Odd?

not to sound naive, but whats the ruling on straping luggage into a pax seat? I was under the impression it was a no-no.

Not sure about Freedom's rules....

But i'm pretty sure that if that was done in our planes (Comair), they still wouldnt be counted as pink tags (20 lbs). Now we have entered the "cabin luggage" eg. oversized items that people pay for a seat for-like big music equipment and so.....

New weight becomes an average passenger weight. (189 winter ops)

I dont have the FSM handy, but im thinking thats how it would be.

I did find that odd when switching to the Whacker that all bags in the back are 30 lbs, even the gate checks, when on the Saab the gate checks were 20 lbs, and the checked 30. It does make the math easier though.

The worst time in the Saab was when school was starting or ending in Ithaca. All the students would bring all their stuff and every checked bag was a heavy bag. We were never able to take very many people, and of course the flights were oversold, leaving more bags and people to be taken on the next flight, which was similarly weight restricted.

I do like that about the Whacker, just load it up and go, although I did have to hold for a little bit the other night to get below our mldg weight. Never had to do that on the Saab!

As long as it was carry-on gate bags that were brought out of cargo and strapped into seats it's okay. Removing a checked bag to do that with would have been a no-no.

Baggage can be strapped in a pax provided it is not blocking anyone's access to the aisle or an exit. So it can't be in an exit row, or in an aisle seat. Possibly even a row FWD or AFT of an exit row, for the same reason a baby's carseat can not be in an exit row OR a row FWD or AFT of an exit row. (To allow for the exit to be tossed into one of those rows of seats.)

I remember doing so much rearranging of baggage on the ATR. At least on the ATR we had cargo space in the front and back of the plane so it was a little easier to finagle...

As long as it was carry-on gate bags that were brought out of cargo and strapped into seats it's okay. Removing a checked bag to do that with would have been a no-no.

Baggage can be strapped in a pax provided it is not blocking anyone's access to the aisle or an exit. So it can't be in an exit row, or in an aisle seat. Possibly even a row FWD or AFT of an exit row, for the same reason a baby's carseat can not be in an exit row OR a row FWD or AFT of an exit row. (To allow for the exit to be tossed into one of those rows of seats.)

I remember doing so much rearranging of baggage on the ATR. At least on the ATR we had cargo space in the front and back of the plane so it was a little easier to finagle...
Toss the exit in a row? What happened to throwing the door onto the wing as hard as you could to see if you could bounce it off and have it land on the ground, thus damaging the wing of the aircraft that just let you down...."Bad Airplane!":D

It is a max zero fuel weight thing- I believe xjet paid some $$$ to get a higher 0 fuel weight for the 145. I don't think MAG wants to pay for the paper that says we can load more.

Well, we could easily at one point when we had hundreds of millions of dollars in the bank but we still didn't. I believe OJ's theory is that the code share partner should pay for it if they want more ability to carry things.

It is a max zero fuel weight thing- I believe xjet paid some $$$ to get a higher 0 fuel weight for the 145. I don't think MAG wants to pay for the paper that says we can load more.

We actually have quite an extensive weight and balance program on aircraft. We split the cabin into 5 zones, have winter/summer weights, different weights for gate checks and checked bags, we count empty galley carts and even get a little boost if we have a female crew member in the cockpit. We did structural mods and upped the weights on the ERs and LRs (even upped the engines on the ERs). The ERs can now almost carry a full load and it's rare to get a weight restricted LR now (although it climbs like a dog (even worse than usual) in the summer). The XRs are quite an airplane. You'll bulk out in the cargo hold before you'll ever max out in weight. The only time I've ever been weight restricted in an XR is coming out of COS when the long runway was closed, departing north in the summer. Even then, it was only by a seat or 2.

We paid a pretty penny for all that stuff, but it makes us more marketable to anyone that wants us.

Come on, someone has to want us. Right? Anyone? Anybody?

We actually have quite an extensive weight and balance program on aircraft. We split the cabin into 5 zones, have winter/summer weights, different weights for gate checks and checked bags, we count empty galley carts and even get a little boost if we have a female crew member in the cockpit. We did structural mods and upped the weights on the ERs and LRs (even upped the engines on the ERs). The ERs can now almost carry a full load and it's rare to get a weight restricted LR now (although it climbs like a dog (even worse than usual) in the summer). The XRs are quite an airplane. You'll bulk out in the cargo hold before you'll ever max out in weight. The only time I've ever been weight restricted in an XR is coming out of COS when the long runway was closed, departing north in the summer. Even then, it was only by a seat or 2.

We paid a pretty penny for all that stuff, but it makes us more marketable to anyone that wants us.

Come on, someone has to want us. Right? Anyone? Anybody?
:yeahthat:
See, some airlines care if they are marketable, others just provide a crappy service, with crappy airplanes, and don't care.
Then again, R. Anderson did answer the letter I posted on here, and stated that he goes with the cheaper supplier, even if service sucks ass, so I guess Freedom can continue to provide their crappy service on crappy airplanes and it's ok with Delta....until they go bankrupt and go away.

I saw this happen quite often when I worked ramp on the express side. They would ask me to grab 1-4 carry on and they would place them closet or in an overhead bin.

We used to bring bags in the cabin when I worked at the commuters. Bags in the cabin are part of the passengers total weight and is counted as a carry on bag. Bags in the cargo bin had to be counted fully. If you brought a bag into the cabin...all of sudden it didn't weigh anything.

Of course the bag should conform to the FAA's size limitation for carry ons...

Oh, I certainly remember those days!

Hard to imagine that Skyways gone now... :(

:yeahthat:
See, some airlines care if they are marketable, others just provide a crappy service, with crappy airplanes, and don't care.
Then again, R. Anderson did answer the letter I posted on here, and stated that he goes with the cheaper supplier, even if service sucks ass, so I guess Freedom can continue to provide their crappy service on crappy airplanes and it's ok with Delta....until they go bankrupt and go away.
The Two Minute Hate is already over, sorry you fail. You'll have to wait until tomorrow.

The Two Minute Hate is already over, sorry you fail. You'll have to wait until tomorrow.
Not hate, just a dislike for the airline (not the crews) and a disliking of JO and his business practices. Then again, I'm sure most of his employees don't like him or his company either :)

Oh yeah, and that is one great avatar!

At PDT once a bag is in the cargo area it is NOT allowed to come inside the aircraft, even if it was yellow tagged at the gate.

Not hate, just a dislike for the airline (not the crews) and a disliking of JO and his business practices. Then again, I'm sure most of his employees don't like him or his company either :)

Oh yeah, and that is one great avatar!

Sorry, it was the "crappy service" comment that got me riled up. When we're not limited by things outside our control (like having to bump pax off to get the airplane in CG / under weight, mx, etc) then I am of the opinion we provide rather good service.

Thanks, I added the santa hat myself :)

Back