut to work more traffic? Also, the FAA won't pay relocation costs to the new facility (with the exception of some high need areas like NY).

Would you relocate your family at your own expense so that you could work more traffic, for less pay, and not even know whether you'd check out at the larger facility?

Back