Obnoxious Radio Chatter

RiddlePilot

So there I was today at Kingman, AZ on a solo cross country for my commercial... I taxi up to the hold short line for runway 21, make my announcement, and I'm greeted to someone on the frequency saying "Embry Riddle sucks!" I say "who's this?" and get no response. On the upwind I make another call, only to hear "have fun with those student loans! Haha!" Of course when I reply, he goes silent.

So is this what it's come to? I know some people have some qualms about ERAU education (I'm not without my complaints either), but do I or fellow students here have to start dealing with hecklers on the radio? Sheez!

Just had to rant!

What a d*ck. Even if Riddle did/does suck, that is a very unprofessional thing to do. If I were you I wouldn't even have given him the satisfaction of responding. Remember, what goes around comes around.

Sounds like the type of person who flips you off on the freeway, but waits until he's safely on the exit ramp.
crazy.gif

It was probably some immature idiot with a handheld transciever, who decided that he would be considered cool if he said that. Just ignore people like this.

At least you never got told to, "...cross Runway 33 and hold short of 6......and then, later, "Warrior contact departure on 118.0" after departing an UNCONTROLLED airport! Theory: bored (and lonely) college/flight "students" in a dorm adjacent to the airport.

[ QUOTE ]
I say hunt em down and kill em. Bad manners demands retaliation
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm....YAY
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I say hunt em down and kill em. Bad manners demands retaliation
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell him to land and meet me behind the hangars for a little "wall-to-wall" counseling...
grin.gif

It seems it bothered you, as I think it should.

Rude comment, and childish.

If you want to do something about it, best thing to do is contact the FCC. If they consider action necessary, the most likley thing will be someone sitting around monitoring the radio chatter in the area.

If you want to do a little investigation on your own, then simple DF gear can track down a signal to within a few feet. Only going to be able to track to it though, while they are transmitting. So if you can get someone on the ground to do the tracking is best. Be armed with a video cam as well to show who it is. Since signals a basically line of site, it should be fairly easy to triangulate the area. Ask your local CAP unit, or ham club to help give you a lesson on DF if you go this route.

If you trace it to some yahoo sitting in a plane, rather than a handheld user, I'd say your best action would be to inform the FBO/owner of the plane. They will likely be very interested in what that person is using their property for.

This searching may take a lot of effort, but in the end, you'll get the person off the airwaves if found.

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to do a little investigation on your own, then simple DF gear can track down a signal to within a few feet. Only going to be able to track to it though, while they are transmitting. So if you can get someone on the ground to do the tracking is best. Be armed with a video cam as well to show who it is. Since signals a basically line of site, it should be fairly easy to triangulate the area. Ask your local CAP unit, or ham club to help give you a lesson on DF if you go this route.

If you trace it to some yahoo sitting in a plane, rather than a handheld user, I'd say your best action would be to inform the FBO/owner of the plane. They will likely be very interested in what that person is using their property for.

This searching may take a lot of effort, but in the end, you'll get the person off the airwaves if found.

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally, I've got better things to do with my time.
cool.gif

I'm not too terribly concerned about that guy. He'll get busted sooner or later.

What I'm more concerned about is the fire that ERAU has been taking recently. As I said, I have complaints too, but the LAST place I wanna hear about it is in the plane. I'm sure this is just an isolated thing, but I just don't feel the need to prove my skills or justify where I go to school to some yahoo with a transceiver.

Oh well...water under the bridge. Thought I'd share a rant while I had one.
grin.gif

Ouch! That's about perfect, though, for the kind of person who throws that kind of comment out to someone who's flying.

Jeez, you guys are all taking this rather seriously... what's the big deal?

"Sticks and stones will break my bones..."

[ QUOTE ]
Jeez, you guys are all taking this rather seriously... what's the big deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is just like someone in a golf tournament and yelling "Noonen" while someone is putting or making noise in someones back swing. It is mean and just plain low class.

Although childish, immature, unproffesional or whatever you wanna call it...it was funny (and no, I didn't do it).
grin.gif

If it happened to me I wouldn't mind as long as it didn't interfere with the flight or happen when it was so busy you had to salvage for radio space.

Back