Occupational Standards?

Yep. I know it's been said here before, but I just think it's silly that my first job outside of flight instructing was flying a piper chieftan carrying 700lbs of bank mail and it required that I have atleast 1200hrs experience. I could have easily gotten my first airline job flying right seat in a jet carrying 50+ passengers and only have less than 800hrs experience in some cases. I know that there's a captain in there and all but it just doesn't make much sense to me.

Even now where I'm an ATP with a type rating, I still feel that there's so much more to learn. With that being said I understand that you never stop learning in this career.

They could start by not hiring people with 250 hours.:laff::laff::laff:

We just went through a period where airlines couldn't get applicants. Even when minmums were dropped to what were essentially CMEL minimums, airlines (regionals) were having trouble filling classes. You can only hire the people that apply.

We just went through a period where airlines couldn't get applicants. Even when minmums were dropped to what were essentially CMEL minimums, airlines (regionals) were having trouble filling classes. You can only hire the people that apply.

If they would have raised the starting pay, there would have been enough applicants. Not everyone is willing to sell their soul for a "jet career." It is embarrassing what those guys make.

If they would have raised the starting pay, there would have been enough applicants. Not everyone is willing to sell their soul for a "jet career." It is embarrassing what those guys make.

How do you raise pay when the company is already losing money, and your customer base isn't willing to pay the fares that it would take to raise salaries?

Not everyone who is working at a 121 regional sold their soul for a "jet career."

Come on comrade.

How do you raise pay when the company is already losing money, and your customer base isn't willing to pay the fares that it would take to raise salaries?

Sounds like they don't need to be in business anyways. If I am running a landscaping business and am barely staying afloat by paying illegal aliens to work for me, should I be in business?

Sounds like they don't need to be in business anyways. If I am running a landscaping business and am barely staying afloat by paying illegal aliens to work for me, should I be in business?

That'd mean pretty much every airline out there would be out of business. I guess that would solve the problem of hiring unqualified pilots, and not paying enough wages.

Back